Tips for Fasting...

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
One thing that really helped today was reading the long fasting prayer during the lunch time!

See:

Meditations on the Long Fast Prayer – a Baha’i Perspective | Susan Gammage: Bahai-inspired Life Coaching
That's a good site Arthra - Thanks for that

I usually only have an Aussie breakfast, that is a bowl of cornflakes, milk and with a bit of Honey. I put LSA Mix on top of that.

A cup of Tea and a glass of water and let the day begin :happy:

I try to eat the same size tea as normally I would do, but I have to admit I do have a few extra sweets sitting around for a snack after tea that I would normally not have. :cool:

Day 5 and all is good - Hope all is well with everyone on the Fast

Regards Tony

Jun 2006
California
That's a good site Arthra - Thanks for that

I usually only have an Aussie breakfast, that is a bowl of cornflakes, milk and with a bit of Honey. I put LSA Mix on top of that.

A cup of Tea and a glass of water and let the day begin :happy:

I try to eat the same size tea as normally I would do, but I have to admit I do have a few extra sweets sitting around for a snack after tea that I would normally not have. :cool:

Day 5 and all is good - Hope all is well with everyone on the Fast

Regards Tony
What's an "LSA Mix"? Never heard of that...

My breakfast is similar...Sometimes granola..or maybe pancakes.:)

Jan 2012
Pleasant Plains, Arkansas
I've been eating whatever I can find. This morning I had a liquid breakfast, because I wasn't especially hungry (because I made the mistake warned about above... I overate last night! --_--). Tomorrow I think I'll have a bowl of Ezekiel 4:9 cereal, and some fruit (dried blueberries in my cereal, and an apple on the side).

Last edited:
Sep 2010
Louisiana
Speaking of Toast!

I've been eating whatever I can find. This morning I had a liquid breakfast, because I wasn't especially hungry (because I made the mistake warned about above... I overate last night! --_--). Tomorrow I think I'll have a bowl of Ezekiel 4:9 cereal, and some fruit (dried blueberries in my cereal, and an apple on the side).
If you can have scriptual cereal, can I have holy toast? This is for real:

Holy toast! The Jesus toasters that are flying off the shelves this Christmas | Mail Online

This may be over the top, but it is out there and for real.

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
What's an "LSA Mix"? Never heard of that...

My breakfast is similar...Sometimes granola..or maybe pancakes.:)
Arthra - L.S.A. Mix - Linseed, Sunflower Kernel and Almond Mix

Gives the cornflakes a bit of taste :happy:

Pancakes is a way to go :yes:

Regards Tony

Jun 2006
California
More on the Fast

From Margaret Tash

Why should we fast? What are the spiritual benefits?

“The fasting period, which lasts nineteen days…involves complete abstention from food and drink from sunrise till sunset. It is essentially a period of meditation and prayer, of spiritual recuperation, during which the believer must strive to make the necessary readjustments in his inner life, and to refresh and reinvigorate the spiritual forces latent in his soul. Its significance and purpose are fundamentally spiritual in character.”

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi, January 10, 1936; in Lights of Guidance, p. 233)

How do we know the period of the Fast is special? Baha’u’llah writes: “Thou hast endowed every hour of these days with a special virtue, inscrutable to all except Thee…“ And again: “This is the hour, O my Lord, which Thou hast caused to excel every other hour, and hast related to the choicest among Thy creatures.“ Every hour? Even those hours I’m struggling, looking at my watch, waiting for sunset? Yes!

Did Baha’u’llah say that fasting would be easy? No. What a relief! But read on: “Even though outwardly the Fast is difficult and toilsome, yet inwardly it is bounty and tranquility. Purification and training are conditioned and dependent only on such rigorous exercises as are in accord with the Book of God and sanctioned by Divine law.” (Baha’u'llah, The Importance of Obligatory Prayer and Fasting)

If I’m unable to fast physically, or I’m exempt from fasting, can’t I just roll over and go back to sleep at the crack of dawn? You know the answer! Of course, if you are ill, get all the rest you need. Otherwise, don’t miss the opportunity to pray in the earliest hours of the day. Delve into the mystical prayers that unite our hearts with the Beloved of all hearts. Read the prayers revealed for the Fast, no matter what else is going on in your life. Savor the sweet-tasting words which Baha’u’llah revealed for this time, such as:

“What refuge is there beside Thee, O my Lord, to which I can flee, and where is there a haven to which I can hasten?… No protector is there but Thee, no place to flee to except Thee, no refuge to seek save Thee. Cause me to taste, O my Lord, the divine sweetness of Thy remembrance and praise.” Meditate as you listen to Van Gilmer and the Baha’i House of Worship Choir sing this prayer.

Were any of the sacred texts published for reflection during the Fast? Yes. “He is indeed pleased to know that the book of Prayers and Meditations by Bahá’u'lláh has been out in time to enable the friends to read it during the Fast, and he has every hope that the perusal of such a precious volume will help to deepen more than any other publication, the spirit of devotion and faith in the friends, and thus charge them with all the spiritual power they require for the accomplishment of their tremendous duties towards the Cause…” (Shoghi Effendi, Directives from the Guardian, p. 59) Read the full text of Prayers and Meditations.

More at:

It

Jun 2006
California
Tony wrote above:

"L.S.A. Mix - Linseed, Sunflower Kernel and Almond Mix

Gives the cornflakes a bit of taste"

Thanks Tony for getting back to me on that one...

Sounds great I'll see if I can try it!:yes: