The Kingdom of Heaven on Earth

Sep 2010
United Kingdom
At times religion can seem extremely "Otherwordly". Its often about escaping from the evils of the world and going to a better place. Obviously there is an afterlife, and I hope that we all meet each other there before the Beatific Vision of God :cool: But at times the emphasis on "otherworldlines" can become - well...deadbeat, does it not?

Ask someone where heaven is and many will still look up to the sky...Why must religion seem far away from the daily travails of our lives? In many opinion, any religion which takes one outside one's own present circumstances, is not really that beneficial.

According to the Gospel of Thomas the Kingdom of Heaven is here and now, and has been since time began. In the Gospel of Thomas we learn to become immortal. I continually focus on these sayings when I want to rememeber that my faith can and should be realized in the HERE and NOW with TRUTH and ACTION on earth.

The Gospel of Thomas contains the saying of Jesus, parables, riddles, paradoxes. Through understanding these sayings, 'seek and ye shall find', we enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

The Kingdom of Heaven is not up there or down there, not a promised land we enter in the distant future, it is here and now, has been since the beginning of time, it is within us and without us.

And he said: Whoever finds the correct interpretation of these sayings will never die.

Jesus said: The seeker should not stop until he finds. When he does find, he will be disturbed. After having been disturbed, he will be astonished. Then he will reign over everything.

Jesus said: If your leaders say to you “Look! The Kingdom is in the sky!” Then the birds will be there before you are. If they say that the Kingdom is in the sea, then the fish will be there before you are. Rather, the Kingdom is within you and it is outside of you.

When you understand yourselves you will find the Kingdom. And you will realize that you are Sons of the living Father. If you do not know yourselves then you exist in poverty and you are that poverty.

Jesus said: One who knows everything else but who does not know himself knows nothing.

They asked him: When is the Kingdom coming? He replied: It is not coming in an easily observable manner. People will not be saying, “Look it's over here” or “Look, it's over there.” Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is already spread out on the earth, and people aren't aware of it.

Nov 2010
Richmond, Indiana
They asked him: When is the Kingdom coming? He replied: It is not coming in an easily observable manner. People will not be saying, “Look it's over here” or “Look, it's over there.” Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is already spread out on the earth, and people aren't aware of it.

hmm other messengers with the relative truth of Godliness to lead mankind?

Jun 2006
California
There are selections in the Baha'i Writings about the coming of the Kingdom:

If the inhabitants of a great continent become one spirit in different bodies marvelous progress will be made and if the people of the entire globe are welded into one great commonwealth the prayer, "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as in heaven," will be a reality for each will have the kingdom within himself.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 183

I pray that you may grow in Divine fervour, and that the power of unity in the Spirit will augment, so that the prophecies may be fulfilled, and that in this great century of the Light of God all the glad tidings written in the Sacred Books may come to pass. This is the glorious time of which the Lord Jesus Christ spoke when He told us to pray 'Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven'. I hope that this is also your expectation and great desire.

We are united in the one aim and hope that all shall be as one and every heart illumined by the Love of our Divine Father, God!

May all our actions be spiritual, and all our interests and affections be centred in the Kingdom of Glory!

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 87

"It is nearly two thousand years since His holiness the Lord Christ taught this prayer to His people: "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth , as it is in Heaven.' Thinkest thou that He would have commanded thee to pray for that which would never come? That prayer is also a prophecy."

"'Abdu'l-Bahá, when will the Kingdom come? How soon will His Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven?"

"It depends on how intensely you, each and every one of you, serve day and night. Ye are all torches that I have lighted with mine own hands. Go forth, light others till all the separate waiting servants are linked together in a great Unity.

"Those who are working alone are like ants, but when they are united they will become as eagles.

"Those who work singly are as drops, but, when united, they will become a vast river carrying the cleansing water of life into the barren desert places of the world. Before the power of its rushing flood, neither misery, nor sorrow, nor any grief will be able to stand. Be united! It is rather dangerous to be an isolated drop. It might be spilled or blown away."

~ Lady Blomfield, The Chosen Highway, p. 172

Aug 2010
New Zealand mainly
ARE YOU INDICATING A NEW STANDARD FOR SEARCH?

Like - choose which Gospel is trustworthy?

I just like to take the Bible as a whole :yes:

Cheers Tony
The Gospel of Thomas is not canonical, that is, it's not part of the Bible accepted by any of the major Christian churches. I've looked at it, and I'm inclined to agree with the Churches on this. Where it agrees with the canonical Gospels, it's redundant, and where it has different material, I think it represents wisdom sayings current among early Christians (perhaps very early Christians, 50-100AD), but having studied the wisdom sayings that circulate among Bahais and are attributed to Abdu'l-Baha, or sometimes to Baha'u'llah, I know that a religion is very eclectic in its early days. You can see a list of some of the sayings I have tried to track to their sources here:
Pilgrims Notes — Blogs, Pictures, and more on WordPress

Similarly, the 3 sources Arthra quoted above are all unauthentic material. They may be interesting to read, but they should not be relied upon as a source of knowledge about the Bahai teachings.

Jun 2006
California
Sen may be correct as the sources are maybe closer to Pilgrim Notes..however we also have Tablets written by Abdul-Baha such as the following:

O people of the world!

By God, the truth is, if thou goest according to the teachings of El-Abd [1] and followest the steps of Him who is annihilated in God, thou shalt see that the cohorts of the kingdom of God will come to thy help, one after another, and that the hosts of the Might of God will be in thy presence in steady succession, the gates of the great victory opened and the rays of the brilliant morning diffused!

By thy life, O my beloved! if thou didst know what God had ordained for thee, thou wouldst fly with delight and thy happiness, gladness and joy would increase every hour! El-Baha be upon thee!

[1 El Abd -- the Servant, meaning Abdul-Baha.]

(Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v2, p. 259)

But it is nice to have a scholar around...:cool:

Apr 2011
NZ
ARE YOU INDICATING A NEW STANDARD FOR SEARCH?

Like - choose which Gospel is trustworthy?

I just like to take the Bible as a whole :yes:

Cheers Tony
Im advocating an old standard, that is we do not trust the words of inuathentic origen such as the Gospel of thomas which came out from the second century and promotes gnostic theology (if one wants to obtain salvation he need to understand the words in this book to paraphrase the opening of the gospel).

And it was the church that decided which gospels were authentic that you have and use. So yes.

Oct 2010
Phoenix, AZ
The "Kingdom of God" describes the enlightened state. I had hoped you were aware of this, Yeshua, but I guess not. You have hinted towards this often, and yet you ask a foolish question that proves you actually have no idea. I apologize for my recent e-mails.