Upbringing and faith

Sep 2017
Earth
This letter from Shoghi Effendi -
The friends are sometimes surprisingly naive and superficial in their approach to the subject of Covenant-breakers. They do not seem to understand that the descendants of Azal, with their mother’s milk, drank hatred of Bahá’u’lláh, just as the descendants of Muḥammad-‘Alí and his relatives have imbibed from babyhood a false concept of the Master. It takes practically a miracle to overcome this lifelong habit of wrong thought.

This letter from the House of Justice -
Through their growing love for Bahá’u’lláh and their personal commitment to the standard to which He summons them will their children imbibe the love of God, “commingled with their mother’s milk”, and always seek the shelter of His divine law.

I have also observed how Pious parents 95% of the time raise pious children, just as the house describe. Even Bahaullahs marriages where the mothers were not as pious, made their children break the covenant and not be pious.

It's clear from both passages that upbringing has massive influence on faith, so Im confused as to why the acceptance of Baha'ullah is not a fair test, as Baha'ullah says religion is purposefully ambigious to test the hearts of men, well it does not seem fair, especially when we all the capacity to accept Baha'ullah but its harder for some 'takes a miracle'

It follows, therefore, that every man hath been, and will continue to be, able of himself to appreciate the Beauty of God, the Glorified. Had he not been endowed with such a capacity, how could he be called to account for his failure? If, in the Day when all the peoples of the earth will be gathered together, any man should, whilst standing in the presence of God, be asked: “Wherefore hast thou disbelieved in My Beauty and turned away from My Self,” and if such a man should reply and say: “Inasmuch as all men have erred, and none hath been found willing to turn his face to the Truth, I, too, following their example, have grievously failed to recognize the Beauty of the Eternal,” such a plea will, assuredly, be rejected. For the faith of no man can be conditioned by any one except himself

Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
Yousefy2:

Thank you for your post of substance. Being always interested in the source of quotes, I found the first two included a letter from the Universal House of Justice to an individual dated January 6, 1998. Having been several years since I had read that letter, I read and pondered the entire letter again.

The last quote from ‘Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh’ (LXXI) I am familiar with. I have always related these words of Bahá'u'lláh’s to His urging those exposed to His Revelation to investigate the truth of His claims for one’s self – “Individual Investigation of Truth”. The paragraph following your quote and quoted below certainly seems to reinforce this principle. “This is one of the verities that lie enshrined in My Revelation—a verity which I have revealed in all the heavenly Books, which I have caused the Tongue of Grandeur to utter, and the Pen of Power to inscribe. Ponder a while thereon, that with both your inner and outer eye, ye may perceive the subtleties of Divine wisdom and discover the gems of heavenly knowledge which, in clear and weighty language, I have revealed in this exalted and incorruptible Tablet, and that ye may not stray far from the All-Highest Throne, from the Tree beyond which there is no passing, from the Habitation of everlasting might and glory.”

Thank you again. -LR

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
This letter from Shoghi Effendi -
The friends are sometimes surprisingly naive and superficial in their approach to the subject of Covenant-breakers. They do not seem to understand that the descendants of Azal, with their mother’s milk, drank hatred of Bahá’u’lláh, just as the descendants of Muḥammad-‘Alí and his relatives have imbibed from babyhood a false concept of the Master. It takes practically a miracle to overcome this lifelong habit of wrong thought.

This letter from the House of Justice -
Through their growing love for Bahá’u’lláh and their personal commitment to the standard to which He summons them will their children imbibe the love of God, “commingled with their mother’s milk”, and always seek the shelter of His divine law.

I have also observed how Pious parents 95% of the time raise pious children, just as the house describe. Even Bahaullahs marriages where the mothers were not as pious, made their children break the covenant and not be pious.

It's clear from both passages that upbringing has massive influence on faith, so Im confused as to why the acceptance of Baha'ullah is not a fair test, as Baha'ullah says religion is purposefully ambigious to test the hearts of men, well it does not seem fair, especially when we all the capacity to accept Baha'ullah but its harder for some 'takes a miracle'

It follows, therefore, that every man hath been, and will continue to be, able of himself to appreciate the Beauty of God, the Glorified. Had he not been endowed with such a capacity, how could he be called to account for his failure? If, in the Day when all the peoples of the earth will be gathered together, any man should, whilst standing in the presence of God, be asked: “Wherefore hast thou disbelieved in My Beauty and turned away from My Self,” and if such a man should reply and say: “Inasmuch as all men have erred, and none hath been found willing to turn his face to the Truth, I, too, following their example, have grievously failed to recognize the Beauty of the Eternal,” such a plea will, assuredly, be rejected. For the faith of no man can be conditioned by any one except himself
You're right that children who have parents that raise them well have a better chance but this is a mercy of God and justice has nothing to do with it. Also after we die I think that God takes into account those who a background that leads them not to have faith. I don't know of anything in the Writings that says that but this is what I believe. Fundamentally we don't know how God judges people.