Temples

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
One of my friends is having a trip to India. Yesterday, she visited the Lotus temple there (she is not a Bahai). she said that the building was very beautiful BUT the people who worked there had such a bad, irritating behavior! She said she has visited many temples in India within the two weeks. she has not seen a temple more beautiful than the Lotus temple and yet not any temple workers worse than this Bahai temple!!!

This made me sad. It can have a very bad effect on the people who visit the temple. if their behavior was good and attractive, my friend could even think about being a Bahai, even if unconsciously. But what she saw was not so good!

Now I want to know if there are any laws regarding the temple keepers? and how one can help the condition get better?

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
What can I say but to say how can we know?

What can I say but to say it was not what you experienced, but what you heard from another. Thus It is a test for both.

We are but Humans and we all have bad days.

Regards Tony

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
It's hard to know if the experiences of one person are representative of everyone's experiences at the location.

I can't say for certain, but it doesn't appear that this is a common experience people have at the Lotus Temple, as from what I can tell it is the most popular Baha'i Temple in the world getting on average 10,000 visitors on a daily basis.

It's unfortunate, but with that amount of tourist traffic daily there's probably no realistic way to ensure that everyone who visits has a positive experience.

When I went to the North American House of Worship for about an hour-long visit, there were about three visitors there, myself included, which surely enabled the staff to ensure that all three of us had a good time visiting.

Logistically, managing ten-thousand visitors surely is a much harder affair. :p

But if the Lotus Temple is popular enough that it attracts thousands of people every day, I can only imagine that most people have good experiences there. Otherwise why would so many people come??

Dec 2015
N Ireland
One of my friends is having a trip to India. Yesterday, she visited the Lotus temple there (she is not a Bahai). she said that the building was very beautiful BUT the people who worked there had such a bad, irritating behavior! She said she has visited many temples in India within the two weeks. she has not seen a temple more beautiful than the Lotus temple and yet not any temple workers worse than this Bahai temple!!!

This made me sad. It can have a very bad effect on the people who visit the temple. if their behavior was good and attractive, my friend could even think about being a Bahai, even if unconsciously. But what she saw was not so good!

Now I want to know if there are any laws regarding the temple keepers? and how one can help the condition get better?
What did she say was bad behaviour ?

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
dear Walrus and Tony,

I agree that all people have good and bad days. when I talked about this subject with one of my very good friends he said, "this is a good thing. it shows that to be a Bahai, we are not to be extraordinary people. we can have good and bad days like all other people on earth and still be Baha'is.". so I agree with both of you and my friend.

I should like to visit that place for myself to see how things are. maybe it was a busy day when my friend visited the temple (she said there was a special event there and so they did not let her take pictures from inside the temple). and in a busy day, the staff could be tired or stressed. that seems to be a reason.

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
To my knowledge it is generally not allowed to take pictures inside the temples. That is to encourage people to treat it as a holy place, not just a tourist destination. Also, we don't want to disturb anyone who may be praying and meditating inside. The pictures we have are taken by authorized photographers at a time set out for that purpose.

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
dear Walrus and Tony,

I agree that all people have good and bad days. when I talked about this subject with one of my very good friends he said, "this is a good thing. it shows that to be a Bahai, we are not to be extraordinary people. we can have good and bad days like all other people on earth and still be Baha'is.". so I agree with both of you and my friend.

I should like to visit that place for myself to see how things are. maybe it was a busy day when my friend visited the temple (she said there was a special event there and so they did not let her take pictures from inside the temple). and in a busy day, the staff could be tired or stressed. that seems to be a reason.
Photos are not allowed inside a Prayer hall. I would assume there would be signs or information boards. This from the Temple web page:

"General Information

1) Duration of visit is ~ 30-40 min.
2)Cameras, video cameras or mobile phones must not be used inside the Prayer Hall and the Information Centre.

Regards Tony