So I became Baha'i a few months ago...

May 2011
United States
But the only people who know this are other Baha'is. I was Muslim before, and still consider myself a Muslim, but I know others would not. I am afraid of the reaction of my "leaving Islam" and expect possibly even threats. Is it okay to hide your faith?

Another thing,
You know, I have always been a bit of a loner. I love going to Muslim events. I actually have friends there. When it comes to the Baha'i community, sometimes I feel a little bit ignored. Like they just hung around me enough to see me convert then left me in the dark. It is hard to keep my faith this way.

Jul 2011
Alberta Canada
Hi. I just wanted to say that I am sorry to hear that you are feeling ignored by your community right now. I hope that this will change soon. Not being there in your community its hard to comment on reasons, but one thought occured to me: Could it be that you are no longer being treated like a guest and are simply considered one of the family? You know how when people come visit we will offer then refreshments and kind of cater to them and give them lots of attention. But when family is together we generally assume they will help themselves.
I experienced a similar thing when moving into a new community. In the beginning I got a lot of attention, being introduced to people and given miscellaneous community information. But soon I was just expected to get in there and be a part of it. It was hard for me at first, as I can be kind of timid sometimes, but it got easier.
I wish I could give you more comfort in dealing with this. I pray that you will soon feel a greater sense of unity within your community.

Sep 2010
Earth
But the only people who know this are other Baha'is. I was Muslim before, and still consider myself a Muslim, but I know others would not. I am afraid of the reaction of my "leaving Islam" and expect possibly even threats. Is it okay to hide your faith?

Another thing,
You know, I have always been a bit of a loner. I love going to Muslim events. I actually have friends there. When it comes to the Baha'i community, sometimes I feel a little bit ignored. Like they just hung around me enough to see me convert then left me in the dark. It is hard to keep my faith this way.
Put your trust in God and do not hide your Faith, all will be good :yes:

It is up to you to have a positive attitude and move forward in Faith. You will find a positive attitude will inspire others to participate :cool:

If your aim is true, then you will be provided for.

Cheers Tony

Jun 2011
Somewhere "in this immensity"

Another thing,
Brother,

You just need to give your community time, and make some effort to build friendships with them. Being Baha'i doesn't solve being human, and all relationships that are quality take time and work to establish, so don't be discouraged or give up on the Baha'is.

As for your friends in the Muslim community, I hope you will be able to retain your friends while being a Baha'i, but it is possible and even likely that many of those you felt were your dearest friends may reject you for changing your faith, especially when many Muslims consider Baha'is as apostates, or believe that our religion is not a real religion. Hopefully you will not experience this, but you should be prepared for that possibility.

It is important for you to be open about your faith. You live in America, so your life is probably not in danger over your faith, and there is nothing to be ashamed of or hide. This is who you are, and anyone who loves you our is a friend, needs to do so knowing the real you. Otherwise, it is not really you that the love, but someone they imagined.

Trust in God, and be faithful to him, and all will work out for the best in the end.

Sep 2010
Louisiana
Change is difficult

I like the post that says now you are family. It is not unusual to be a Baha'i and not have much in common with other Baha'is. It may be difficult to have personal friends with common interests b/c of that. It will take time. I think it is okay to take time to adjust, but ultimately one does not hide being a Baha'i. I hope you will discuss this with the Baha'is around you and or find someone. Consulting with the Local Spiritual Assembly may help or an Auxilliary Board Member (ABM). I am sure they have relaxed about you since you have become a Baha'i, but you still need them, so let them know. Transition is difficult and especially for you.

American Muslims are rare, so we may not fully understand, and probably do not have any experience. You are important, very. I am sorry we do not understand you situation more. Maybe by surviving this change you may be able to help others. Previously Christian Baha'is will not have a clue. You have certainly been challenged by this historic change you have made. One would expect it ought to be graceful and easy. Reality is there is ignorance and misunderstanding. You are immediately called to serve by surviving this unsettled time. There will be more Muslims, but you are sorely needed. You are also a bridge between cultures, and I don't think Americans are generally as warm, especially men. Use the eyes of justice when you view others and consider your own flaws that may be clouding your vision. This is a time of fear that will require courage. You are beloved of Baha'u'llah and are being tested. You will look back and see this if you remain firm. It will be of great comfort and joy.

You do not have to do this alone. After typing the above I added that about the ABM. They are very important and I hope you will find a way to contact yours. They can be confidential. I have no doubt this is difficult for you. Pray and read the Writings and put this in God's hands. Kam kam ruz bih ruz, day by day, little by little. Do not do this so alone as you seem to indicate. No one knows how you feel.

Mar 2010
Rockville, MD, USA

WONDERFUL; welcome aboard! :) :) :)

Do keep in touch with your community, and I think you'll soon begin feeling more part of it!

And to answer your question, Baha'is must be truthful about their Faith and may not pretend hide their faith when asked. As was already mentioned, in the US this shouldn't be a problem. And indeed, there are intefaith groups around that include both Muslims and Baha'is (as well as others)!

I wish you all the best in your new community, and please feel free to keep in touch with us, too!

Best, :)

Bruce