Tips for Fasting...

Jun 2006
California
Since the Fast is only a few days away...strating dawn Friday I thought I'd gather some ideas that might help us....

For those not exempt from physical fasting here are some eating suggestions, submitted by Bahá'ís around the world, you may want to consider.

"I'm a little concerned by the number of suggestions to drink after you eat. The Writings are quite specific about this: "Take first the liquid food before partaking of solid food." Star of the West, vol. 13, no. 9 (Dec 1922), p. 252"

"Eat mostly fruits in the morning. Avoid mixing acid and sweet fruits."

"Drink a glass or two of water upon waking. Ideally, you wouldn't drink water immediately after eating, but I like to rinse my mouth before sunrise and 'top up'."

"Learn more about 'food combining'."

"Have a large 'snack' before going to bed in the evening."

"Orange juice is way too sugary and will set you up for a huge blood sugar crash after breakfast."

"I tried eating 'dinner' for breakfast (protein, veggies, potatoes) and found I had more staying power."

"Fit for Life recommends not drinking water before you eat - it dilutes the stomach acids. Better to drink after you eat."

"I like to get up at least an hour before before sunrise so that I can eat (meat for me this year) and drink at least two LARGE glasses of water and still have time to say numerous prayers while the sun rises."

"Although I can drink as soon as I awaken in the morning, I literally get sick if I try to eat any thing before I've been up for several hours, so I would have to either get up at 1:00 AM at the latest or just not eat anything before sunrise if I hadn't discovered that a can of nutritional suppliment, such as a generic version of Insure Plus, keeps me going fine until sunset."

"Our small community (15 more or less) gathers for breakfast and dawn prayers during the fast. Each day a different family brings the breakfast - most feel the sense of community and sharing is enhanced."

"For me, the best way to maintain a 'full' feeling is to eat complex carbohydrates with fiber (e.g. oatmeal) in the morning. The complex carbos are digested slowly and so 'stay with you' and the fiber absorbs liquid and can actually expand in your stomach."
"…

for more tips:

Tips for the Bah' Fast

Some of the sites I found are Muslim sites on tips for Ramadan... Since our Fast is somewhat similar I offer these for consideration:

Dr. Farouk Haffejee of the Islamic Medical Association of South Africa
(Durban) has created a list of recommendations for dealing with
Ramadhan in a healthy fashion. They deal with common problems
encountered in Ramadhan.

Dr. Haffejee suggests that in the month of Ramadhan, "our diet should
not differ very much from our normal diet and should be as simple as
possible." He says that our diet should maintain our normal weight,
although he does mention that if one is over-weight, Ramadhan is a
good time to shed some pounds.

He also recommends foods that last longer.

"In view of the long hours of fasting, we should consume slow
digesting foods including fibre containing-foods rather than
fast-digesting foods. Slow digesting foods last up to 8 hours, while
fast-digesting foods last for only 3 to 4 hours," writes Dr. Haffejee.

Read more at

Food habits tips during Ramadhan

Here's another Muslim site:

And this morning meal is generally recognized as the single most important meal of the day. Do not overeat, though. Focus on taking in foods that are rich in complex carbohydrates and protein, fruits or vegetables, and plenty of water. For example: an egg on whole-grain toast, a few crackers with peanut butter, some orange slices, and two glasses of water.

•During the hottest part of the day, stay in cool areas (indoors or in shade) and limit your physical activity. Rest if possible.

•Avoid gorging yourself when breaking the fast at sunset. Follow the Sunnah: break your fast with dates and either milk, water, or fruit juice. After the maghrib prayer, continue with a light starter such as soup and crackers. After a long period of fasting, you need to bring your fluids and blood sugar level up without overdoing it.

Ramadan Health Tips - Health Advice for Fasting Ramadan

Last edited:
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Arthra - Thanks for the tips :yes:

I agree we should partake of the liquid first - It is in the writings. :cool:

Regards Tony

Jun 2006
California
Just picked up some "hints" re. fasting:

Smoking in Relation to the Fast

In one of His Tablets, 'Abdu'l-Baha, after stating that fasting consists
of abstinence from food and drink, further indicates that smoking is a
form of "drink." In Arabic the verb "drink" applies equally to smoking.

In the East, therefore, the friends abstain from smoking during the
hours of fasting, and friends from the East living in the West do
likewise.

But, as stated in our letter to the National Assembly of New
Zealand, this application of the divine law has not been extended to the
friends in the West for the present, and therefore it should not be made
an issue.

Letter from the Universal House of Justice, dated March 15, 1972, to
an individual believer

The Universal House of Justice has instructed us to say that the
prohibition of smoking as an aspect of fasting, as explained in Note 16
on page 59 of the Synopsis and Codification of the Kitab-i-Aqdas has not
yet been applied in the West and therefore the friends should not make
an issue of it.

Letter written on behaf of the Universal House of Justice, dated
July 17, 1980, to an individual believer

The Baha'i Fast

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Is it okay to chew gum during the fast? I am excited for my first fast :) thanks for the tips
Unfortunatly not :cool:

Day 1 just about over - hr to a drink & feed

The first few days are hard as the body starts objecting to not being fed.

Best of luck with it

Regards tony

Dec 2010
Australia
If anything I think chewing gun will stimulate your digestive system, at least i know it stumlates saliva production so it may not be the best idea. I am not sure if there is anything authoritative on taht though.
I imagine chewing flavourless gum would be the same as not ingesting food.

Dec 2010
Australia
Unfortunatly not :cool:

Day 1 just about over - hr to a drink & feed

The first few days are hard as the body starts objecting to not being fed.

Best of luck with it

Regards tony
interesting that is what my mum says. For me the the first few days are easy and later it gets hard...

Jun 2006
California
Is it okay to chew gum during the fast? I am excited for my first fast :) thanks for the tips
Truthseeker,

Let us know how you're doing...!

You know I haven't seen any guidance on chewing gum ... Maybe Tony has seen something but there is something from a Muslim site on chewing gum during Ramadhan that is interesting and may relate:

"It seems that the questioner is referring to the kind of chewing gum which is well known nowadays, which is a rubbery substance that usually contains sugar and artificial flavourings. Chewing this kind of gum leads to breaking the fast, because the sugars and flavourings dissolve in the saliva and enter the stomach. Undoubtedly this breaks one’s fast, because nutrients enter the stomach. But if the gum does not contain any substance that will dissolve and enter the stomach, then it does not break the fast."

Islam Question and Answer - Chewing gum in which there is sugar when fasting

Last edited:
Nov 2011
Downriver Michigan
Well darn i guess its time to break my gum habit , well the first day of the fast went good for me. :) one hard part was after runing the mile in gym class i was thirstily, but i was able not to feel any hunger pains because school kept me bussy . The weekend is going to be harder for me cause i will have nothing to do. Thanks for the replys about the gum :) how many years have you guys been doing the fast?

Jun 2006
California
Truthseeker .. Thanks for sharing and it sounds like your off to a good start.

One of the things I do around lunchtime is start reading the prayers for the fast

Bahá'í Reference Library - Bahá’í Prayers: A Selection of Prayers Revealed by Bahá’u’lláh, the Báb, and ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Pages 238-245

that usually takes about as much time as say a lunch anyway...

You're right in the beginning I found that the first few days are more difficult as your tummy is adjusting and complaining...but since you're healthy you can do it! I've fasted for some years and it did help my discipline .. and prayer life over time..at first it may seem difficult but you'll overcome the hunger pains and be better for it!:yes: