The Coming Crisis

Dec 2013
Little Rock, Ar
I've often wondered about the crisis spoken about in Bahá'í prophecy that would cause the peoples of the Earth to unite, as that would be the only way they could overcome it. For a while, I though the Islamic State (ISIS/ISIL) might be the crisis, as its power and thirst for blood only seemed to grow stronger as time went by. But a quote from Pope Francis in this article has made me wonder: what if the current climate crisis is the one spoken of in prophecy? Certainly, the only way we can overcome this is by working together as a species. Only a strong international government could create the laws necessary to save a planet. Only a united global effort has even the slightest chance of slowing and, eventually, reversing the damage that we have done to our dear Terra.

What are your thoughts on this? Could the crisis that leads to a united humanity be the climate crisis? If so, we will have to see a united species within the next few decades, because there is a point of no return. Beyond that point, there is no saving the planet.

Apr 2011
Hyrule
What are your thoughts on this?
Well, some people (climate change deniers) think us puny humans don't have the capability to do global damage to the planet's climate. Your article points out "only 52 percent of the general population and the same percentage of U.S. Catholics think climate change is caused by humans." It's hard to unite when people don't agree on the cause of climate change. Let's ignore them for now.

Is it just one crisis?

What about the wars we experienced in the 20th century? Over 200 million perished. Then again, deaths in proportion to the world population were greater centuries ago, and the world wasn't united.

Do you consider climate change more dangerous than world wars? Perhaps . . .

Last edited:
Oct 2014
Stockholm
Well, once the real crisis comes, we will know right away, because we will no longer be among the living. That is, nothing to worry about. :)

gnat

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
When one reads the writings, we are indeed influencing nature and upsetting the Balance. You will note in the writings that disasters and sicknesses are a result if our turning away from the Word if God, the Balance!

Makes me think of a recent incident upon a mountain and a natural event that the locals say resulted from it, it is indeed plausible this is the case.

I think we have a while to go yet, further so sink. This is unfortunate but it appears necessary, the world is still not contemplating that rejecting God and His Message has consequences, large consequenses.

Now as Baha'is if we think we are not playing a part in the destruction, then I would suggest we think again. We have been given the bounty of being the bearers of the light, if we live as Abdul'baha did.

Until we do, then we also still have a lot to answer for. So let's get to doing it right, little by little day by day and as the world falls apart, know that it is so the Most Great Peace will.come!

God bless and regards Tony

Dec 2009
United States
Hi, EternalStudent9.

Bahá'u'lláh says there will be a calamity. But we can't know in detail what or when it will be.

428. Bahá'ís Should Not Waste Time Speculating on the Coming Calamity

"The House of Justice points out that Bahá'u'lláh in no uncertain terms has said: 'O ye peoples of the world! Know, verily, that an unforeseen calamity followeth you, and grievous retribution awaiteth you. Think not that which ye have committed hath been effaced in My sight.' Therefore it considers that it would be fruitless to attempt to foresee the time or the nature of a calamity which Bahá'u'lláh Himself said was 'unforeseen'. No doubt the remarkable progress being made in scientific endeavour holds true in the study by experts of geological upheavals. But we cannot be certain that predictions of earthquakes, volcanic eruptions or tidal waves caused by such phenomena can be identified as the cataclysmic events to which Bahá'u'lláh refers.

"In letters to other believers who have asked questions similar to yours, the House of Justice has emphasized that the friends should not waste their time and energies in fruitless speculations on this question. Rather, they should concentrate every ounce of energy on the winning of the goals of the Five Year Plan, which they have clearly before them, confident in the knowledge that whatever may happen in the world, however calamitous it may outwardly appear, will promote God's unalterable purpose for the unification of mankind."

(From a letter written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice to an individual believer, June 20, 1976)
- Lights of Guidance

Oct 2014
Stockholm
Well, if the children of Israel had to wander for forty years, until new generations of free-born had been born, imagine what we will have to go through in order to enter the New World. Or, rather, don't even try to imagine! :)

gnat

May 2013
forest falls california
What is the foundation of our reality?

Well, if the children of Israel had to wander for forty years, until new generations of free-born had been born, imagine what we will have to go through in order to enter the New World. Or, rather, don't even try to imagine! :)

gnat
. We tend to have this view of reality which is a hold-over from our material origins where everything looks solid. Not just as an analogy that a glacier appears solid, until it melts and moves, or another analogy of the ground surface appears solid, until the tectonic plates shift, the Himalayas uplifted, etc.
. And of course these physical features require intelligent adaptations, such as building codes to fit the region, as in Katmandu, or sufficient smarts to not build nuclear reactors on fault lines where tsunamis are well known to hit every so often. That becomes, hopefully, a matter of common sense over time. We are not even there yet, obviously.

. Our ultimate relaity is more than physical, however, and until the very foundation of our spiritual reality is understood well enough to collectively conform to the purpose of God, as expressed in our current age through the Manifestation of God, Baha'u'llah, all the physical adaptations, in and of themselves, will not shore up the walls of a tottering civilization, bent upon collapse and self-destruction, whether by design or default.

. The visible signs of the collective trauma will long plague us in various forms: 16 million refugees in the past year alone, fleeing from wars ranging from Nigeria, Mali, Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, to name a few.

. Meanwhile, as the poles continue to melt, environmental refugees will escalate into the tens or hundreds of millions before the current century is closed and the population more than doubles, with food shortages, oceans depleted, ecosystems destroyed, and geo-political collisions ensue.

. Yeah, the parties just beginning...

Last edited:
Apr 2014
Pennsylvania, USA
Hello,

I think that it is possible that at a core level within ourselves, by who we think we really are, we are the very cause of the calamities around us as individuals, communities, and societies. We are furthermore connected to the Earth as well, which means that possibly our every thought, word, deed, and intention which starts from the single person and stretches outward to our global governments has an effect on our dear planet.

I probably have to start asking myself, what is it that I am doing that's causing all of this pain and suffering. Lately I was thinking that maybe I am the one causing all of this. Maybe it's because I am not following the Path that God our Beloved set down for us to make a better world which will only benefit me and those around me. Maybe if I got rid of the greed, envy, indifference, and violence from my heart than possibly things on the news would look different. Of course this also takes a global effort. If the world just embraced the Essence of Truth which is Love, than we'd have heaven on earth. That's why now I understand that we need to be united in One Faith for that to ever happen, that I am certain, but as long as there are at least "5 righteous people within the city" we still have hope.

God's Will be done.

Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
hello,

i think that it is possible that at a core level within ourselves, by who we think we really are, we are the very cause of the calamities around us as individuals, communities, and societies. We are furthermore connected to the earth as well, which means that possibly our every thought, word, deed, and intention which starts from the single person and stretches outward to our global governments has an effect on our dear planet.

I probably have to start asking myself, what is it that i am doing that's causing all of this pain and suffering. Lately i was thinking that maybe i am the one causing all of this. Maybe it's because i am not following the path that god our beloved set down for us to make a better world which will only benefit me and those around me. Maybe if i got rid of the greed, envy, indifference, and violence from my heart than possibly things on the news would look different. Of course this also takes a global effort. If the world just embraced the essence of truth which is love, than we'd have heaven on earth. That's why now i understand that we need to be united in one faith for that to ever happen, that i am certain, but as long as there are at least "5 righteous people within the city" we still have hope.

God's will be done.
amen!!