Solution for being taken advantage of?

Sep 2017
Earth
I have read and been educated by the JY texts and other readings that justice is not for individuals to enforce but institutions. I also read we must love our enemies, return kindness for harshness .. we must forgive. My question is how do you avoid being taken advantage off? Can I ever set a boundary ? Do I have to keep smiling and being in the face of oppression from an individual which means more oppression as they take advantage?

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
I have read and been educated by the JY texts and other readings that justice is not for individuals to enforce but institutions. I also read we must love our enemies, return kindness for harshness .. we must forgive. My question is how do you avoid being taken advantage off? Can I ever set a boundary ? Do I have to keep smiling and being in the face of oppression from an individual which means more oppression as they take advantage?
It is not good to let others take advantage of you but once it has happened we have to deal with it. I am going through that right now. It is really bad but I have vowed to never let it happen again. We can and should set boundaries. The best advice I can give as general advice comes from Abdu'l-Baha:

“O ye beloved of the Lord! The Kingdom of God is founded upon equity and justice, and also upon mercy, compassion, and kindness to every living soul. Strive ye then with all your heart to treat compassionately all humankind—except for those who have some selfish, private motive, or some disease of the soul. Kindness cannot be shown the tyrant, the deceiver, or the thief, because, far from awakening them to the error of their ways, it maketh them to continue in their perversity as before. No matter how much kindliness ye may expend upon the liar, he will but lie the more, for he believeth you to be deceived, while ye understand him but too well, and only remain silent out of your extreme compassion.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 158

Oct 2014
Stockholm
Those books for children and junior youth sometimes over-simplify matters. Of course, justice is for individuals as well. Any parent, who has shared ice cream or candy between children, knows that. :)

Best

from

gnat

Apr 2011
Hyrule
Here's a story:

"‘Abdu’l-Bahá called us before dawn. He had already packed and readied His bags. We packed our belongings in readiness for our departure. Because the chambermaid for His room was not there, He left a dollar for her with the hotel manager. When He reached the railway station, the driver wanted more money than the usual fare. ‘Abdu’l-Bahá paid no heed to him, saying, ‘A man may give $1,000 without minding it but he should not yield even a dollar to the person who wishes to take it wrongfully, for such wrongful behavior flouts justice and disrupts the order of the world.’"