The more correct view on life ?

Sep 2017
Earth
No I was not. I need help as how to view life correctly. Because Abdul Baha says to love everyone, I can be in the mode of manifesting love and kindness and show compassion to the sinner and see him as just ignorant who needs healing and I see Abdul Baha did this but another side to me is that actually this life is a test to seperate the true people from the false as the Quran states ‘We created life and death as a test to see which of you excels in deeds’ this makes me feel different and I start to see life as a competition who can gain the highest rank and see the unbeliever as someone who has failed tests and start detaching from the world ... I think the first view is more correct and aligned to Bahá’í faith but then how shall I view the verse that Life and death is a test to see which of us excels in deed, Bahá’u’lláh also says lots of things are tests to seperate the true from the false, that he could of made all man one people but then there would be no test, how veiled language is a test to seperate the true and sincere from the false.

In the second view, I start to differentiate and find it more difficult to manifest true love and compassion, especially for non believers as I see that they have failed Gods tests but I think this is not the correct view?

But then what to make of all the verses which Speak of the seperation of the pure and unpure

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
No I was not. I need help as how to view life correctly. Because Abdul Baha says to love everyone, I can be in the mode of manifesting love and kindness and show compassion to the sinner and see him as just ignorant who needs healing and I see Abdul Baha did this but another side to me is that actually this life is a test to seperate the true people from the false as the Quran states ‘We created life and death as a test to see which of you excels in deeds’ this makes me feel different and I start to see life as a competition who can gain the highest rank and see the unbeliever as someone who has failed tests and start detaching from the world ... I think the first view is more correct and aligned to Bahá’í faith but then how shall I view the verse that Life and death is a test to see which of us excels in deed, Bahá’u’lláh also says lots of things are tests to seperate the true from the false, that he could of made all man one people but then there would be no test, how veiled language is a test to seperate the true and sincere from the false.

In the second view, I start to differentiate and find it more difficult to manifest true love and compassion, especially for non believers as I see that they have failed Gods tests but I think this is not the correct view?

But then what to make of all the verses which Speak of the seperation of the pure and unpure
We should only see the good in people, which means we should not look at those who do not believe in Baha'u'llah as benighted.

Jun 2014
Wisconsin

It could be both worldviews, if that helps.

Just because it is a test does not mean that we are competing against one another. Everyone in a class who takes an exam can potentially get an 'A' (unless the grade is curved, of course, but I've seen nothing to indicate our "class" of life uses a grading curve). It could be like one of those Escape Rooms where we all ultimately work together to win. In such a case, it can be a test and we can love and be compassionate towards others.

We aren't like the Jehovah's Witnesses, who believe that only 144,000 people may enter the Kingdom of God, and thus entry into it becomes a competition where only a few may succeed. As far as has been seen, there is no true limit to the size of the Abha Kingdom.

Sep 2018
usa
‘We created life and death as a test to see which of you excels in deeds’
how kind of god.
this verse in my mind means, do not be anguished by the tests of life, or the fear of death. it's just a test to see who needs more love and guidance.
although, each verse of Quran has infinit meanings, each more beautiful than the other.

Oct 2014
Stockholm
Remember that Abdu'l-Bahá is our exemplar. We should look at His deeds, as well as at His words. To love everyone doesn't
equal letting human predators attack others. He was stern when talking about such people.

gnat

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
Remember that Abdu'l-Bahá is our exemplar. We should look at His deeds, as well as at His words. To love everyone doesn't
equal letting human predators attack others. He was stern when talking about such people.

gnat
Thanks for that... Baha’u’llah of course also wrote about the importance of justice.
I do not know what quote you are referring to from Abdu’l-Baha... I know about the following quote and I refer to it often:

“O ye beloved of the Lord! The Kingdom of God is founded upon equity and justice, and also upon mercy, compassion, and kindness to every living soul. Strive ye then with all your heart to treat compassionately all humankind—except for those who have some selfish, private motive, or some disease of the soul. Kindness cannot be shown the tyrant, the deceiver, or the thief, because, far from awakening them to the error of their ways, it maketh them to continue in their perversity as before. No matter how much kindliness ye may expend upon the liar, he will but lie the more, for he believeth you to be deceived, while ye understand him but too well, and only remain silent out of your extreme compassion.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 158

I am dealing with a deceiver and liar right now. I have two houses that I rent out and he is a tenant in one of my houses. To (try to) make a long story short, last spring my house became vacant after long-term tenants moved out but it incurred a lot of water damage from a broken pipe in the ceiling as they were moving out and it affected part of the house, such that about one-third of the house could not be used. However, the other two-thirds of the house has two bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, and dining room, so the house could be lived in. I never should have rented it before the repairs were completed but I found someone on Craigslist wanting to rent a house and after two months he talked me into giving him a Lease, with the stipulation that he accepts the house in its present condition (in the Lease). He is a registered sex offender so he could not get a rental and I felt sorry for him, but also I thought that was behind him and he was a sincere person and he would be a good fit for the house since he had the money to pay the rent. Previous tenants got behind on rent so they owe me $6700 and I will probably have to go to court to get that money.

