Some questions on baha'i faith and politics.

Jan 2011
Detroit, MI USA
Hi. I just have a few quick questions about baha'i faith and politics.
Can a baha'i volunteer to phone or text bank for a candidate without affiliation with any political party?
Can a baha'i buy a yard sign?
Can a baha'i use bumper stickers?

Thanks.

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Hi. I just have a few quick questions about baha'i faith and politics.
Can a baha'i volunteer to phone or text bank for a candidate without affiliation with any political party?
Can a baha'i buy a yard sign?
Can a baha'i use bumper stickers?

Thanks.
This letter should help.

Regards Tony

Reactions: Luqman
Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
Hi,

A Baha'i can not be involved in partisanship, which I also would take to mean that they cannot support another in their partisan efforts. Now if there were a person running as an independent that seems to open certain possibilities, however, if the "non-partisan" is active in partisanship activities (which is kind of how it works in the US) then non-partisan becomes just another name (a pardoxical name) for a political party. I still would not get involved in that.

I think yard signs is engaging in partisanship, as are bumper stickers.

My personal yardstick is this: Would a Bahai election involve canvassing, advertising, the use of yard signs or bumper stickers? No, and in fact it would be forbidden in Bahai elections. All we can do, is prayerfully and secretly vote for who we feel is best qualified. As a Bahai, this is my standard for non-partisanship in elections outside the faith and what I try to do if and when I vote in non-Bahai elections.

This in one Bahais thoughts.

Cheers

Reactions: tonyfish58
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
All we can do, is prayerfully and secretly vote for who we feel is best qualified. As a Bahai, this is my standard for non-partisanship in elections outside the faith and what I try to do if and when I vote in non-Bahai elections.
That is the way, that I also see we must consider.

I see the way we can change the world is following the guidance by the Universal House of Justice to be fully immersed in building strong and loving communities. That is the only way that we can and will bring about lasting change.

Regards Tony

Reactions: Luqman