The Mystic Wayfarer

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
In the mid 90's, my introduction to the internet was through my purchase of a "webTV"; very much like a PC, only not as expensive for the times, using a television for a screen and not having its own memory bank. It depended on the webTV server.

Therein, as a Baha'i, the chat room Talk City was discovered, upon which was an open Baha'i internet fireside. As an isolated believer, this seemed a godsend in compliance with what had been foretold by the Guardian, Shoghi Effendi.

My first chat, having a Baha'i moderator as the host, lead toward discussing the mystical aspect of the Faith, as such was the path that did lead to my personal declaration of faith (membership in the Baha'i Faith).

Then came the hammer !!! He said there were no mystics in the Baha'i Faith and to drop the subject. My first thought ..... he was a westerner and had no concept of the Seven Valleys and the Four Valleys. This ended my involvement with the internet fireside chat.

A few years later, after having obtained a PC, Planet Baha'i was discovered while surfing the internet. This allowed for the topic to be introduced once again, although the host, Dale, was more open to the concept. Several believers were adamant in their opinion that mysticism had no place in the Baha'i Faith. Hence, after ruffling many feathers, the Baha'i Mystics Forum was created. This evolved into a website called Millennial Mystics after approval and advisement by the Universal House of Justice.

Today, mystic wayfarers abound in the Faith. West, North, East, and South many can be found. The following was a webpage in answer to the question:
Are there mystics in the Baha'i Faith? It has a discourse on the differences between a "mystic" in the world, and a Baha'i wayfarer.

Mystic Wayfarers

Best regards to all,
Zo
Thank you Zo, I had missed this post.

Regards Tony

Sep 2010
I guess I consider myself a mystic of sorts. Walrus has it right about the rejection of secrecy.
Then there is the advice not to disclose to a person more than they can bear, thus in a way, all that is mystical in the writings, are hidden secrets of many hearts in this Material world, that are not shared.

Regards Tony

Sep 2010
It appears the link no longer works in the OP.

A net search found the site, but it appears it did not have much response.

Regards Tony

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
This is an old thread, but an interesting topic, so it's active again, here's some further thoughts on the matter that have come to me in the 2+ years since my last reply on this thread:

I think another reason why some Baha'is say there is no mysticism in the faith is that there is a Writing where Baha'u'llah says the mystics are no longer necessary. However, one has to look at that statement in its proper context. Baha'u'llah compares the mystic to a man with a lamp guiding people through the darkness, and states that the mystic is not needed when the Sun (the prophet) has risen, as the whole world is bathed in light.

So Baha'u'llah's statement that mystics were no longer necessary is about mystics not being necessary while a prophet is alive and teaching. This carries with it an implication that they serve an important function in times, such as the one we are currently in, where we don't have direct access to a prophet.

Reactions: becky