The right pronunciation of Alláh-u-abhá

Jan 2011
Detroit, MI USA
Just a quick question.

I've been thinking of the sacred word Alláh-u-abhá and I was looking at how it's spelled so my question is how exactly do you say it? I've been saying it like Allow-ah-pa or Allah-ah-pa and that's how most baha'is that I've seen/know say it.

So do you actually say it like:

Allow-ah-pa

Allow-oo-pa

Allow-ah-apa

Allow-oo-apa

Allow-ah-ba

Allow-oo-ba

Allow-ah-aba

Allow-oo-aba

Allah-ah-pa

Allah-oo-pa

Allah-ah-apa

Allah-oo-apa

Allah-ah-ba

Allah-oo-ba

Allah-ah-aba

Allah-oo-aba

I'm just trying to be correct when I say the word.

Last edited:
Sep 2010
Earth
Just a quick question.

I've been thinking of the sacred word Alláh-u-abhá and I was looking at how it's spelled so my question is how exactly do you say it? I've been saying it like Allow-ah-pa or Allah-ah-pa and that's how most baha'is that I've seen/know say it.

Allow-ah-pa

Allow-oo-pa

Allow-ah-apa

Allow-oo-apa

Allow-ah-ba

Allow-oo-ba

Allow-ah-aba

Allow-oo-aba

Allah-ah-pa

Allah-oo-pa

Allah-ah-apa

Allah-oo-apa

Allah-ah-ba

Allah-oo-ba

Allah-ah-aba

Allah-oo-aba

Does this work?

Words that start with 'A' - Baha'i Glossary, a Spoken Dictionary of Baha'i Words and Phrases - BahaIQ

Regards Tony

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Just a quick question.

Allow-ah-pa

Allow-oo-pa

Allow-ah-apa

Allow-oo-apa

Allow-ah-ba

Allow-oo-ba

Allow-ah-aba

Allow-oo-aba

Allah-ah-pa

Allah-oo-pa

Allah-ah-apa

Allah-oo-apa

Allah-ah-ba

Allah-oo-ba

Allah-ah-aba

Allah-oo-aba

Well...

Depends on what you mean by correct I guess. It's an Arabic phrase, but it seems Farsi speakers tend to pronounce it differently than Arabic speakers. So the question is do you want to pronounce it like an Arab or like a Persian??

I found online an Arabic speaker attempting to explain the pronunciation as: "The first part of the word is Allah, pronounced like most Muslims would say Allah, there is a subtle 'h' sound at the end of the word. All-lah. The second part of the word is the conjunction 'u' sound like 'oo' like in the word boot. The last part of the word, Abhá starts with a soft 'a' as in father, followed by the b sound then a 'ha' sound. Ab-ha. "

I also found online the an explanation of the Farsi pronunciation: "'Al-LAH-oo-ab-ha' with the 'oo' sound very de-stressed, almost not a sound at all but kind of like opening your throat and swallowing the vowel ... Also, most Americans get the true pronunciation of 'Allah' wrong because it sounds wrong to us. It's not ah-lah, it's al-lah, with the 'al' rhyming with 'gal' (not an *exact* rhyme but as close as English can get). This is why you will see Allah'u'Abha technically written as 'Alláh'u'Abhá' in Baha'i orthography, with the diacritical over the á indicating an 'aw' (as in father) sound. An 'a' without the diacritical is pronounced with a short a (as in 'cat')"

(If I had to guess which is more "correct", I'd lean towards the Arabic, since that is the language that we are told is best for religious usage)

Jan 2011
Detroit, MI USA
Well...

Depends on what you mean by correct I guess. It's an Arabic phrase, but it seems Farsi speakers tend to pronounce it differently than Arabic speakers. So the question is do you want to pronounce it like an Arab or like a Persian??

I found online an Arabic speaker attempting to explain the pronunciation as: "The first part of the word is Allah, pronounced like most Muslims would say Allah, there is a subtle 'h' sound at the end of the word. All-lah. The second part of the word is the conjunction 'u' sound like 'oo' like in the word boot. The last part of the word, Abhá starts with a soft 'a' as in father, followed by the b sound then a 'ha' sound. Ab-ha. "

I also found online the an explanation of the Farsi pronunciation: "'Al-LAH-oo-ab-ha' with the 'oo' sound very de-stressed, almost not a sound at all but kind of like opening your throat and swallowing the vowel ... Also, most Americans get the true pronunciation of 'Allah' wrong because it sounds wrong to us. It's not ah-lah, it's al-lah, with the 'al' rhyming with 'gal' (not an *exact* rhyme but as close as English can get). This is why you will see Allah'u'Abha technically written as 'Alláh'u'Abhá' in Baha'i orthography, with the diacritical over the á indicating an 'aw' (as in father) sound. An 'a' without the diacritical is pronounced with a short a (as in 'cat')"

(If I had to guess which is more "correct", I'd lean towards the Arabic, since that is the language that we are told is best for religious usage)
Thank you for the explanation.

I guess I want to pronounce it like the arabic because it's an arabic word.

But just in case I missed it, what's the pronunciation for both arabic and persian?

Sep 2018
usa
for me its AAL-LAW-HO-(short break)-AAP-HA

AAL- allen wrench
LAW - law and order
HO - hotel
AAP - apple , correct way is to use (B), but kinda sounds like a (P)
HA - hot

Last edited: