Signs of the Second Coming

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
From the Christian perspective, Jesus is the third Temple.

"Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." (John 2:19)

This is obviously a reference to Christ's resurrection.

The Temple had one primary purpose - to offer sacrifice to God. Because Jesus is the final sacrifice there is no need for a new Temple because there is no need for further sacrifice.

Jesus' presence on earth is in his Church where the one final sacrifice is offered "from the setting of the sun to its rising".

Christians, then, are not waiting for the third Temple to be built physically because it already exists in Christ, and to offer any sacrifice other than the one, perfect and final sacrifice of Jesus Christ would be to deny the efficacy that sacrifice.

Peace.

Steve
oh, I am so happy to have you in this thread. may I ask you to please (if it is possible) give an answer for the original question in this one thread? :)

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
From the Christian perspective, Jesus is the third Temple.

"Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." (John 2:19)

This is obviously a reference to Christ's resurrection.

The Temple had one primary purpose - to offer sacrifice to God. Because Jesus is the final sacrifice there is no need for a new Temple because there is no need for further sacrifice.

Jesus' presence on earth is in his Church where the one final sacrifice is offered "from the setting of the sun to its rising".

Christians, then, are not waiting for the third Temple to be built physically because it already exists in Christ, and to offer any sacrifice other than the one, perfect and final sacrifice of Jesus Christ would be to deny the efficacy that sacrifice.

Peace.

Steve
Steve - That is odd :confused:

Why is there years of discussion on the 3rd Temple over on CAF if that is the confirmed Christian perspective?

Many are the differences between what you stated above to be " The" Christian acceptance and as to what is discussed there.

You could then understand as to the confusion and why I ask that question.

Is there an Official Church Teaching?

God bless and regards Tony

Dec 2014
United States
However, unless "seekers" are truly open-minded, and willing to consider that Jesus and Muhammad, from a Jewish standpoint, or Muhammad, from a Christian standpoint, then they cannot conceive of the possibility that the prophecies have been fulfilled due to the hindrances of their prejudices.
Dale, you have concluded that the Christian unwillingness to accept anyone other than Jesus Christ is based upon a closed mind and prejudice. These types of comments evidence the fact that you just simply do not understand what Christians believe about Jesus.

These words of St. John of the Cross sum up the reason that Christians do not look to another:

"In giving us his Son, his only Word (for he possesses no other), he spoke everything to us at once in this sole Word—and he has no more to say... because what he spoke before to the prophets in parts, he has now spoken all at once by giving us the All Who is His Son. Any person questioning God or desiring some vision or revelation would be guilty not only of foolish behavior but also of offending him, by not fixing his eyes entirely upon Christ and by living with the desire for some other novelty."

Christ, very simply, is GOD. Now, you can deny this, but if it is true then I hope you can understand why we would need no subsequent prophets to reveal what has already been revealed fully by GOD himself.

St. Paul summed it up as follows:

“In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son.” (Hebrews 1:1-2)

And there is the difference. He has spoken to us by a Son, his only begotten Son. None of the other prophets (Adam, Seth, Enos, Enoch, Methuselah, Noah, Shem, Eber, Melchizedek, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Caleb, Hur, Jethro, Moses, Aaron, Assir, Joshua, Phinehas, Boaz, Beor, Balaam, John the Baptist) even claimed this title "Son of God". None of them, including Muhammad or Baha'u'llah, were born of a virgin. None of them, including Muhammad or Baha'u'llah, had over 500 witnesses to their bodily resurrection.

In short, Jesus is unique among all men that have walked the earth and Jesus never once mentioned anyone to come after him, as if there would be any reason for one to come after him.

So please, do not think you can just reduce our fidelity to Jesus Christ to closed mindedness or prejudice. It is based completely on WHO we believe this Person, Jesus Christ, really is; the only begotten Son of God; the Savior of the world; the Almighty God without beginning or end. He is certainly not just another prophet.

Peace.

Steve

Sep 2010
oh, I am so happy to have you in this thread. may I ask you to please (if it is possible) give an answer for the original question in this one thread? :)
Dear Maryamr - Given Steve's post above to Dale, I think this to be a very good question.

Sep 2010
In short, Jesus is unique among all men that have walked the earth and Jesus never once mentioned anyone to come after him, as if there would be any reason for one to come after him.

Peace.

Steve
Dear Steve, that is a wow statement!

That would not be the bible I read?

Dec 2014
United States
Steve - That is odd :confused:

Why is there years of discussion on the 3rd Temple over on CAF if that is the confirmed Christian perspective?

Many are the differences between what you stated above to be " The" Christian acceptance and as to what is discussed there.

You could then understand as to the confusion and why I ask that question.

Is there an Official Church Teaching?

Many things are discussed on CAF, especially on the non-Catholic religion forum of which you were a part. CAF is a public forum, not a mouthpiece for the Catholic Church. Everyone's opinions are welcome, Catholic and non-Catholic, Christian and non-Christian. So the fact that various opinions are given by people of various faith traditions says nothing, necessarily, about Catholic belief.

Is there a specific reference you would like to give from a Catholic source that disagrees with what I have said? As for a Catholic source, I can only say that the belief that Jesus is the "Third Temple" is so basic that there isn't a lot of discussion and certainly no controversy.

I searched CAF on the topic of the "Third Temple" or the "New Temple". Here is a sample of some of the posts (without the names of the posters) which seem typical:

(From a Catholic)

Question for non-Catholics (derived from another thread). What is your view on the "third temple" described in Ezekiel? I would have thought there would be ostensible unanimity that Ezekiel is describing the physical and mystical Body of Christ. It turns out that some folks believe this third temple will be a literal edifice established in Jerusalem during Christ's 1,000 year reign - complete with animal sacrifices, a high priest, walls that are 10.5 foot high, etc.

Will there be a literal third temple built in Jerusalem??
(From a member of the Church of England)

No.

The New Testament authors are unified in their ascription of the "temple" or "holy dwelling-place of God" in the new covenant to be revealed in four realities: 1) (most crucially) the Lord Jesus Christ himself (John 2:19; Col. 2:9); the church as the people of God (1 Cor. 3:16 etc); the heavenly sanctuary (Heb. 8:5); and the new creation (Rev. 21:3).

By virtue of our faith-union with Christ by the Holy Spirit, we participate in number 2) now as our present reality, we participate in number 3) now by faith (Heb. 11:1) and we shall participate in number 4) when he returns in glory.

Wow!
(From a member of Judaism)

Sometimes, over the years here, when asked questions like 'what do Jews . . . ?', I want to reply along the lines of 'on the one hand, while on the other hand, meanwhile on yet another hand'. This is one of those times so this is a kind of summary.

The necessary rebuilding of the Temple is a matter for Messiah and the Messianic Age though there are different views about whether the Temple will be physically rebuilt or whether it has already been built (in some heavenly dimension) and will appear in the earthly dimension in those glorious times.

Some Orthodox can always be found readying themselves in some sense for the great event and the resumption of the Sacrificial system. Except, of course, in the heaven-on-earth of the Messianic Age, there won't exactly be much need of sacrificial offerings.
Notice that the Catholic, Church of England and Jewish views are in alignment. I found no Christian response that represented a belief in a physical Third Temple being constructed. The possibility is held open from the Jewish perspective, but not if we are now in the messianic age, as Christians believe we are. If one believes in Christ there is simply no reason to build a third temple.

Peace.

Steve

"Conversion is like stepping across the chimney piece out of a Looking-Glass world, where everything is an absurd caricature, into the real world God made; and then begins the delicious process of exploring it limitlessly." --Evelyn Waugh, writer, Catholic convert (1930)

Last edited:
Dec 2014
United States
Dear Steve, that is a wow statement!

That would not be the bible I read?

Well, Tony, then why don't you go ahead and refute what I have said with actual verses or reasoning that we can discuss. I am happy to consider anything you wish to proffer, but it is difficult to respond to "That would not be the bible I read?". The only One I know of who would come after Jesus' ascension is the Holy Spirit, who descended upon the Apostles and many disciples at Pentecost, and Who has remained with the Church ever since. So that happened 2000 years ago.

Do you have something else, specifically?

Peace.

Steve

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Blue Planet
dear Steve
in case you have not seen the main questions in the beginning post of the thread, may i ask you to answer those questions first? (at your own time) :)

Sep 2010
Well, Tony, then why don't you go ahead and refute what I have said with actual verses or reasoning that we can discuss. I am happy to consider anything you wish to proffer, but it is difficult to respond to "That would not be the bible I read?". The only One I know of who would come after Jesus' ascension is the Holy Spirit, who descended upon the Apostles and many disciples at Pentecost, and Who has remained with the Church ever since. So that happened 2000 years ago.

Do you have something else, specifically?

Peace.

Steve
Steve - Been there done that have we not!

I will see what you post to Maryamr - God Bless and regards Tony

P/S - One day I had the intent to show my Mother in the Bible that Christ was Not God, a Trinity.

After reading the entire bible, noting all the passages that applied to this point and then much research, I had compiled over 3 x A4 pages of just passages marked in order of clarity. Many were marked Excellent Example.

I then sat down and started the reply, got about 2 lines and stopped. It then dawned on me that, if I had found so many passages with so an obvious meaning, what would be the use of this letter. It was already plain to see if one was inclined to look that way.

So all the research is still tucked into the front of the NIV study Bible and letter was discarded. :yes:

Sep 2010
We see what we see
by this we are we

do by God we see
or I see by me? :cool:

God Bless all and Regards Tony