Talk on Immortality of the Spirit

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
Hello everyone

As I was now reading "Maedeye Asemani" (I do not know its English Equivalent) by Bahaullah, in a part of it in which He talks about the immortality of the soul, I read something totally new to me. I would like to know your ideas about it.

in a part ABdul Baha says: (my own trans. because I could not find the text in English)

"The spiritual reality within us is like unto the light and our body is the lantern. If the lantern breaks, the light won't change; it will remain immortal. Human being goes from stage to stage until he reaches a stage which is above the state of this physical world, so as to reach perfection. during the process, he leaves all the lanterns and runs to the world of light. For a while this light was in plants' lantern, then it went to the animals' lantern and now it is in human's lantern. Thus, if this lantern breaks, the light won't change. These are rational reasons which cannot be rejected."
(Abdul Baha talk on 2nd January in Scotland among Theosophists)

my question is, I had never heard that our spirit used to be in the plants realm, then went to the animal realm and then to the human realm. does He say that animals and plants have soul? a soul like that of humans????

Oct 2014
Stockholm
Hello everyone

As I was now reading "Maedeye Asemani" (I do not know its English Equivalent) by Bahaullah, in a part of it in which He talks about the immortality of the soul, I read something totally new to me. I would like to know your ideas about it.

in a part ABdul Baha says: (my own trans. because I could not find the text in English)

"The spiritual reality within us is like unto the light and our body is the lantern. If the lantern breaks, the light won't change; it will remain immortal. Human being goes from stage to stage until he reaches a stage which is above the state of this physical world, so as to reach perfection. during the process, he leaves all the lanterns and runs to the world of light. For a while this light was in plants' lantern, then it went to the animals' lantern and now it is in human's lantern. Thus, if this lantern breaks, the light won't change. These are rational reasons which cannot be rejected."
(Abdul Baha talk on 2nd January in Scotland among Theosophists)

my question is, I had never heard that our spirit used to be in the plants realm, then went to the animal realm and then to the human realm. does He say that animals and plants have soul? a soul like that of humans????
I think He relates the Bahá'í view of evolution.

gnat

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
look, what you say means that plants and animals have spirit. yes? do they have spirit? and is their spirit the same as ours??

Oct 2014
Stockholm
look, what you say means that plants and animals have spirit. yes? do they have spirit? and is their spirit the same as ours??
No, I mean that the entity that now is called "human spirit" had to be housed somewhere, when there was no life on earth. Then it was housed in minerals. Then there were algae and plants. The entity lived in them. Then there were animals. So, the sprit lived in animals. Now, there are humans, so... That spirit lives in the highest possible life form, if I understand correctly.

I don't wish to speculate too much, but I have a hunch that, actually, all human souls are one. Thence, the need for unity-

gnat

Jcc

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Abdul-Baha says many thing concerning the different levels of spirit in Some Answered Questions and other places. He distinguishes human spirit as being of a different type and degree compared to animal, vegetable or mineral spirit. So no, the other types of spirit are not the same as ours in that they are not immortal, the animal and vegetable spirit ends when those creatures die, but human spirit continues after death. The condition of the human spirit depends on how much it is developed during this life and also on the Mercy of God. For those who are evil or neglectful, their spirit is very weak, and when compared to those who have been favored by God with faith and grow spiritually, it is as if they are dead or non-existent.

The talk you quote which appears to say that human spirit moved from plant to animal to human is a bit puzzling, so I would be careful to check if possible that the source is verified as an accurate transcript of Abdul-Baha's talk in Persian. There are some cases where the talks were not written down exactly. Especially since the talk was to a gathering of Theosophists, He might have been speaking in terms the Theosophists would understand but was not fully grasped by the person writing it down, or some contextual information was left out. If it is accurate, it is quite interesting and I would like to know more about it.

Oct 2014
Stockholm
The talk you quote which appears to say that human spirit moved from plant to animal to human is a bit puzzling...
My interpretation is that this entity didn't move. It just creates increasibly dignified frames around itself. The latest such frame is the human frame.

Unbelievable, isn't it, when you look at certain specimens! :)

Best

from

gnat

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
No, I mean that the entity that now is called "human spirit" had to be housed somewhere, when there was no life on earth. Then it was housed in minerals. Then there were algae and plants. The entity lived in them. Then there were animals. So, the sprit lived in animals. Now, there are humans, so... That spirit lives in the highest possible life form, if I understand correctly.

I don't wish to speculate too much, but I have a hunch that, actually, all human souls are one. Thence, the need for unity-

gnat

That is now a GREAT answer Gnat :yes:

I can accept it; it is logical. so we can say that Abdul Baha had been talking about the begining of the creation. Nice! :)
thank you so much for the satisfying answer.

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
Abdul-Baha says many thing concerning the different levels of spirit in Some Answered Questions and other places. He distinguishes human spirit as being of a different type and degree compared to animal, vegetable or mineral spirit. So no, the other types of spirit are not the same as ours in that they are not immortal, the animal and vegetable spirit ends when those creatures die, but human spirit continues after death. The condition of the human spirit depends on how much it is developed during this life and also on the Mercy of God. For those who are evil or neglectful, their spirit is very weak, and when compared to those who have been favored by God with faith and grow spiritually, it is as if they are dead or non-existent.

The talk you quote which appears to say that human spirit moved from plant to animal to human is a bit puzzling, so I would be careful to check if possible that the source is verified as an accurate transcript of Abdul-Baha's talk in Persian. There are some cases where the talks were not written down exactly. Especially since the talk was to a gathering of Theosophists, He might have been speaking in terms the Theosophists would understand but was not fully grasped by the person writing it down, or some contextual information was left out. If it is accurate, it is quite interesting and I would like to know more about it.
The source is verified as reliable, JCC. it is in fact one of the most reliable sources of Abdul Baha talk, this Maedeye Asemani book. But the answer Gnat provided us with, is quite interesting. so the human soul has always been here but for a while, at the begining of the creation of earth, where there has not been a human BODY, it had to be preserved in plants and animals. and then when human being came into existence (the body I mean) the soul found its abide.