Staying yourself among cynicists

Oct 2018
Wachtwoord
How can you be a Bahai among people who are disagree with you? For example they do not believe in world peace and they say you are ignorant. Or they vote and they expect it from you too? How can you stay kind or not convincing?

Apr 2018
Ontario
If you believe fully in Baha’u’llah’s teachings it should not matter what other people think. Everything will happen according to His plan whether you accomplish converting anyone or the Baha’i Faith accomplishes spreading His faith and teachings in the world. It’s Gods Will that His Kingdom should exist in this world and that will happen no matter what. What other people think becomes a problem when you are not sure of your beliefs. It can be frustrating being the outsider. If your not solid in your faith by having read, understood and preferably memorized word for word His teachings, you will find disappointment in trying to spread the Faith.

One thing everyone needs to consider is that we are living in a time where the entire world order is being upturned and the teachings are written for a period of around 1000 without change or addition. Today the obvious truth of the teaching are obscured by the excesses of a dying civilization. Once these excesses have stopped the logic of it will become more evident.

What I can say to all Baha’i’s is don’t be a disgruntled servent of God’s cause. Don’t try to force anyone’s position on a subject. If you can’t be pleasant throughout your discourse when teaching the faith leave it to someone else to do.

Your inquiry was without a lot of specific detail but I think this general answers your question.

Peace

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
For example they do not believe in world peace and they say you are ignorant.
"Trials and tribulations, as Bahá'u'lláh says, are the oil that feed the lamp of the Cause, and are indeed blessings in disguise." (Shoghi Effendi, The Compilation of Compilations vol. I)

So how can people calling me ignorant turn me away if that is just oil to fuel the Cause??

Or they vote and they expect it from you too?
“It is impossible for the realm of creation to be better than it already is.” (Baha'u'llah, quoting Hermes Trismegastus, unpublished Tablet of Bahá'u'lláh)

So why would I be concerned with the expectations of others on how the world should be?? Or my own expectations on that matter??

How can you stay kind or not convincing?
“A kindly tongue is the lodestone (magnet) of the hearts of men." (Baha'u'llah, Gleanings)

So how could I hope to be convincing if not kind??

How can you be a Bahai among people who are disagree with you?
So in short, I am able to because I find:
That adversity only strengthens, that the world is perfect as it is, and that only kindness is effective in convincing, based in part on the quotes above, in part on experience.

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
How can you be a Bahai among people who are disagree with you? For example they do not believe in world peace and they say you are ignorant. Or they vote and they expect it from you too? How can you stay kind or not convincing?
I understand how disheartening it is when everyone disagrees with you. For the last six years since I decided to teach the Faith, I have been continually stomped on by nonbelievers and Christians and Jews, over and over again.
However, the more they disagree and protest, the more I learn because I have to defend the Faith and learn about their religions. Also, the more they attack the Faith the stronger is my belief in Baha'u'llah and my resolve to stand up for Him.

It is an exercise in character building for me to be able to remain calm and be kind when I am constantly insulted and told I am wrong, ignorant, brainwashed, etc. I will be kind but I will not allow people to insult me or Baha'u'llah or the Baha'i Faith. I will rather just explain what I believe and then it is their choice what to do with it. The ball is out of my court. I am not responsible to do anything except proclaim that Baha'u'llah has come and teach if I have a hearing ear.

I never try to convince anyone of anything. Everyone has free will so it is everyone's responsibility to determine what to believe, and everyone is responsible for their own decision.

“Tear asunder, in My Name, the veils that have grievously blinded your vision, and, through the power born of your belief in the unity of God, scatter the idols of vain imitation. Enter, then, the holy paradise of the good-pleasure of the All-Merciful. Sanctify your souls from whatsoever is not of God, and taste ye the sweetness of rest within the pale of His vast and mighty Revelation, and beneath the shadow of His supreme and infallible authority. Suffer not yourselves to be wrapt in the dense veils of your selfish desires, inasmuch as I have perfected in every one of you My creation, so that the excellence of My handiwork may be fully revealed unto men. It follows, therefore, that every man hath been, and will continue to be, able of himself to appreciate the Beauty of God, the Glorified. Had he not been endowed with such a capacity, how could he be called to account for his failure? If, in the Day when all the peoples of the earth will be gathered together, any man should, whilst standing in the presence of God, be asked: “Wherefore hast thou disbelieved in My Beauty and turned away from My Self,” and if such a man should reply and say: “Inasmuch as all men have erred, and none hath been found willing to turn his face to the Truth, I, too, following their example, have grievously failed to recognize the Beauty of the Eternal,” such a plea will, assuredly, be rejected. For the faith of no man can be conditioned by any one except himself.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 143

May 2018
New Zealand
Please vote
I know the strong partisan nature of many countries Political systems make one feel like they have to pick a side ..
But too many people have died for the right to live in a democracy for us to not exercise this right.

Please vote for the person you feel will do the best and most ethical job.

-T

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Please vote
I know the strong partisan nature of many countries Political systems make one feel like they have to pick a side ..
But too many people have died for the right to live in a democracy for us to not exercise this right.

Please vote for the person you feel will do the best and most ethical job.

-T
Eh, I used to think the exact same, but my views have changed, and I've become much more understanding of people who don't vote.

The reason being that when I moved to my new location, I found that my new Congressional District doesn't actually get representation in Congress. The reason being that over 80% of the people in this district vote along party lines for a single party. As a result, the Party installs a candidate in our district that is exceptionally loyal to that Party, to ensure that that extremely partisan Candidate's position is always safe, and the opposing party does not even run candidates for Congress where I live. The Party also throws money around to make sure anyone who challenges their preferred candidate in the primary election looses, and because it is a primary election, the challenging candidate doesn't get any funds apart from what they themselves can come up with to campaign against the financial weight of the Party.

As a result I came to the disheartening realization that my vote in that specific race is always meaningless. We, the people of this district, do not select our representative. The Party selects it for us. And my vote will never change that. It's quite literally a one-party state in this district. :/

I still do vote, out of habit, but I do realize that in this specific situation the vote is quite honestly meaningless. If I like the Candidate, I can vote for her, but she'll still win even if I do absolutely nothing. If I don't like the Candidate, I can vote against her in either the primary or vote Independent in the actual election, but she still will win both of those regardless because no one can put forward a campaign against her that is actually a challenge. Realistically speaking, nothing will change if I do something, nothing will change if I do nothing, so the only thing I get out of voting in the Congressional election is that I can say I voted.

I do get representation when it comes to the Senate or Presidency or Governorship, but when it comes to Congress, we don't really have a vote here, our "representative" is chosen for us due to just how partisan the district I live in is. So while I still vote in that election, I understand how and why many people see their vote as meaningless and wasted, and find myself sympathetic to those who choose not to vote, and understand why they might not.