Social identity and the oneness of mankind

Oct 2014
Stockholm
A lady of many words. She seems to illustrate the identification of many Bahá'ís with the liberal world order of the WWII victors of 1945. I think we have to regard the resurgence of nationalism and search for identity with a lot of humility, otherwise we will find ourselves enmeshed with political ambitions. I see a real danger, when looking at the projects that many Bahá'ís are involved in. Wanting to bang one's head against a wall is a sign of resisting an important insight.

I have noticed a tendency among Bahá'ï scholars with this inclination, to focus on macro issues, leaning heavily on statistics, whereas a bottom-up perspective, analyzing the causes of this alleged setback, might reveal the weaknesses of the established order, and allow for a better understanding of the issues that lead to identity politics and a resurgence of nationalism.

After all, we as Bahá'ís are people of fatih, who - above all - are concerned with the individual's betterment, and not with large-scale, global political projects. Let me choose one controversial issue. I have noticed the Taherih Foundation's concern about the separation of immigrant children from their parents. In no way denying that this is an important issue, I just wish to point out that there is an similar, equally serious issue: that of the separation of children belonging to the core population from one or both of their parents. That is an enormous problem, both in my country and the United States. When dealing with the issue of immigrant children, we "howl with the wolves", belonging to one side in partisan politics. Am I the only one who has noticed a problem here? Personally, I believe that children are saved one by one.

At this point of time, it is extremely important not to associate too closely the teachings of of our Faith with a secular World Order, which has come to replace the old idea of the Devil with right-wing nationalistic movements. Such association inevitably will lead to most undesirable, harmful and extremely dangerous conflicts that could cause unprecedented disunity in our midst.

Best,

from

gnat

Last edited:
May 2018
New Zealand
'After all, we as Bahá'ís are people of fatih, who - above all - are concerned with the individual's betterment, and not with large-scale, global political projects "

I would say sometimes large scale projects are needed .. such as opposing immoral laws or oppressive systems.

But sometimes you cannot change the system/government/law ( not quickly anyway..) so day to day we must be concerned with the betterment of ourselves, and easing the suffering of those around us...

-T

Dec 2018
United States
The resurgence of nationalism in many countries today makes me what to bang my head against a wall
The persistence of classism breaks my heart.. ..
An excellent video! I especially like her critique of "elitist cosmopolitanism" which, unbeknownst to those who adhere to it, provides fertile ground for nationalism and tribalism by inadvertently trying to negate, and not complement, old identities. Thanks for posting!

May 2018
New Zealand
" ....analyzing the causes of this alleged setback, might reveal the weaknesses of the established order, and allow for a better understanding of the issues that lead to identity politics and a resurgence of nationalism."

Yes, this is what I would rather discuss, because I don't understand nationalism.

Thoughts anyone ?

-T

56:45 is worth skipping to if you're not sure you need to watch this whole video and want to save time dissecting the semantics of "cosmopolitan" , especially if you know of the Trailer Park Boys character Bubbles
Samsquanch.jpg

and his use of the slang terms for "bird" frequently being inter-changable with "new direction"

BirdsAndNewdirections.JPG