The Bab’s Will and Testament

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
Someone who is a Bayani claims the following. This was posted on a thread entitled Bahá'ís: why do you believe "Bahá'u'lláh" was the one promised in the Bayán?

This is fair game to post this here because it was posted on a public forum. The post says:

The Bab appointed the Bayani leader Subh-i Azal as his successor in his will. You can read the will here:

The Primal Point’s Will and Testament

These are the opening statements:

Name of Azal, testify that there is no God but I, the dearest beloved.

Then testify that there is no God but you, the victorious and permanent.

It is clear from these words that the Bab considers Himself as God and then appoints Azal as the new God. Baha'u'llah had major problems with Azal and would refer to him using not very nice terms. I find it very unlikely that the person that categorically rejects the Bab's successor that the Bab has labelled as the Victorious and Permanent God in his will, could be the Promised one in the Bayan.

#32 spirit_of_dawn, Today at 1:35 PM

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
Someone who is a Bayani claims the following. This was posted on a thread entitled Bahá'ís: why do you believe "Bahá'u'lláh" was the one promised in the Bayán?

This is fair game to post this here because it was posted on a public forum. The post says:

The Bab appointed the Bayani leader Subh-i Azal as his successor in his will. You can read the will here:

The Primal Point’s Will and Testament

These are the opening statements:

Name of Azal, testify that there is no God but I, the dearest beloved.

Then testify that there is no God but you, the victorious and permanent.

It is clear from these words that the Bab considers Himself as God and then appoints Azal as the new God. Baha'u'llah had major problems with Azal and would refer to him using not very nice terms. I find it very unlikely that the person that categorically rejects the Bab's successor that the Bab has labelled as the Victorious and Permanent God in his will, could be the Promised one in the Bayan.

#32 spirit_of_dawn, Today at 1:35 PM
Looking at the file on the will and testament I found this:

Verse 2

Versions 1, 2 and 4 read the same:

‘Then testify that there is no God but you, the victorious and permanent’

Version 3 differs:

‘Then testify that verily there is no God but me, the victorious and permanent’

I think what happened was that Azal interpolated the 2nd verse.

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
Looking at the file on the will and testament I found this:

Verse 2

Versions 1, 2 and 4 read the same:

‘Then testify that there is no God but you, the victorious and permanent’

Version 3 differs:

‘Then testify that verily there is no God but me, the victorious and permanent’

I think what happened was that Azal interpolated the 2nd verse.
Thanks for that observation Duane. I did not have time to look that closely at it.

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
For a greater understanding of what the Bab's intentions were when nominating Subh-i Azal (Mirza Yahya) , you can look at several sources, such as The Covenant of Baha'u'llah, by Adib Taherzadeh:

The appointment by the Báb of Mirza Yahya as the leader of the Bábí community took place on the advice of Bahá'u'lláh. 'Abdu'l-Bahá states that some time after the death of Muhammad Shah it became evident that Bahá'u'lláh's fame had spread far and wide in Persia and it was essential to divert public attention away from His Person. To achieve this aim Bahá'u'lláh advised the Báb to nominate Mirza Yahya. This advice was communicated through the medium of a trusted believer, Mulla Abdu'l-Karim of Qazvin, otherwise known as Mirza Ahmad, who was able to make contact with the Báb. The appointment of Mirza Yahya, who was then in his late teens, had the obvious advantage of enabling Bahá'u'lláh to direct the affairs of the community behind the scenes through the instrumentality of Mirza Yahya, who, in reality, was merely the ostensible head until the advent of 'Him Whom God shall make manifest'.

The Bábí community was not informed of the reasons behind this appointment. It must have come as a surprise to many when they realized that the appointee of the Báb was a youth in his teens, and those who knew his personality were aware of his shallowness and vanity. Apart from Mulla Abdu'l-Karim, the only other person who was privy to this secret arrangement was Bahá'u'lláh's faithful brother, Mirza Musa, entitled Aqay-i-Kalim. It must be stated here that the Báb in all His Writings urged the believers to be ready for the manifestation of 'Him Whom God shall make manifest' and no one else. So emphatic was His advent and so close was the timing of His Revelation that the Báb never contemplated the appointment of a successor to Himself. Indeed, He confirms this in the Bayan, saying that in His Dispensation there was to be no mention of successorship. Yet Mirza Yahya, as we shall see later, broke the Covenant of the Báb and claimed to be His successor.

(Adib Taherzadeh, The Covenant of Baha'u'llah, p. 60)

Note that in the Bab's Will and Testament document linked above, Verse 27 it clearly says "We order you to obey Him Whom God Shall Make Manifest. " By stating this, the Bab makes it clear that Azal himself is not Him Whom God Shall Make Manifest. Yet that is what he later claimed, in violation of the Bab's Covenant.

Sep 2018
usa
not to demean the Bayani or Babi faith, but its kinda funny that the Bab knew his faith is short lived, and a new faith is coming. So, by the advice of Bahaullah, he appointed Mirza Yahya of all people.

Apr 2018
Ontario
not to demean the Bayani or Babi faith, but its kinda funny that the Bab knew his faith is short lived, and a new faith is coming. So, by the advice of Bahaullah, he appointed Mirza Yahya of all people.
I don’t think it’s fair to say the Bayani or Babi faiths were short lived. They still have followers and I believe there is a hidden secret in the way these two faiths unfolded and the divisions that ensued. Baha’u’llah only forbid Baha’i’s from associating with the ones that were not attracted to Baha’u’llah. You are either a point or letter of affirmation or a point or letter of negation. After Baha’u’llah’s revelation all points of affirmation were attracted to him. The points of negation sought their own fortunes or joined Mírzá Yahya.