Before that tenant moved in, I had been trying to get bids from contractors to repair the water damage as well as a roofer because that part of the house needed a new roof. I continued to get bids after he moved in. Shortly after he moved in he started to complain and threaten me with attorneys and county inspectors, and he wanted me to hire him for the work because he is a licensed contractor. I was not going to hire him because I do not like hiring tenants given it is a conflict of interest, but also his bids were three times more than other bids I got. But he kept trying to get me to hire him, and as long as he thought I might hire him he did not complain. I finally got the roof done in August and I now have a contractor hired to repair the other damages, but he now has an attorney who wrote me a letter demanding a full refund of the rent he has paid since March 1 and replacement of all his furniture, because he says the house is uninhabitable and his furniture has been destroyed by mold. I do not believe a word of it but since our state law does not define what is considered habitable he can claim whatever he wants to. Whether he can prove it is another matter altogether.

Well, I have consulted with more than one attorney and they do not think he has a case. He either really believes he is a victim or he is just a scammer, how can I know? Actually I do not care, I just wish he would die. He is so narcissistic and evil he will probably continue pursuing me. He has harassed me ever since he moved in, I have all the e-mails for evidence, and now he is claiming he is a victim. Victim of what? I told him the second month that he was there that because the repairs were taking longer than I expected he could have a mutually agreed upon Lease termination and I would refund his security deposit and last month’s rent. But he declined to move, no doubt because he cannot get another rental with no rental history and a sex offense record....

So what would Abdu’l-Baha tell me to do if he were alive, what would Baha’u’llah say? I always tend to take the blame for everything and that is in my psychological profile, but I have learned to stand up for myself. I so much blame myself for everything it is difficult to know if/when I am really to blame. Obviously, that is one reason I need an attorney, and the law is the law regardless of how I feel or what I think. I have a phone consult with an attorney next Monday so hopefully she will be able to advise me on how to proceed. If he tries to sue me in court I might counter sue for emotional pain and suffering. Justice is mine sayeth the Lord but the Lord is not here.

I am not going to let him get away with this. Just because I am very strong does not mean I am not suffering. I have not been depressed in years but now I am getting depressed. I have a long history of major depression and anxiety and I had one suicide attempt in 2014, so I am sure I could get a counselor or psychiatrist to concur that I am suffering because of him, as there is nothing else out of the ordinary that has been going on in my life. My life is normally very stressful but I have a high tolerance for stress. It is injustice and threats of legal action that pushes me over the edge. People like that frighten me because I never know what they will do next given they are emotionally unbalanced. This is certainly not the first tenant who has threatened me but it is the first one who has made demands on me and hired an attorney.

Last edited:
Oct 2014
Stockholm
Thanks for that... Baha’u’llah of course also wrote about the importance of justice.
I do not know what quote you are referring to from Abdu’l-Baha... I know about the following quote and I refer to it often:

“O ye beloved of the Lord! The Kingdom of God is founded upon equity and justice, and also upon mercy, compassion, and kindness to every living soul. Strive ye then with all your heart to treat compassionately all humankind—except for those who have some selfish, private motive, or some disease of the soul. Kindness cannot be shown the tyrant, the deceiver, or the thief, because, far from awakening them to the error of their ways, it maketh them to continue in their perversity as before. No matter how much kindliness ye may expend upon the liar, he will but lie the more, for he believeth you to be deceived, while ye understand him but too well, and only remain silent out of your extreme compassion.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 158

I am dealing with a deceiver and liar right now. I have two houses that I rent out and he is a tenant in one of my houses. To (try to) make a long story short, last spring my house became vacant after long-term tenants moved out but it incurred a lot of water damage from a broken pipe in the ceiling as they were moving out and it affected part of the house, such that about one-third of the house could not be used. However, the other two-thirds of the house has two bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, and dining room, so the house could be lived in. I never should have rented it before the repairs were completed but I found someone on Craigslist wanting to rent a house and after two months he talked me into giving him a Lease, with the stipulation that he accepts the house in its present condition (in the Lease). He is a registered sex offender so he could not get a rental and I felt sorry for him, but also I thought that was behind him and he was a sincere person and he would be a good fit for the house since he had the money to pay the rent. Previous tenants got behind on rent so they owe me $6700 and I will probably have to go to court to get that money.

Before that tenant moved in, I had been trying to get bids from contractors to repair the water damage as well as a roofer because that part of the house needed a new roof. I continued to get bids after he moved in. Shortly after he moved in he started to complain and threaten me with attorneys and county inspectors, and he wanted me to hire him for the work because he is a licensed contractor. I was not going to hire him because I do not like hiring tenants given it is a conflict of interest, but also his bids were three times more than other bids I got. But he kept trying to get me to hire him, and as long as he thought I might hire him he did not complain. I finally got the roof done in August and I now have a contractor hired to repair the other damages, but he now has an attorney who wrote me a letter demanding a full refund of the rent he has paid since March 1 and replacement of all his furniture, because he says the house is uninhabitable and his furniture has been destroyed by mold. I do not believe a word of it but since our state law does not define what is considered habitable he can claim whatever he wants to. Whether he can prove it is another matter altogether.

