Silence / Prophet Mohammad - Abdul Baha

Sep 2017
Earth
I have read many Hadiths of the people around the prophet Mohammad who said he laughed only little, and stayed silent a lot. The Bab was also noted to be silent prior to his declaration, and also in contemplation. but Abdul Baha was said to be humurous and I picture him joking a lot, does anybody know of any sources of Abdul Bahas silent moments around others? Anybody know why there is such a difference

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
I'm not sure there's any answer other than "different people are different".

But it might be worth mentioning that the other two are Manifestations, whereas Abdu'l-Baha is not. That might mean something, or might not. I haven't met enough Manifestations to know if they all share a certain disposition or not. :p

Sep 2017
Earth
One of his contemporary followers described him as "very taciturn, and [he] would never utter a word unless it was absolutely necessary. He did not even answer our questions. He was constantly absorbed in his own thoughts, and was preoccupied with repetition of his prayers and verses. He is described as a handsome man with a thin beard, dressed in clean clothes, wearing a green shawl and a black turban.

This is a description of The Bab I found on Wikipedia, it makes me very happy to read that. I to am very silent and find myself with so many questions in my mind and contemplating all the time and find myself feeling guilty for not being like Abdul Baha always joking and making others happy as I don’t really understand that all.

If someone enjoys video games and I buy him a game that makes him happy, but if he’s addicted I won’t and he may be sad but it’s for his own good so I don’t really understand the concept of making others happy.

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
One of his contemporary followers described him as "very taciturn, and [he] would never utter a word unless it was absolutely necessary. He did not even answer our questions. He was constantly absorbed in his own thoughts, and was preoccupied with repetition of his prayers and verses. He is described as a handsome man with a thin beard, dressed in clean clothes, wearing a green shawl and a black turban.

This is a description of The Bab I found on Wikipedia, it makes me very happy to read that. I to am very silent and find myself with so many questions in my mind and contemplating all the time and find myself feeling guilty for not being like Abdul Baha always joking and making others happy as I don’t really understand that all.
I feel exactly like you do. I am certainly more like the Bab in my disposition than like Abdu’l-Baha; yet Abdu’l-Baha is supposed to be the exemplar. I am an introvert, a quiet contemplative person. I do write a lot but I do not talk a lot. I am not sociable.

I cannot even relate to “making others happy” given I am not cheerful myself. It made me so mad when Abdu’l-Baha told those people “be happy” and as I recall it made some of them sad, because some of us cannot “be happy” all of the time. This ridiculous idea that all we have to do is “be spiritual” or close to God and then we won’t ever be sad is so ridiculous. All people cannot be that way and they should not be stigmatized for it.

1539228264656.png
If someone enjoys video games and I buy him a game that makes him happy, but if he’s addicted I won’t and he may be sad but it’s for his own good so I don’t really understand the concept of making others happy.
I do not really like clichés but happiness is an inside job. True happiness does not come from physical pleasures, material things or worldly diversions. I think that some people “feel happy” from these thingsbut it is an illusion. I think these things prevent them from discovering true happiness in spirituality because a heart cannot be divided.

The result of my sharing the Faith with them then I feel good because I know that is the most important thing I can offer anyone. I have not been very happy for the last couple of weeks because my world is coming crashing down on me owing to problems I am having with my rental house and tenant. Because of this nightmare, I cannot post hardly anything on the forum I usually post on. I feel pretty worthless as a Baha’i right now because I do not do anything else for the Faith. I know God understands but I still feel worthless. I do not like the material world. The only thing I like about it is animals and nature.

Sep 2017
Earth
I feel exactly like you do. I am certainly more like the Bab in my disposition than like Abdu’l-Baha; yet Abdu’l-Baha is supposed to be the exemplar. I am an introvert, a quiet contemplative person. I do write a lot but I do not talk a lot. I am not sociable.

I cannot even relate to “making others happy” given I am not cheerful myself. It made me so mad when Abdu’l-Baha told those people “be happy” and as I recall it made some of them sad, because some of us cannot “be happy” all of the time. This ridiculous idea that all we have to do is “be spiritual” or close to God and then we won’t ever be sad is so ridiculous. All people cannot be that way and they should not be stigmatized for it.

View attachment 230

I do not really like clichés but happiness is an inside job. True happiness does not come from physical pleasures, material things or worldly diversions. I think that some people “feel happy” from these thingsbut it is an illusion. I think these things prevent them from discovering true happiness in spirituality because a heart cannot be divided.

The result of my sharing the Faith with them then I feel good because I know that is the most important thing I can offer anyone. I have not been very happy for the last couple of weeks because my world is coming crashing down on me owing to problems I am having with my rental house and tenant. Because of this nightmare, I cannot post hardly anything on the forum I usually post on. I feel pretty worthless as a Baha’i right now because I do not do anything else for the Faith. I know God understands but I still feel worthless. I do not like the material world. The only thing I like about it is animals and nature.
I guess this is why I don’t understand what Abdul Baha means by make others happy? As how do I make someone who is not at all religious happy except for feeding one of his addictions which may make him ‘happy’ for 5 minutes it does not make much sense.

I to also am a introvert but worries me that Abdul Baha was the examplar and told us to make others happy and laugh smile and rejoice.

However I disagree with you, I do believe that spirituality is the cure for all ills, and can bring great happiness. However I don’t speak from experience well I do a little, but I do believe that.

I also offer the faith as I feel it’s the best thing to give someone.

My world also crashes down a lot, I find myself depressed a lot, but it’s good for me as I am experimenting the faith and if it truly makes me happy, and what even is happiness? If I find it does not make me happy or help me then I do not see a wisdom in sharing it with others, however I’m finding it does catch me when I fall, so I see great wisdom in sharing it with others

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
I guess this is why I don’t understand what Abdul Baha means by make others happy? As how do I make someone who is not at all religious happy except for feeding one of his addictions which may make him ‘happy’ for 5 minutes it does not make much sense.
I would not say religious people because not all religious people are spiritual, but I know what you mean. If someone is not spiritual (even if they have a religion) and they live for the material world enjoyments, they are already happy with those things so they probably won’t be receptive to spiritual happiness. True spiritual happiness is going to require them to sacrifice some of their material world attachments and most people do not want to sacrifice what they want for a nobler purpose.
I to also am a introvert but worries me that Abdul Baha was the examplar and told us to make others happy and laugh smile and rejoice.
I just have to understand what Abdu’l-Baha said as a general injunction. Since most people are extroverts, Abdu’l-Baha was not going to accommodate those of us who aren’t... We just have to make our own way in life.
However I disagree with you, I do believe that spirituality is the cure for all ills, and can bring great happiness. However I don’t speak from experience well I do a little, but I do believe that.
I can agree with you that ideally spirituality is the cure for all ills, but in reality not all people are spiritual and even spiritual people are not always spiritual enough to rise above the exigencies of life in the material world.

“O thou seeker of the Kingdom! Thy letter was received. Thou hast written of the severe calamity that hath befallen thee—the death of thy respected husband. That honourable man hath been so subjected to the stress and strain of this world that his greatest wish was for deliverance from it. Such is this mortal abode: a storehouse of afflictions and suffering. It is ignorance that binds man to it, for no comfort can be secured by any soul in this world, from monarch down to the most humble commoner. If once this life should offer a man a sweet cup, a hundred bitter ones will follow; such is the condition of this world. The wise man, therefore, doth not attach himself to this mortal life and doth not depend upon it; at some moments, even, he eagerly wisheth for death that he may thereby be freed from these sorrows and afflictions. Thus it is seen that some, under extreme pressure of anguish, have committed suicide.
As to thy husband, rest assured. He will be immersed in the ocean of pardon and forgiveness and will become the recipient of bounty and favour. Strive thine utmost to give his child a Bahá’í training so that when he attaineth maturity he may be merciful, illumined and heavenly.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 200
I also offer the faith as I feel it’s the best thing to give someone.
I do not normally bring up the Faith unless it just happened to come up in conversation, which is rare for me in real life because I do not talk to many people. I do not even offer the faith online either unless it comes up in conversation as it is related to a thread on a forum.
My world also crashes down a lot, I find myself depressed a lot, but it’s good for me as I am experimenting the faith and if it truly makes me happy, and what even is happiness? If I find it does not make me happy or help me then I do not see a wisdom in sharing it with others, however I’m finding it does catch me when I fall, so I see great wisdom in sharing it with others.
I do not normally get depressed anymore but I do get anxious and worried when certain things happen, like my tenant lying to me and threatening me. Then I just get angry and after I calm down enough to think I do what I have to do to protect myself. I am usually able to resolve most material world problems if I put my mind to it. I just don’t like having to take my mind off spiritual things to deal with material things, but I just have to keep reminding myself that it is only temporary, till I get the problems resolved. My life is more complicated than I want it to be but there is really no way I can change it right now, so I just try to weather the storms.