Thinking of those far away

Jun 2009
earth
Having just logged on and read about the letter from the Universal House of Justice to the Bahá'ís in Iran I was thinking of them.

I think that the message was beautiful. I pray for their strength and hope and happiness.

I wonder if I will ever get to visit the Bahá'í Holy places in a peaceful Iran.

I remember how, in History we read of various religious crusades and how bloody they were. Maybe they were of a time.

I think about this time we live in and I see the evidence of the power of peace. I see the influence and the spread of influence of some peaceful souls who somehow were assertive of what they believed was right despite the might of those against them. I think about the spread of this Faith, so far. I think also of Gandhi and Nelson Mandela. There seems to be a wonderful All Powerful force at play in the world that no human might can quell. It seems like a wonderful powerful wave that carries those who travel in the same direction but sweeps all else in its path.

I feel like there is much to be swept away and it may take time but is unstoppable. I remember in the early 80s when a stand up comic uttered the words "and president Nelson Mandela of South Africa" and we all laughed, as if that would ever happen! I state this as evidence that it is nigh impossible for most of us to predict the future and it has been surprising me quite a lot.

I wonder if much will change. I wonder if everyone in Iran will gain the right to follow the Faith of their choosing in the near future. I do value this right, living where I do, with this right enshrined in law. I hope that everyone in Iran gains the right to education. I am blessed that this was not only a right but compulsory where I live. Maybe nothing will change for now, but it certainly feels as if there is a will there to have a change.

I remember the news stories of people power in the Philippines in the 80s, too. I saw a picture of a protestor poking the stem of a rose into the barrel of a gun held by a soldier who seemed to have no will to use it. Iran does not sound peaceful at the moment but It would be so good to see change come about peacefully and it can happen because it has happened in some parts of the world.

Muslims, I believe, often say "Peace be upon Him" when reffering to the Founder of their Faith. I think that is a beautiful sentiment and may Peace be upon them.

Bahá'u'lláh told us: "These fruitless strifes, these ruinous wars shall pass away, and the 'Most Great Peace' shall come."