Well, I have consulted with more than one attorney and they do not think he has a case. He either really believes he is a victim or he is just a scammer, how can I know? Actually I do not care, I just wish he would die. He is so narcissistic and evil he will probably continue pursuing me. He has harassed me ever since he moved in, I have all the e-mails for evidence, and now he is claiming he is a victim. Victim of what? I told him the second month that he was there that because the repairs were taking longer than I expected he could have a mutually agreed upon Lease termination and I would refund his security deposit and last month’s rent. But he declined to move, no doubt because he cannot get another rental with no rental history and a sex offense record....

So what would Abdu’l-Baha tell me to do if he were alive, what would Baha’u’llah say? I always tend to take the blame for everything and that is in my psychological profile, but I have learned to stand up for myself. I so much blame myself for everything it is difficult to know if/when I am really to blame. Obviously, that is one reason I need an attorney, and the law is the law regardless of how I feel or what I think. I have a phone consult with an attorney next Monday so hopefully she will be able to advise me on how to proceed. If he tries to sue me in court I might counter sue for emotional pain and suffering. Justice is mine sayeth the Lord but the Lord is not here.

I am not going to let him get away with this. Just because I am very strong does not mean I am not suffering. I have not been depressed in years but now I am getting depressed. I have a long history of major depression and anxiety and I had one suicide attempt in 2014, so I am sure I could get a counselor or psychiatrist to concur that I am suffering because of him, as there is nothing else out of the ordinary that has been going on in my life. My life is normally very stressful but I have a high tolerance for stress. It is injustice and threats of legal action that pushes me over the edge. People like that frighten me because I never know what they will do next given they are emotionally unbalanced. This is certainly not the first tenant who has threatened me but it is the first one who has made demands on me and hired an attorney.
" I just wish he would die. "

A very reasonable reaction, I'd say. :)

gnat

Apr 2018
Ontario

That’s a regrettable situation, owning property can be a great burden. I’m working to unburden myself now. My wife does analyst work from home so we only need to be near a major population center for my work in construction management. Property values have risen substantial in my area and property taxes are very high so if I get out now and move to the deep country I could retire from construction and grow vegetables and keep fish, chicken and turkey. That would suit me just fine!

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
" I just wish he would die. "

A very reasonable reaction, I'd say. :)

gnat
Not only for my sake do I wish that, but because he is better off in the hands of God than in his own hands... Is there any hope that people like this who are in middle age are going to change? On the other hand:

“He should forgive the sinful, and never despise his low estate, for none knoweth what his own end shall be. How often hath a sinner attained, at the hour of death, to the essence of faith, and, quaffing the immortal draught, hath taken his flight unto the Concourse on high! And how often hath a devout believer, at the hour of his soul’s ascension, been so changed as to fall into the nethermost fire!” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 266

I am a hopeless optimist, always looking for the good in people, which is probably why I get stuck with this kind of tenant in the first place. :(

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
That’s a regrettable situation, owning property can be a great burden. I’m working to unburden myself now. My wife does analyst work from home so we only need to be near a major population center for my work in construction management. Property values have risen substantial in my area and property taxes are very high so if I get out now and move to the deep country I could retire from construction and grow vegetables and keep fish, chicken and turkey. That would suit me just fine!
We own three houses, rent two, but life was much easier when we only had one house. Actually, the rental house I spoke of is the house that we lived in for 17 years. I loved that house but it was too small for all the cats we had at the time, which is the main reason we moved to a bigger house.

Your dream sounds like my dream... :) We live in the country about 12 miles from the city but I would be happier to be further out in the country, in the mountains or the woods, far from cars and traffic. I detest cars and I hardly ever drive one, instead I commute to work and back three hours daily on a bicycle.

My husband worked for state government but he retired about three years ago, so he is home all the time...
I still work for state government as a GIS Cartographer so I have to go into town four days a week since I work ten hours a day. I now have enough years working and I am old enough to retire now and we have enough money and assets, so I do not need to keep working. However, with all that is going on with the rental house I cannot think about anything else, it has taken over my life.

By the way, I do not know where in Ontario you are located but that is my old neck of the woods. When I was a child and my dad was alive we used to go up to Lake Weslemkoon every summer, where we spent all summer in a very rustic cabin on that lake with no plumbing or electricity. Those are my only fond memories of childhood. :( There was only a long dirt road that led to each end of that lake and no roads around it. That is probably where I acquired my love for lakes, woods, nature, rustic houses, and living far from population centers.

It is just too bad that tenant does not like my rustic river rock rental house, but he knew what he was renting before he signed that Lease. Whenever I advertise it for rent I have so many people wanting to rent it that I cannot even respond to them all. I also rent it way below market. People like to be able to live in the country on acreage on a river and be close to town so they can easily drive to work. As soon as my contractor finishes the repairs to that house we will decide what to do with it.

I would probably be insane by now if I was not a Baha'i and did not know that this mortal world of dust is just transitory. Nevertheless, we all have to endure it for now. The thing is I have the financial resources to change my life situation but I just cannot seem to extricate myself right now. Sometimes I wonder how much free will we actually have and how much is predestined by God. :confused: