There is no such thing as God

Jun 2011
Somewhere "in this immensity"
There is no such thing as God, my friends.

Discuss.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Now here is an interesting topic.
Whatever we consider is God I am sure is just an illusion.

I find it interesting to read in our writings, concerning Baha'u'llah that the believers who wish to consider Him as God and those who wish to consider Him as less are both correct and we should not argue on the subject.
loving regards
bill

Nov 2012
Florida
Things which are understood by men cannot be outside their capacity for understanding, so that it is impossible for the heart of man to comprehend the nature of the Majesty of God. Our imagination can only picture that which it is able to create.

The power of the understanding differs in degree in the various kingdoms of creation. The mineral, vegetable, and animal realms are each incapable of understanding any creation beyond their own. The mineral cannot imagine the growing power of the plant. The tree cannot understand the power of movement in the animal, neither can it comprehend what it would mean to possess sight, hearing or the sense of smell. These all belong to the physical creation.

Man also shares in this creation; but it is not possible for either of the lower kingdoms to understand that which takes place in the mind of man. The animal cannot realize the intelligence of a human being, he only knows that which is perceived by his animal senses, he cannot imagine anything in the abstract. An animal could not learn that the world is round, that the earth revolves round the sun, or the construction of the electric telegraph. These things are only possible to man. Man is the highest work of creation, the nearest to God of all creatures.

All superior kingdoms are incomprehensible to the inferior; how therefore could it be possible that the creature, man, should understand the almighty Creator of all?

That which we imagine, is not the Reality of God; He, the Unknowable, the Unthinkable, is far beyond the highest conception of man. -Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, pp 24-25

Mar 2011
us
Clearly people take it that you made the above statement symbolically. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I should say your choice of words is unlike anything a true believer would say.

Having said that, your statement is self-evident as the highest station to which the word 'thing' applies is the Will, meaning that God is not a thing.

Which begs the question, what is there to discuss?

Sep 2010
United Kingdom

Discuss.
Agreed, since God isn't a "thing" but the originator of everything, there is no such 'thing' as God:

"...We do not know what God is. God Himself does not know what He is because He is not anything. Literally God is not, because He transcends being..."

- Johannes Scotus Eriugena c. 815 – c. 877) Irish Catholic theologian and philosopher

Jul 2011
n ireland
Agreed, since God isn't a "thing" but the originator of everything, there is no such 'thing' as God:

"...We do not know what God is. God Himself does not know what He is because He is not anything. Literally God is not, because He transcends being..."

- Johannes Scotus Eriugena c. 815 – c. 877) Irish Catholic theologian and philosopher
Agreed absolutely. Indeed there is no such "thing" as God. God is undefinable and certainly not a thing! God was before time and will be after time

Jun 2011
Clearly people take it that you made the above statement symbolically. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I should say your choice of words is unlike anything a true believer would say.

Having said that, your statement is self-evident as the highest station to which the word 'thing' applies is the Will, meaning that God is not a thing.

Which begs the question, what is there to discuss?
Au contraire, my friend, for every true believer no doubt sojourns in the Valley of True Poverty and Absolute Nothingness and testifies to this truth.

Jun 2011
Now here is an interesting topic.
Whatever we consider is God I am sure is just an illusion.

I find it interesting to read in our writings, concerning Baha'u'llah that the believers who wish to consider Him as God and those who wish to consider Him as less are both correct and we should not argue on the subject.
loving regards
bill
Ah yes, a new robe of the trinity debate, is it not?

Jun 2011

It is really great to see you back, old friend.

Your theologian philosopher has made a very cogent and succinct statement that is very much what the Baha'i writings state, with the small possible exception of God not knowing himself; my understanding of the Baha'i writings is that God actually is comprehended by his own essence, but I will revisit the writings and specifically seek to clarify this point and see if there is unity on it. Either way, it is an excellent statement on the Unknowable Essence that all things worship and some things call God.