Thoughts about the Fast

Nov 2012
Florida
As we begin today the annual 19 day Baha'i Fast, here is a beautiful passage from the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States:

In a society that too often seems to celebrate unrestrained consumption, the voluntary act of abstaining from food and drink during the hours of daylight is a source of puzzlement to many of our contemporaries, who wonder aloud why we do this. Some seek to explain the Fast through reference to its physical benefits, maintaining that an occasional fast is salutary to one's bodily health and vigor. But however true, the meaning and purpose of our Fast is not in this. We fast because it is a form of sacrifice, a giving up for God, and sacrifice is good for us spiritually. By so doing, we prove the strength and fidelity of our love for the Creator and our readiness to be faithful to His laws, even should they cause us discomfort. Fasting, so Abdu'l-Baha tells us, is "a symbol of self-restraint". It is, so He goes on to say:

"The withholding of oneself from all appetites of the self, taking on the characteristics of the spirit, being carried away by the breathings of heaven and catching fire from the love of God."

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
wise message. thank you Josh :)
I dislike it sometimes, that people seek to justify laws of God by means of science. although I already know that laws of God are not in conflict with science but in my own view laws of God should be obeyed merely because God wants us to; they need no justifications :)
wish you a good 19 day of fasting :)

Nov 2012
Florida
I dislike it sometimes, that people seek to justify laws of God by means of science. although I already know that laws of God are not in conflict with science but in my own view laws of God should be obeyed merely because God wants us to; they need no justifications :)
Maryamr, and a blessed Fast to you, too!

"The supreme cause for creating the world and all that is therein is for man to know God. In this Day whosoever is guided by the fragrance of the raiment of His mercy to gain admittance into the pristine Abode, which is the station of recognizing the Source of divine commandments and the Dayspring of His Revelation, hath everlastingly attained unto all good. Having reached this lofty station a twofold obligation resteth upon every soul. One is to be steadfast in the Cause with such steadfastness that were all the peoples of the world to attempt to prevent him from turning to the Source of Revelation, they would be powerless to do so. The other is observance of the divine ordinances which have streamed forth from the wellspring of His heavenly-propelled Pen. For man’s knowledge of God cannot develop fully and adequately save by observing whatsoever hath been ordained by Him and is set forth in His heavenly Book."
-Tablets of Bahá’u’lláh, p 267

Sep 2010
Earth
Also to you may your fast be great.

As a Baha'i we know why we fast. We do not worry re the other aspects. We concentrate on the Spiritual.

This is the main answer given to an enquiry as to why we fast.

But the other aspect is what most enquires are directed at, thus an answer needs to be given. Science is now coming to terms with the material benefits of fasting.

I have no doubt that the future research into the benefits of fasting will find that the Baha'i Fast is the perfect balance required for us to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

It is refreshing to know that Gods Words cover both our Spiritual and Material Wellbeing.

God bless all and regards Tony

Last edited:
Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
I remember when becoming a Baha'i, I worried about the Fast.

When it started I hoped the Fast would go fast.loving smile
But when it came to an end, I did not want it to finish, I had learned a valuable lesson, the fast when done in a humble and reverent way, is so powerful spiritually, that one enjoys each day, of discovery, discovering God and also discovering oneself.

Loving regards to all
bill

Jul 2011
n ireland
Unfortunately, due to medical instructions, I'm unable to abstain from fluid. However im fasting from food and finding it most edifying.The slight hunger pangs, which I may or may not notice, bring me closer to The Lord God Almighty and stimulate me to prayer

Nov 2012
Florida
Unfortunately, due to medical instructions, I'm unable to abstain from fluid. However im fasting from food and finding it most edifying.The slight hunger pangs, which I may or may not notice, bring me closer to The Lord God Almighty and stimulate me to prayer

Good for you in that you are doing what you can. :cool:

I was reading one of Baha'u'llah's prayers where He asks God to cancel/forgive the trespasses of all those who obey His laws:

"I beseech Thee, O my Lord, by Thyself, and by Thy signs, and Thy clear tokens, and the shining light of the Daystar of Thy Beauty, and Thy Branches, to cancel the trespasses of those who have held fast to Thy laws, and have observed what Thou hast prescribed unto them in Thy Book."