The coming of age of man almost here...

Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
I was wondering how many of you are aware of the astonishing claim in the Kitab-i-Aqdas concerning the two signs of the coming of age of man. To uncover it, you have to jump between verse 189 of the Kitab-i-aqdas and the corresponding note (#194) which I have have quoted below. Basically the two signs are this:

1. The selection of an international auxiliary language and script

2. A new "radical" approach to transmutation of the elements

Some have thought that this is nuclear power. I thought that long ago, but now realize this is unlikely. Nuclear power is based on fission, which is a decay of elements and very dirty with millennia of radio active waste as a byproduct. What is more likely, in my opinion, is that it refers to the mastery of fusion, a process that creates a heavier element (helium) from a lighter one (hydrogen). This is the process of the sun. We often hear about the international cooperation (or lack of) around climate change initiatives. Cooperation on the global stage is always exciting, but I really think the international cooperation that is taking place to develop fusion is where it is at. This will solve the world's energy problem and make the whole climate change debate, fossil fuels, carbon sequestration, etc, moot. It also seems to me, what Baha'u'llah has foretold. It is amazing to me how little attention these massive international fusion projects and intitiatives gets considering that they are progressing rapidly and having increasing success. Here is a recent video talking about the progress overall and including the very exciting ITER project in the EU.

Here are the qutoes:

"O members of parliaments throughout the world! Select ye a single language for the use of all on earth, and adopt ye likewise a common script. God, verily, maketh plain for you that which shall profit you and enable you to be independent of others. He, of a truth, is the Most Bountiful, the All-Knowing, the All-Informed. This will be the cause of unity, could ye but comprehend it, and the greatest instrument for promoting harmony and civilization, would that ye might understand! We have appointed two signs for the coming of age of the human race: the first, which is the most firm foundation, We have set down in other of Our Tablets, while the second hath been revealed in this wondrous Book." Kitab-i-Aqdas, v. 189

194. WE HAVE APPOINTED TWO SIGNS FOR THE COMING OF AGE OF THE HUMAN RACE # 189

"The first sign of the coming of age of humanity referred to in the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh is the emergence of a science which is described as that “divine philosophy” which will include the discovery of a radical approach to the transmutation of elements. This is an indication of the splendours of the future stupendous expansion of knowledge.

Concerning the “second” sign which Bahá’u’lláh indicates to have been revealed in the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, Shoghi Effendi states that Bahá’u’lláh, “…in His Most Holy Book, has enjoined the selection of a single language and the adoption of a common script for all on earth to use, an injunction which, when carried out, would, as He Himself affirms in that Book, be one of the signs of the ‘coming of age of the human race’”. Note#194 ,Notes section of The Kitab-i-Aqdas, pp 251

It seems like we are well underway on BOTH of these fronts, in my opinion. I believe I may live to see it!

Cheers

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
"The first sign of the coming of age of humanity referred to in the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh is the emergence of a science which is described as that “divine philosophy” which will include the discovery of a radical approach to the transmutation of elements. This is an indication of the splendours of the future stupendous expansion of knowledge.
I'm not so sure this would refer to nuclear power...

The terms "divine philosophy" and "transmutation of elements" make me think this refers to alchemy, and Baha'u'llah not infrequently writes in the language of alchemical symbolism, and explains the symbolism at points.

Sometimes alchemy does not refer to a physical transmutation, but a spiritual one. Especially when the alchemists taught of turning copper into gold, they were describing a spiritual process of transmuting their base selves (copper) into a state of nearness to God (gold).

So for that particular sign, it might not be that literal, and instead might point to discoveries of a spiritual nature.

Jul 2018
I'm not so sure this would refer to nuclear power...

The terms "divine philosophy" and "transmutation of elements" make me think this refers to alchemy, and Baha'u'llah not infrequently writes in the language of alchemical symbolism, and explains the symbolism at points.

Sometimes alchemy does not refer to a physical transmutation, but a spiritual one. Especially when the alchemists taught of turning copper into gold, they were describing a spiritual process of transmuting their base selves (copper) into a state of nearness to God (gold).

So for that particular sign, it might not be that literal, and instead might point to discoveries of a spiritual nature.
I have not suggested it does refer to nuclear power but rather to fusion, something different that is still being developed and that is much more difficult and much more marvelous and greater than nuclear. Please read more carefully. Interestingly, one of the byproducts of fusion is new elements (transmutation). In fact, all of the heavy elements are created in the fusion processes of stars. I am pretty sure that this is what Baha'u'llah is talking about, but with the language available in his time. There was only alchemy (even chemistry was not yet a thing) and there was no conception of, or word for, fusion. If you want to understand the quote in an alchemist sort of way, ask yourself: What has international language and alchemy have to do with each other and with the maturity of the human race? On the other hand, if you consider it as a description of an energy technology, that and an international language couple nicely together for pillars of a civilization of a matured humanity.

You are correct about alchemy referring to the transformation of the soul in the writings. However, in this case, and if you read the note carefully, you will see that it is not the case here. It is quite specific: ..."the discovery of a radical approach to the transmutation of elements. This is an indication of the splendours of the future stupendous expansion of knowledge." Reference above

Cheers

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
I have not suggested it does refer to nuclear power but rather to fusion, something different that is still being developed and that is much more difficult and much more marvelous and greater than nuclear. Please read more carefully. Interestingly, one of the byproducts of fusion is new elements (transmutation). In fact, all of the heavy elements are created in the fusion processes of stars. I am pretty sure that this is what Baha'u'llah is talking about, but with the language available in his time. There was only alchemy (even chemistry was not yet a thing) and there was no conception of, or word for, fusion. If you want to understand the quote in an alchemist sort of way, ask yourself: What has international language and alchemy have to do with each other and with the maturity of the human race? On the other hand, if you consider it as a description of an energy technology, that and an international language couple nicely together for pillars of a civilization of a matured humanity.
Well I'd say that the relationship between a universal language - which breaks down the physical barriers to unity - and alchemical self transformation - which breaks down the personal, mental barriers to unity - are more related to one another than an energy technology and a language, which are not as intrinsically linked. I'd also say that the spiritual state of man speaks more for maturity than the technological advancements of man, but that's just in my own opinion and estimation.

You are correct about alchemy referring to the transformation of the soul in the writings.
Not just the writings, but all alchemical philosophical writings back to Zosimos if not back to Hermes. It's a longstanding symbolic language.

I would find it odd, though, to find a verse that, unlike all other verses, speaks about this matter in non-symbolic terms, when all other verses read in the symbolic tradition.

However, in this case, and if you read the note carefully, you will see that it is not the case here. It is quite specific: ..."the discovery of a radical approach to the transmutation of elements. This is an indication of the splendours of the future stupendous expansion of knowledge." Reference above
I'd agree the verse is specific and needs to be looked at carefully, which is where I draw my conclusions from. But the part that caught my attention was the part a little before the quote you placed here.

"the emergence of a science which is described as that 'divine philosophy' which will include the discovery ... "

I might be wrong, or I might be missing something, but I don't see how an energy technology could be described as a "divine philosophy". The description of this science as a philosophy would fit a spiritual science better, I would think, since I personally don't see anything inherent about energy technology that would include it into a specific, philosophical worldview.

Jul 2018
I might be wrong, or I might be missing something, but I don't see how an energy technology could be described as a "divine philosophy". The description of this science as a philosophy would fit a spiritual science better, I would think, since I personally don't see anything inherent about energy technology that would include it into a specific, philosophical worldview.

In the writings (see Gleanings) there is a passage where Hakim asks Baha'u'llah whether or not the transmutation of elements is possible. Baha'u'llah states, in the passage, that it is indeed possible and that God willing the knowledge of it would be revealed in time, and that the power of the manifestation, however, is the transmutation of the spiritual nature of man. So in the passage we have two facts: the literal and material possibility as well as the spiritual, so it is not necessary to view either as mutually exclusive. When taking all the passages together, I think both are indicated. The "divine philosophy" bit is only confusing because of the language restrictions imposed on him at the time. He was limited in expression due to the fact that there was no word for fusion, fission, no knowledge of the quantum mechanics necessary to understand or talk about such things. Also, there was no separation of philosophy from science as it is today. It is wrong, however, to assume it was always so, and if you stay current, there are even trends that seem to reverse this separation as some branches of physics sound increasingly philosophical and metaphysical again. Our writings are amazing. One of the things we learn from them, is that the physical and spiritual world are one world, not separate. Then it should not surprise us if a passage could speak about an energy technology in the same passage as spiritual transformation.

Cheers

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
In the writings (see Gleanings) there is a passage where Hakim asks Baha'u'llah whether or not the transmutation of elements is possible. Baha'u'llah states, in the passage, that it is indeed possible and that God willing the knowledge of it would be revealed in time, and that the power of the manifestation, however, is the transmutation of the spiritual nature of man.
This one??

"The vitality of men’s belief in God is dying out in every land; nothing short of His wholesome medicine can ever restore it. The corrosion of ungodliness is eating into the vitals of human society; what else but the Elixir of His potent Revelation can cleanse and revive it? Is it within human power, O Hakím, to effect in the constituent elements of any of the minute and indivisible particles of matter so complete a transformation as to transmute it into purest gold? Perplexing and difficult as this may appear, the still greater task of converting satanic strength into heavenly power is one that We have been empowered to accomplish. The Force capable of such a transformation transcendeth the potency of the Elixir itself. The Word of God, alone, can claim the distinction of being endowed with the capacity required for so great and far-reaching a change."

So in the passage we have two facts: the literal and material possibility
Which, yes, it is indeed possible through nuclear transmutation.

But note Baha'u'llah's words here, he states it is physically possible, but stresses that the power of his Manifestation is the spiritual transmutation of man, and categorizes such spiritual transmutation as a "greater task" than the physical.

Ergo, since Baha'u'llah's Revelation is what brings forth the Age of Man, I'd think it more likely that the transmutation that is a sign is the spiritual transmutation that he himself emphasized over physical transmutation.

as well as the spiritual, so it is not necessary to view either as mutually exclusive. When taking all the passages together, I think both are indicated. The "divine philosophy" bit is only confusing because of the language restrictions imposed on him at the time. He was limited in expression due to the fact that there was no word for fusion, fission, no knowledge of the quantum mechanics necessary to understand or talk about such things. Also, there was no separation of philosophy from science as it is today. It is wrong, however, to assume it was always so, and if you stay current, there are even trends that seem to reverse this separation as some branches of physics sound increasingly philosophical and metaphysical again. Our writings are amazing. One of the things we learn from them, is that the physical and spiritual world are one world, not separate. Then it should not surprise us if a passage could speak about an energy technology in the same passage as spiritual transformation.
It should not surprise us, indeed, and it is a possibility. I make no statements of certainty when it comes to fulfillment of prophecy until that prophecy has been fulfilled. But I see nothing in the given quote that indicates that it is more likely for it to be a literal transmutation rather than a spiritual one. In fact I see the inverse, given Baha'u'llah's emphasis on spiritual transmutation as of greater importance to His mission.

And I don't fully think that fusion is the only way this sign could be physically fulfilled, if it will be indeed physically fulfilled. There are many possible ways that this passage could be physically applied if you want. Shoghi's description of the first sign makes even the field of Jungian Psychology fit!!

Just as a quick thought experiment:

"The first sign of the coming of age of humanity referred to in the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh is the emergence of a science which is described as that 'divine philosophy'" Jungian psychology is a combination of sciences and philosophy alike, so this part fits.

"which will include the discovery of a radical approach to the transmutation of elements." Jung phrased his ideas on individuation in terms of psychological transmutation, so this part fits.

"This is an indication of the splendours of the future stupendous expansion of knowledge." Unlocking our minds' full potentials would doubtlessly lead to a great expansion of knowledge, so this part fits to.

Thus, the discovery in question might be in the field of Jungian psychology. It could fit many literal discoveries, I think, if one tries to apply it.

But there's a long tradition of signs and prophecies of future eras having not a physical dimension, but a spiritual one. How often do we hear of people awaiting literal manifestations of prophecies that had spiritual dimensions?? How many await a Messiah who will restore Jerusalem physically, or await angels and demons to literally appear on the earth in battle to herald in the second coming??

Thus I maintain the position of my original post here: There remains a very good possibility that this prophecy will be fulfilled in a spiritual dimension, rather than a physical one. Given the past track record of prophecy, I'll always be cautious of the potential spiritual and symbolic dimensions of future predictions.

But hey, if you think fusion is the best fit for this prophecy, more power to ya. Since I'm the guy who posited that the Universal Auxiliary Language might be HTML (it fits all the needed qualifications), I'm not really in a position to judge anyone's interpretations. :p

Jul 2018
Great work! Yes, that was one of the passages I had in mind. Here is another that I am sure you are also familiar with:

"Consider the doubts which they who have joined partners with God have instilled into the hearts of the people of this land. "Is it ever possible," they ask, "for copper to be transmuted into gold?" Say, Yes, by my Lord, it is possible. Its secret, however, lieth hidden in Our Knowledge. We will reveal it unto whom We will. Whoso doubteth Our power, let him ask the Lord his God, that He may disclose unto him the secret, and assure him of its truth. That copper can be turned into gold is in itself sufficient proof that gold can, in like manner, be transmuted into copper, if they be of them that can apprehend this truth. Every mineral can be made to acquire the density, form, and substance of each and every other mineral. The knowledge thereof is with Us in the Hidden Book." Gleanings, XCVII

That taken with the previously referenced quotes from above:

the emergence of a science which is described as that 'divine philosophy'

"which will include the discovery of a radical approach to the transmutation of elements."

I forgot to mention this one, which I know you are also aware of:

"Every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God is endowed with such potency as can instill new life into every human frame, if ye be of them that comprehend this truth. All the wondrous works ye behold in this world have been manifested through the operation of His supreme and most exalted Will, His wondrous and inflexible Purpose. Through the mere revelation of the word “Fashioner,” issuing forth from His lips and proclaiming His attribute to mankind, such power is 142 released as can generate, through successive ages, all the manifold arts which the hands of man can produce. This, verily, is a certain truth. No sooner is this resplendent word uttered, than its animating energies, stirring within all created things, give birth to the means and instruments whereby such arts can be produced and perfected. All the wondrous achievements ye now witness are the direct consequences of the Revelation of this Name. In the days to come, ye will, verily, behold things of which ye have never heard before. Thus hath it been decreed in the Tablets of God, and none can comprehend it except them whose sight is sharp. In like manner, the moment the word expressing My attribute “The Omniscient” issueth forth from My mouth, every created thing will, according to its capacity and limitations, be invested with the power to unfold the knowledge of the most marvelous sciences, and will be empowered to manifest them in the course of time at the bidding of Him Who is the Almighty, the All-Knowing." Gleanings, LXXIV

These are among the reasons I believe it will be fusion technology and the related mastery over the elements that will go along with it. Why do I think so? Because energy is one of the most urgent problems facing the planet, and I do not believe wind sails and turbines even come close to addressing the challenge of energy. An ever advancing civilization will need more power. Much more, in fact.

Incidentally, the ancient quest of the alchemist was the "philosopher's stone"
a hypothetical substance capable of transmuting, of base metals into gold. So the "divine philosophy" seems to me another way of saying or perhaps translating "philosopher stone." Transmutation has already been demonstrated in physics but it is expensive and yields unimpressive quantities of gold. Nevertheless, I only mention this as evidence that the divine philosophy (as indicated by the scholars who wrote the notes of the Aqdas) is a science related to material/physical science, rather than spiritual.

On your other point, I don't agree that the international language will be or could be HTML as it doesn't meet the definition of a language or have the capacity to function as one. Rather, it a set of instructions a browser can use to render (mark up) a language in a display. In other words, it isn't a language at all, but a system for controlling the display and presentation of languages (any language, but a language is required or there would be nothing to display). I believe English (perhaps a partially manufactured variant such as "standard English" that is currently taught in most language schools around the world) will be selected and codified, but that is a different discussion. I don't want to derail my own thread! :p

Cheers

Last edited:
Aug 2010
New Zealand mainly
The claim is in the notes to the Aqdas, and cites no source in Baha'u'llah's writings. Take it with a grain of salt.
I suspect it may originate with Ali Nakhjavani:

===
"Bahá'u'lláh has given us three signs for the maturity of the world. These three signs are mentioned in the annotations of {The Kitáb-i-Aqdas}. One is the adoption of a universal language. The second is the time when the rulers will not be willing to assume leadership. The third is the discovery of a radical approach to the transmutation of elements. Bahá'u'lláh received many letters from Bahá'ís who wanted to know how to change copper into gold! He did not give direct answers and He used a veiled language. I can assure you that if you read them you'd not understand! If a compilation were made of all He wrote about alchemy it would be the size of the {Kitáb-i-Íqán}. I myself have read and reread them. Bahá'u'lláh says that He has used a veiled language so that robbers and thieves will not abuse this knowledge. When humanity is mature, Bahá'u'lláh will remove the veil."

(Ali Nakhjavani, Shoghi Effendi - The Range and Power of His Pen, p. 80)

Jul 2018
The claim is in the notes to the Aqdas, and cites no source in Baha'u'llah's writings. Take it with a grain of salt.
I suspect it may originate with Ali Nakhjavani:

===
"Bahá'u'lláh has given us three signs for the maturity of the world. These three signs are mentioned in the annotations of {The Kitáb-i-Aqdas}. One is the adoption of a universal language. The second is the time when the rulers will not be willing to assume leadership. The third is the discovery of a radical approach to the transmutation of elements. Bahá'u'lláh received many letters from Bahá'ís who wanted to know how to change copper into gold! He did not give direct answers and He used a veiled language. I can assure you that if you read them you'd not understand! If a compilation were made of all He wrote about alchemy it would be the size of the {Kitáb-i-Íqán}. I myself have read and reread them. Bahá'u'lláh says that He has used a veiled language so that robbers and thieves will not abuse this knowledge. When humanity is mature, Bahá'u'lláh will remove the veil."

(Ali Nakhjavani, Shoghi Effendi - The Range and Power of His Pen, p. 80)

In the English quotations I have provided above there is support for the interpretation I am entertaining that I think is enough to fuel some discussion. Your quote that you bring actually adds more support to it but you seem to suggest otherwise. Do you deny the existence of the compilation referenced in your quote or is it you question the integrity of the scholarship that went into the Kitab-i-Aqdas? If so, I wonder, with whose words salt is needed...

It is strange to me that anyone has difficulty with this. The interpretations and possibilities (that i only suggest) are completely reasonable and seem to align with the current extraordinary and unprecedented happenings related to fusion development they are certainly possible from the perspective of Baha'i teachings and from the perspective of science.

Cheers

Sep 2010
Earth
In the English quotations I have provided above there is support for the interpretation I am entertaining that I think is enough to fuel some discussion. Your quote that you bring actually adds more support to it but you seem to suggest otherwise. Do you deny the existence of the compilation referenced in your quote or is it you question the integrity of the scholarship that went into the Kitab-i-Aqdas? If so, I wonder, with whose words salt is needed...

It is strange to me that anyone has difficulty with this. The interpretations and possibilities (that i only suggest) are completely reasonable and seem to align with the current extraordinary and unprecedented happenings related to fusion development they are certainly possible from the perspective of Baha'i teachings and from the perspective of science.

Cheers
I am.more than happy with your thoughts about what may be. ;)

When we add this quote things get exciting;

166: O servant of Bahá! Be self-sacrificing in the path …

"O servant of Bahá! Be self-sacrificing in the path of God, and wing thy flight unto the heavens of the love of the Abhá Beauty, for any movement animated by love moveth from the periphery to the centre, from space to the Day-Star of the universe. Perchance thou deemest this to be difficult, but I tell thee that such cannot be the case, for when the motivating and guiding power is the divine force of magnetism it is possible, by its aid, to traverse time and space easily and swiftly. Glory be upon the people of Bahá."

I personally see things accelerating to a time of great change and I think the current generation will see that change in a big way!

In pilgrim notes it appears a catastrophic event may preceed the day when man starts to embrace its unity, and as a unity of mind is required to unlock these secrets, that day may not be far away. In those notes Shoghi Effendi says it will be an interpretation of the news and it will happen overnight, we will know it is about to happen. That was interesting.

Amazing times we are living in.

Regards Tony

Last edited: