the soul's journey

Nov 2013
Canada
I have been researching the writings about the soul in the afterlife. Although we in our human state are not meant to know much about the afterlife, I am understanding the soul will recognize and communicate with other souls known to them or on the same spiritual level. I also understand we are encouraged to pray for those who have passed. My question is do those who have passed pray for us and do those who have passed have knowledge of our human daily lives?

Oct 2013
Rise with Joy
This question itself is silly. Why is this important to know?

To break down your question:

1. What is communication?
2. What is recognition?
3. What is prayer?
4. What is life? Are people who are "alive" sometimes considered dead?
5. What does spiritual level mean?

Last edited:
Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
I have been researching the writings about the soul in the afterlife. Although we in our human state are not meant to know much about the afterlife, I am understanding the soul will recognize and communicate with other souls known to them or on the same spiritual level. I also understand we are encouraged to pray for those who have passed. My question is do those who have passed pray for us and do those who have passed have knowledge of our human daily lives?
Dear believer, I think you have asked an intelligent question.

As to your question yes I believe they that have passed can pray for us, as we can pray for them.
And yes I believe they see everything that is happening here in this life.
I just don't have the quotes before me at this time, I am sure others will come and supply them, for us.

I understand from the writings that the other spiritual world is right with us but we can't see it.

Keep up your research, and please ask us any questions.

Oct 2013
Rise with Joy
Dear believer, I think you have asked an intelligent question.

As to your question yes I believe they that have passed can pray for us, as we can pray for them.
And yes I believe they see everything that is happening here in this life.
I just don't have the quotes before me at this time, I am sure others will come and supply them, for us.

I understand from the writings that the other spiritual world is right with us but we can't see it.

Keep up your research, and please ask us any questions.
Are you sure this is what the writings say or is this your own understanding of the Writings?

Does Bahaullah not write that people who are alive are really dead for having turned away from the Manifestation? Is this not a greater death than the mere death of physical bodies? Why is physical death considered such an important topic if Bahaullah elevated spiritual death over physical death? For how else can a physically alive man really be dead?

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Are you sure this is what the writings say or is this your own understanding of the Writings?

Does Bahaullah not write that people who are alive are really dead for having turned away from the Manifestation? Is this not a greater death than the mere death of physical bodies? Why is physical death considered such an important topic if Bahaullah elevated spiritual death over physical death? For how else can a physically alive man really be dead?
We each have our understandings of the writings.

I just gave my understanding, and as you must have read said that others may give the actual quotes on these matters.

As for Baha'u'llah writing concerning living people actually being dead, Jesus and Muhammad have also spoken about this in their writings also, so it is not a new theme. But of course Baha'u'llah has brought far more knowledge.

As for people being interested in the next life, many people are interested, as I also find the teachings on this subject from Abdul-Baha and Baha'u'llah of interest.
What does not interest you, mat be of interest to others one can not dismiss another persons interest. I have the feeling my friend that you are a young person, and I am sure your interests re the writings will also change over time.

We all need to learn to listen to others with compassion, we are not to preach to each other, no one knows the vessel of another.

Love and peace to you

Oct 2013
Glenwood, Queensland, Australia
Good morning

The question was asked : "Are you sure this is what the writings say or is this your own understanding of the Writings?"

The Writings are quite clear on this matter. Yes, souls who have gone to the next world can benefit from our prayers, and likewise they too pray for us. Yes, souls in the next world can have an influence in this world. Bolding in the quotes that follow is purely my own. As always, I suggest that people check the source to ensure that I have not quoted out of context.

...and the Prophets of God and His chosen ones will seek its companionship. With them that soul will freely converse, and will recount unto them that which it hath been made to endure in the path of God, the Lord of all worlds.
(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 156)
LXXXVI. And now concerning thy question whether human souls continue to be conscious one of another after their separation from the body. Know thou that the souls of the people of Baha, who have entered and been established within the Crimson Ark, shall associate and commune intimately one with another, and shall be so closely associated in their lives, their aspirations, their aims and strivings as to be even as one soul. They are indeed the ones who are well-informed, who are keen-sighted, and who are endued with understanding. Thus hath it been decreed by Him Who is the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.

The people of Baha, who are the inmates of the Ark of God, are, one and all, well aware of one another's state and condition, and are united in the bonds of intimacy and fellowship. Such a state, however, must depend upon their faith and their conduct. They that are of the same grade and station are fully aware of one another's capacity, character, accomplishments and merits. They that are of a lower grade, however, are incapable of comprehending adequately the station, or of estimating the merits, of those that rank above them. Each shall receive his share from thy Lord. Blessed is the man that hath turned his face towards God, and walked steadfastly in His love, until his soul hath winged its flight unto God, the Sovereign Lord of all, the Most Powerful, the Ever-Forgiving, the All-Merciful.
(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 169)
Blessed is the soul which, at the hour of its separation from the body, is sanctified from the vain imaginings of the peoples of the world. Such a soul liveth and moveth in accordance with the Will of its Creator, ...

The purpose underlying Their revelation hath been to educate all men, that they may, at the hour of death, ascend, in the utmost purity and sanctity and with absolute detachment, to the throne of the Most High. The light which these souls radiate is responsible for the progress of the world and the advancement of its peoples. They are like unto leaven which leaveneth the world of being, and constitute the animating force through which the arts and wonders of the world are made manifest. Through them the clouds rain their bounty upon men, and the earth bringeth forth its fruits. All things must needs have a cause, a motive power, an animating principle. These souls and symbols of detachment have provided, and will continue to provide, the supreme moving impulse in the world of being. The world beyond is as different from this world as this world is different from that of the child while still in the womb of its mother.
(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 155)
...it must necessarily follow that the world in which thou livest is different and apart from that which thou hast experienced in thy dream. This latter world hath neither beginning nor end. It would be true if thou wert to contend that this same world is, as decreed by the All-Glorious and Almighty God, within thy proper self and is wrapped up within thee. It would equally be true to maintain that thy spirit, having transcended the limitations of sleep and having stripped itself of all earthly attachment, hath, by the act of God, been made to traverse a realm which lieth hidden in the innermost reality of this world.
(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 151)
Your questions, however, can be answered only briefly, since there is no time for a detailed reply. The answer to the first question: the souls of the children of the Kingdom, after their separation from the body, ascend unto the realm of everlasting life. But if ye ask as to the place, know ye that the world of existence is a single world, although its stations are various and distinct. For example, the mineral life occupieth its own plane, but a mineral entity is without any awareness at all of the vegetable kingdom, and indeed, with its inner tongue denieth that there is any such kingdom. In the same way, a vegetable entity knoweth nothing of the animal world, remaining completely heedless and ignorant thereof, for the stage of the animal is higher than that of the vegetable, and the vegetable is veiled from the animal world and inwardly denieth the existence of that world -- all this while animal, vegetable and mineral dwell together in the one world. In the same way the animal remaineth totally unaware of that power of the human mind which graspeth universal ideas and layeth bare the secrets of creation -- so that a man who liveth in the east can make plans and arrangements for the west; can unravel mysteries; although located on the continent of Europe can discover America; although sited on the earth can lay hold of the inner realities of the stars of heaven. Of this power of discovery which belongeth to the human mind, this power which can grasp abstract and universal ideas, the animal remaineth totally ignorant, and indeed denieth its existence.

In the same way, the denizens of this earth are completely unaware of the world of the Kingdom and deny the existence thereof. They ask, for example: 'Where is the Kingdom? Where is the Lord of the Kingdom?' These people are even as the mineral and the vegetable, who know nothing whatever of the animal and the human realm; they see it not; they find it not. Yet the mineral and vegetable, the animal and man, are all living here together in this world of existence.
(Abdu'l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha, p. 193)
It is even possible that the condition of those who have died in sin and unbelief may become changed -- that is to say, they may become the object of pardon through the bounty of God, not through His justice -- for bounty is giving without desert, and justice is giving what is deserved. As we have power to pray for these souls here, so likewise we shall possess the same power in the other world, which is the Kingdom of God. Are not all the people in that world the creatures of God? Therefore, in that world also they can make progress. As here they can receive light by their supplications, there also they can plead for forgiveness and receive light through entreaties and supplications. Thus as souls in this world, through the help of the supplications, the entreaties and the prayers of the holy ones, can acquire development, so is it the same after death. Through their own prayers and supplications they can also progress, more especially when they are the object of the intercession of the Holy Manifestations.
(Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 232)
In a talk just after the Titanic:

Therefore, although we feel sad and disheartened, we must supplicate God to turn our hearts to the Kingdom and pray for these departed souls with faith in His infinite mercy so that, although they have been deprived of this earthly life, they may enjoy a new existence in the supreme mansions of the Heavenly Father.
(Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 47)
'Can a departed soul converse with someone still on earth?'

'Abdu'l-Bahá. -- 'A conversation can be held, but not as our conversation. There is no doubt that the forces of the higher worlds interplay with the forces of this plane. The heart of man is open to inspiration; this is spiritual communication.
(Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 179)
Just a limited few

With warm greetings

Romane