There is no such thing as God

Kam

Jun 2015
Perth, Australia
Really wonderful thread!

What bounties we all share in our interfaith commonalities :)

Kam

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Ah yes, a new robe of the trinity debate, is it not?
Yes as one who has always fought against the concept of trinity, I have found that the subject is far deeper than my weak first thoughts, have had to rethink that though being partially correct in my thoughts there is room for another different understanding.

And dear Yashua

Its true, the understanding of Eriugena - the minority view in his day, although still permitted and adhered to by a substantial number of theologians but basically unheard of among the laity - has since the late 19th century become the mainstream "orthodox" position.
The Catholic Church had realized around 1908, when it published Catechism of St. Pius, that the competing "material fires" view of hell as an actual ontological place of actual suffering was untenable to the contemporary mind. Thankfully, we had a competing view in our tradition (though a minority one) of hell being a state of mind thanks to Eriugena (and supported by numerous individual theologians after him) that was perfect for the new era.

Trust me, it helps us get out of some really icky problems concerning the justice of God that afflict our Evangelical, Muslim and other brothers.
Dear friend it is a shame that the broader church appears to not accept these things you are showing us, the teachings of Baha'u'llah preceding the time the church came to this belief, were in fact guiding all on these subjects. As our faith teaches us when the Manifestation of God appears there is a new power released in the world that Guides holy souls to understanding apart from the obvious Manifestation Himself. When speaking in Catholic forums of these very things we are attacked with vigor. Sad is it not.
Anyway dear friend thank you for your presence here, my respect for your faith grows in leaps and bounds, I feel a new era in your faith has come with your new Pope.
Loving regards
bill

Sep 2010
United Kingdom
The Persian Bayan

"...Aught besides God to which the word ‘thing’ applieth, is a creature constrained in the bounds of creation.

The sum of this chapter is this:

God hath caused to descend in the Bayán the words that are the gathering point of all knowledge, and those words are these: “Verily, I am God! There is none other God but Me. Aught else beside Me is, in truth, my handiwork. Wherefore, fear Me, O my creatures!”[2]

All besides God, to which the word ‘thing’ applieth, is His creature, bound within the limitations of its fashioning, origination, new creation and youthfulness.[3],[4] Nevertheless, the manifestation of Truth occurs in these degrees, since all things manifest God. From the beginning that hath no beginning to the end that hath no end, the sea of names and attributes hath not manifested nor will it manifest anything other than God. This, however, as regards His names and attributes, and not as relates to His essence and divinity, His very Being,[5] for all save God is His creature, and God is adored of all.

Whatsoever is designated by the word ‘thing’, God hath created through the instrumentality of His Will, and the Will He hath fashioned through the Will itself.[6] Thus, in this day, all things are dependent on the Bayán, inasmuch as they are endowed with the spirit of existence, created by the Lord of the Seven Letters, who is the Manifestation of the Primal Will. In each Revelation God’s Hidden Secret is thus made manifest, and within each act of latent being, the command of God is concealed. We have all been created through God’s Intermediary, and we all return to God. God hath created each thing, then caused it to return, and we are sincere servants before Him..."

- The Bab (Siyyid ‘Alí-Muhammad-i-Shirází), from the Persian Bayan, Vahíd III, Báb VI

Jul 2011
USA
There is no such thing as God, my friends.

Discuss.
Perhaps the term, 'God' is too ancient, founded in ignorant times. Not of much use today? Humans have evolved God, Gods, Deities, through time. There were Mountain Gods, Thunder Gods, Elves, Jinns, Ocean Gods, Goddess's, half god half human. Maybe it's time to use another word as God automatically brings forth perhaps an archaic image. Humans apparently assigned the word to give a name to that which they didn't understand and had the power of pain and punishment over them unless they performed a sacrifice to appease the God/Gods/Goddess's/Trolls/ Angels/Devils/etc... Now our sacrifice is to sit through a boring speech/songs and give money to strangers who use the money to create a lavish lifestyle. Gods originally were given physical / mortal images, even to the point of males Gods having sex with mortal women. I can't name any off hand but it's true! It's so hilarious what humans are willing to believe.

Last edited:
Apr 2011
Hyrule
Perhaps the term, 'God' is too ancient, founded in ignorant times. Not of much use today? Humans have evolved God, Gods, Deities, through time. There were Mountain Gods, Thunder Gods, Elves, Jinns, Ocean Gods, Goddess's, half god half human. Maybe it's time to use another word as God automatically brings forth perhaps an archaic image.
Here's my opinion . . .

The distinction between God and gods has been around for millennia. Since gods - whether or not they be thunder gods or sea gods - reside in creation, science has something to say about them. Our views about them will change. God, however, is the transcendent source of existence itself. To paraphrase the words of one of my favorite philosophers, it's an ineradicably present mystery that we must come back to and question over and over in life. So there are two reasons why I think God is an adequate term: (1) I can distinguish between God and gods, so I don't associate the term God with "an archaic image" of the gods you've mentioned above, and (2) God is spoken of in many of our religious traditions as "the infinite wellspring of all that is, in whom all things live move and have their being," and this is a mystery that won't go away.

Last edited:
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
It's so hilarious what humans are willing to believe.
It could be as simple as, it is because what we are not willing to believe.

Then our ability to put into practice what is required of us.

Now we could stand back and rubbish it all, or start making the change by pulling the plank out of our own eyes before worrying about a speck of dust in all other eyes. This one passage really says it all.

Regards Tony

Last edited:
Mar 2011
us
Perhaps the term, 'God' is too ancient, founded in ignorant times. Not of much use today? H... Now our sacrifice is to sit through a boring speech/songs and give money to strangers who use the money to create a lavish lifestyle.
The very belief that God has no control over the name mankind uses to refer to Him means that one believes in a god who has no power or control. That which you have taken as your lord is not the One True God.

Choosing to make such sacrifices as you mention is your own individual choice, it has nothing to do with God. True faith is in your heart and in your communion with God, don't lose that. The outer aspect of faith which translates to religious practices is always secondary to the inner faith.

Some questions: Is God a conscious entity? Does he have a "personality"?

entity: A thing with distinct and independent existence
(entity - definition of entity in English from the Oxford dictionary)

God can not simply be described as a conscious entity, for God is not a thing, and God transcends existence. That being said, God is conscious as suggesting otherwise would mean that He is not self-aware, though the awareness expressed here is not necessarily in relation to others. God is an entity meaning that He is independent of His creatures.

God's personality is known through His names and attributes.

Jun 2011
Somewhere "in this immensity"
Perhaps the term, 'God' is too ancient, founded in ignorant times. Not of much use today? Humans have evolved God, Gods, Deities, through time. There were Mountain Gods, Thunder Gods, Elves, Jinns, Ocean Gods, Goddess's, half god half human. Maybe it's time to use another word as God automatically brings forth perhaps an archaic image. Humans apparently assigned the word to give a name to that which they didn't understand and had the power of pain and punishment over them unless they performed a sacrifice to appease the God/Gods/Goddess's/Trolls/ Angels/Devils/etc... Now our sacrifice is to sit through a boring speech/songs and give money to strangers who use the money to create a lavish lifestyle. Gods originally were given physical / mortal images, even to the point of males Gods having sex with mortal women. I can't name any off hand but it's true! It's so hilarious what humans are willing to believe.
Michael,

Many good points, but I think that the word God and the idea of God are still worthy regardless of their imperfect lineage. After all, we once believed the sun was a ball of fire before fusion was understood yet we have not discarded belief in the sun. Instead, we adjust our understanding about the sun and change our definitions of what the sun is. Similarly, I believe it is better to update our concepts of God rather than discard the word or idea altogether. Adapting a new term simply because our old ideas about God were inadequate won't make much of a difference since even our current and future ideas about God are bound to be exposed as wanting too. So I don't see how ditching the word will do much to improve the situation. It simply goes with limited things trying to fathom the limitless.

Cheers

May 2013
forest falls california
Michael,

Many good points, but I think that the word God and the idea of God are still worthy regardless of their imperfect lineage. After all, we once believed the sun was a ball of fire before fusion was understood yet we have not discarded belief in the sun. Instead, we adjust our understanding about the sun and change our definitions of what the sun is. Similarly, I believe it is better to update our concepts of God rather than discard the word or idea altogether. Adapting a new term simply because our old ideas about God were inadequate won't make much of a difference since even our current and future ideas about God are bound to be exposed as wanting too. So I don't see how ditching the word will do much to improve the situation. It simply goes with limited things trying to fathom the limitless.

Cheers
Baha'u'llah uses the word God. He is the Glory of God.