Taking God's name in vain

Jan 2018
Maine
I had a question about the Baha'i faith. Does someone go to hell for taking God's name in vain? In Christianity a pastor told me that Christian's do not go to hell for taking God's name in vain. The Christian minister told me that is the Jewish and Muslim religions belief. Personally, I think the Jews and Muslims are to hard on people with this doctrine. I don't think that a person deserves to go to hell for using God's name in an inappropriate manner if they repent and are really sorrowful and sorry. What is the Baha'i position on this issue?

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
I know of nothing that speaks in the current Scriptures against it, though I personally chose to modify my language to avoid such terms long ago.

Jun 2009
earth
I wonder, Joey473, if you have looked into the Bahá'í use of the term"hell"? As I understand it, it is seen as being far from God, rather than a physical place. Hell is seen as a sort of state of "mind" almost in that you can be in "hell" while still alive. Of course this state can continue in the next life too.

In that context, you could say as long as someone takes God's name in vain then they probably are quite far from God as if they were close then, they simply would not do that. On the other hand, they may move close to God as they get know Him and as they worship Him, then that same person may move closer to God and out of the "hell" state. Is that forgiveness? God is The Most Forgiving!

That is how I understand your question. I am not saying that is in any way definitive as I recognise that we are all on a path of working to gain understanding!

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
I understand the teaching now. Hell is not a physical place. If we distance ourselves from hatred and evil and worldly passions we will be closer to God.

Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God, in a state and condition which neither the revolution of ages and centuries, nor the changes and chances of this world, can alter. It will endure as long as the Kingdom of God, His sovereignty, His dominion and power will endure. It will manifest the signs of God and His attributes, and will reveal His loving kindness and bounty.

This is a really good religion. If people are evil and hateful and corrupted by worldly desires that is hell and the real torment. They will experience a negative afterlife. People need to distance themselves away from evil and hatred and worldly desires. The soul will continue to progress until it reaches the presence of God. I guess my question is answered. If a person distanced themselves from evil they would attain the presence of God.
You have made a very good conclusion, good on you.

Now the trick is to apply that to our lives and that is our Test in life.

If you read stories about Abdul'baha, He has been gifted by Baha'u'llah as our perfect example. We are asked to be as Abdul'baha was.

Regards Tony

Jan 2018
Maine
I understand the teaching now. Hell is not a physical place. If we distance ourselves from hatred and evil and worldly passions we will be closer to God.

Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God, in a state and condition which neither the revolution of ages and centuries, nor the changes and chances of this world, can alter. It will endure as long as the Kingdom of God, His sovereignty, His dominion and power will endure. It will manifest the signs of God and His attributes, and will reveal His loving kindness and bounty.

This is a really good religion. If people are evil and hateful and corrupted by worldly desires that is hell and the real torment. They will experience a negative afterlife. People need to distance themselves away from evil and hatred and worldly desires. The soul will continue to progress until it reaches the presence of God. I guess my question is answered. If a person distanced themselves from evil they would attain the presence of God.