Was Jesus' death on the cross a sin offering or Not?

Jan 2018
Maine
Found more on Jesus' atonement:

"Christ, Who is the Word of God, sacrificed Himself. This has two meanings, an apparent and an esoteric meaning. The outward meaning is this: Christ’s intention was to represent and promote a Cause which was to educate the human world, to quicken the children of Adam, and to enlighten all mankind; and since to represent such a great Cause—a Cause which was antagonistic to all the people of the world and all the nations and kingdoms—meant that He would be killed and crucified, so Christ in proclaiming His mission sacrificed His life. He regarded the cross as a throne, the wound as a balm, the poison as honey and sugar. He arose to teach and educate men, and so He sacrificed Himself to give the spirit of life. He perished in body so as to quicken others by the spirit.
Jesus' teachings help us to spiritually grow in this world and in the afterlife is how I understand Bahai interpretation now. :yes:

Jan 2018
Maine
In conclusion, we can see that the concept of atonement, as it is understood in the Bahá'í texts, denies the idea that God requires the payment of a blood sacrifice in order for the forgiveness of sins to be achieved; it rejects belief in the inherent supremacy of Jesus over other religious founders and discards the notion that only Jesus suffered and died for humanity’s sake

After reading this I think I will remain a Christian.
I misunderstood this statement! After closer examination of it I decided to become a Bahai! :yes:

Jan 2018
Maine
I didn't know anything about this religion. It sounded cool at first. But now it doesn't sound cool at all. I believe in the atonement of Jesus Christ. I believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of my sins.
So it looks like I can now retract this statement I made a couple of months ago. Because I think that I was just misunderstanding Bahai interpretation. Now my spiritual journey into the Bahai faith begins...:yes:

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
So it looks like I can now retract this statement I made a couple of months ago. Because I think that I was just misunderstanding Bahai interpretation. Now my spiritual journey into the Bahai faith begins...:yes:
It is one of constant discovery of ebb and flow.

You will enjoy your journey in this unlimited knowledge.

Regards Tony

Nov 2015
Canada
You are very much right to say that it was for our spiritual well being. Had he decided to retract his message while being subject to such horrors, his teachings would be invalidated just as the people wanted. However he remained firm and was willing to die for the most true cause: The cause of God.

I would also like to point out to some friends that as of today (May 25th) another man was being tortured and soon to be killed for upholding the cause of God. I know largely the Sikh tradition is not mentioned by Baha'i's, and so I seek to mention that today is the day that the first of 5 days of torture began for Guru Arjan, the 5th Guru of Sikhism. He had guided the Sikh people and compiled the initial version of what would become the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, called the Adi Granth. He had taught the people and kept them strong in faith despite constant persecution, and it was this day that he was arrested and his days of torment leading to his death began.

After refusing to change lines in the Adi Granth that the 4th Emperor of the Mughal Empire named Jahangir did not agree with, he was sentenced to be executed. On this first day he was not given food and was not allowed to sleep. He stayed peaceful and continued to chant the name of the Lord until the coming day, where things would get much worse for him.

I know this is not directly related to the topic at hand, but it ties in. People such as Christ would not think of retracting their revelations, as God had chosen them to deliver His message, and I am sure that Christ knew that even if these people destroyed his body, his message would live on forever. Jesus had died but as a result his teachings were given a seal of truth. A man who was so adamant in faith that, through spiteful words, outright torture, and immense pain in death, he endured all to show people one thing: The cause of God can not be defeated. Truly the death of Jesus has had a tremendous impact on the souls of billions throughout the ages. You are certainly right to say that it has helped us spiritually grow :)

And welcome back!!

I found more on the essence of the manifestations of God:

Two philosophical terms might be useful to clarify the twofold station of the Manifestations that Bahá'u'lláh describes. One is ontology, 'the science or study of being' (Oxford English Dictionary). Ontology pertains to the nature or essence of things. The other term is epistemology, 'the theory or science of the method or grounds of knowledge' (Oxford English Dictionary). Epistemology pertains to what we can know about things. What we can know about a thing is not necessarily identical to the thing itself.

One can argue that Bahá'u'lláh is asserting that epistemologically the Manifestations are God, for they are the perfect embodiment of all we can know about God; but ontologically they are not God, for they are not identical with God's essence. Perhaps this is the meaning of the words attributed to Jesus in the gospel of John: 'If you had known me, you would have known my Father also' (John 14:7) and 'he who has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:9).

Bahá'u'lláh uses the concept of the twofold station to explain seemingly contradictory statements in the Qur'án and hadith about Muhammad:
The first station, which is related to His [the Manifestations] innermost reality, representeth Him as One Whose voice is the voice of God Himself. To this testified the tradition: 'Manifold and mysterious is My relationship with God. I am He, Himself, and He is I, Myself, except that I am that I am, and He is that He is. And in like manner, the words: 'Arise, O Muhammad, for the Lover and the Beloved are joined together and made one in Thee. He similarly saith: 'There is no distinction whatsoever between Thee [God] and Them [the Manifestations], except that They are Thy servants. The second station is the human station, exemplified by the following verses: 'I am but a man like you. 'Say praise be to my Lord! Am I more than a man, an apostle? (Gleanings 66-67).
Good unbiased post.

Thank you.

peace

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk