Teaching

Dec 2014
United States
The same essential command has been given by Moses, Krsna, Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad, the Bab, and Baha'u'llah.

That we are indeed commanded to share this thing we have been given, which we refer to as religion, with each other, and we are tested by it.

"Do they think when they say: "We believe!" that they shall be let alone and not put to test?" . . from the Quran
There is a story associated with the quote from St. Francis. One of his followers asked if he could accompany Francis when he went out to preach. Francis agreed and told him that first he needed to visit a person who was gravely ill. Next he went to bring some food to a widow and her children. They then went to the prison to visit with some of the inmates. Francis' companion asked him "When are you going to start preaching?" Francis replied, "what do you think I have been doing?"

Peace.

Steve

May 2013
forest falls california
Very good... Most excellent!!

There is a story associated with the quote from St. Francis. One of his followers asked if he could accompany Francis when he went out to preach. Francis agreed and told him that first he needed to visit a person who was gravely ill. Next he went to bring some food to a widow and her children. They then went to the prison to visit with some of the inmates. Francis' companion asked him "When are you going to start preaching?" Francis replied, "what do you think I have been doing?"

Peace.

Steve

Steve,
. This is very good and most excellent. It speaks volumes without words.

. A fairly parallel story is told of a man who tauntingly said to Abdul Baha: "I am Moses." So Abdul Baha invited him to join him the following day, beginning with prayer in the early dawn. Abdul Baha then went about His day, feeding the poor, tending to the sick, aiding the homeless, etc, etc...

. At the end of the day, the man, so initially proud, said: "I am no longer Moses" ;-)

. None of us can keep up with these blessed souls, although we can certainly look up with hearty admiration of such as Mother Theresa, Ghandi, and others.

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland

Peace.

Steve
Steve - Nice story - Just like this one -

Baha'i Stories for Children: The Proud Helper

God Bless and Regards Tony

Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
One day, during the fast, at dinner, Hand of the Cause of God, Abu’l-Qásim Faízí related the following for those present:

The Ancient Beauty was very fond of the following four qualities:

1. A person with a happy disposition.

2. A person who finishes a task that he starts.

3. Those who are brave and audacious.

4. Those who suffice with praising others rather than finding fault.

Bahá’u’lláh felt sad about the following five unseemly characteristics afflicting mankind:

1. Those who see themselves as knowledgeable and feel proud of it.

2. Those who render a valuable service or initiate a useful innovation, but show pride about their accomplishment.

3. Those who feel proud about their lineage.

4. Those who are proud of their physical beauty and attraction.

5. Those who regard themselves as wealthy and are proud of it.

Then Mr. Faízí added at the end of his discourse the following words of the Ancient Beauty:

“It is impossible to expect insight from those who are proud.”

(Unauthorized translation) - Mr. Faízí

From Sweet and Enchanting Stories, compiled by Aziz Rohani, p. 33

Josh, you have a treasure trove of the most interesting sayings and doings in Baha'i history. Thank you for always sharing!

Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
"Teaching the Cause of God is not only through the tongue; it is through deeds, a good disposition, happiness of nature, kindness and sympathy, good fellowship, trustworthiness, holiness, virtue, purity of ideals, and lastly, speech."

(Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 590)('Abdu'l-Bahá: Bahá'í News. No. 243 May 1951, p. 8)

Be generous in prosperity and thankful in adversity. Be worthy of the trust of thy neighbor, and look upon him with a bright and friendly face. Be a treasure to the poor, an admonisher to the rich, an answerer of the cry of the needy, a preserver of the sanctity of thy pledge. Be fair in thy judgement, and guarded in thy speech. Be unjust to no man, and show meekness to all men. Be as a lamp unto them that walk in darkness, a joy to the sorrowful, a sea for the thirsty, a haven for the distressed, an upholder and defender of the victim of oppression. Let integrity and uprightness distinguish all thine acts. Be a home for the stranger, a balm to the suffering, a tower of strength for the fugitive. Be eyes to the blind, and a guiding light unto the feet of the erring. Be an ornament to the countenance of truth, a crown to the brow of fidelity, a pillar to the temple of righteousness, a breath of light to the body of mankind, an ensign of the hosts of justice, a luminary above the horizon of virtue, a dew to the soil of the human heart, an ark on the ocean of knowledge, a sun in the heaven of bounty, a gem on the diadem of wisdom, a shining light in the firmament of thy generation, a fruit upon the tree of humility.

Baha'u'llah Gleanings

He certainly spells it all out for us. And if we didn't take it step by step, day by day, we might be paralyzed by the enormity of the task before us. We can be these attributes, maybe not all at once, I don't believe I can be perfect, but if we seek those opportunities that arise to allow us to be of service, what better way to teach our faith.

Allah'u'Abha

Last edited:
Nov 2012
Florida
...if we didn't take it step by step, day by day, we might be paralyzed by the enormity of the task before us
Bingo! How true. The same complaint was made by a Baha'i to Abdu'l-Baha...how can I possibly do all this? You remember his answer..."little by little, day by day."

Kind of like the answer to, "How do you eat an elephant?"

"One bite at a time." :cool: