Thomas Dowder

Aug 2019
Finland
Hello, everyone!

I just signed up for the forum.

In my recent crisis of faith, I started looking for answers to the meaning of life and existence. And so, a few weeks ago, I found the Bahá'í Faith, and started devouring the Sacred Scriptures, mostly by Bahá'u'lláh and 'Abd'ul Bahá.

My prior religious background is Evangelical Lutheran Christianity, with a lot of inspiration from Judaism, though I am not Jewish myself.

Hidden Words as well as Bahá'í prayers have become a great inspiration to me in a short time, because of their simple mysticism, a call to a personal relationship with God. Also, the ethical values of social action, advancement of civilization and enlightened search for the Truth also have appealed to my desire to have a meaning and direction in life. When it comes to theology and doctrine, I am having most struggles, but I don't think they are insurmountable difficulties in my walk of faith.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
Hi Thomas, and welcome!

I am sorry you have not been warmly received here, but I should explain the reason why. Recently, this site was under a huge spambot attack that overwhelmed the board with so many spam posts the board became literally unusable. As a consequence, many regulars and longtimers, abandoned ship. There had been other incidents in the past, although not quite as bad, and so their frustration is understandable. I do hope they will return.

I am so glad you have found the faith and that it is bringing you closer to God. I too am very attracted to the mystical writings of Baha'u'llah, and so I can completely relate to what you say. Since you are on the mystical path, let me suggest a couple of other collections containing mystical works of Baha'u'llah that I am sure will fascinate you:

The Tabernacle of Unity
The Call of the Divine Beloved

You can access electronic versions online for free, or order them.

Writings of Bahá’u’lláh | Bahá’í Reference Library

Baha'u'llah

Welcome, again!

Reactions: Thomas Dowder
Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
Welcome, Thomas! I am one of those who fled the onslaught of bots. Baha'i Forums is a community of differing wisdoms and experiences, united in their love of this wondrous Faith. Enjoy your search for truth. The journey is a wonderful thing. You will find much information here.

Reactions: Thomas Dowder
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Hi Thomas, I am back after the Bot attack, great to see you here and look forward to sharing Faith and Life.

You have a great attitude to win the battles that life will throw in our paths. We can use these times to become a better person.

Regards Tony

Aug 2019
Berlin
Hi, Thomas,

welcome :) Often it is theology and various doctrines that we have to struggle with. As in the other great religions, there are hierarchies of truth in Bahai faith. The highest form is absolute truth. No religion or spirituality has an exclusive claim or understanding of truth. Most people are looking for absolute truth because it transcends their minds. During this process, insights change and subjective truths change.

Regardless of this subjective search for the truth, which is a fruit of our mind, we as human beings are social beings who find fulfillment only in communion with other human beings. Therefore, above the subjective search for "theological" truth stands the striving for the unity of human beings. On the political level, unity between peoples. On the personal level, unity with the people we meet. In the past the theological differences of the community were superior, in the teachings of Baha'u'llah the subjective interpretation of the truth is subordinated to the unity of the people.

Many greetings
certitude

Reactions: Trailblazer