We need to consult, can we?

Jan 2012
China
Another thought that just popped into my head: I think that the more we distance ourselves from campaigns of denunciation and intimidation, and debates about who to blame and who owes who what, the better it is for Baha'u'llah's purposes, and ours in learning to follow Him together.

Jan 2012
China
Seems we both have gotten stuck at this point and that my sense is that we've both had similar experiences when consultation w/ the freinds has come out in a manner that's been less than pleasant. But we're getting better, we're learning.
I might have a lot more to say about that later, but for now I'll just post some random first thoughts. Rather than trying to agree with each other on specific actions and policies that we would recommend to governments and institutions, our time with each other might be better spent discussing what, if anything, each of us can do in our own lives to help improve how they make their decisions. I think there are things that anyone can do who wants to, to help improve how decision makers and policy makers, at all levels everywhere, make their decisions.

Jan 2012
China
Personally I'm finding it harder to get interested in nutrition controversies even while somehow I keep running into so many of my fellow Baha'is (or they keep running into me) w/ strong beliefs about what we (especially me) should and should not be eating.
My son is pushing veganism as something that needs to be one of our top priorities for all of us. I'm planning on learning about it, and now I'm curious about what industrial and commercial interests might be behind it. That reminds me, I discovered a year or two ago, or maybe more, that the campaigns against cigarettes was driven at least partly by the e-cigarette industry.

Jan 2012
China
In spite of these facts , their is a reluctant among people to change their behavior: to move to alternative energy sources, to reduce their consumption of meat and diary products, and develop alternate building materials.
That might help answer my question about where the push for veganism is coming from.

Jan 2012
China
I read a book, a long time ago (so unfortunately I lost the name), that proposed taking an alternative approach to the issue. Most "solutions" are preventative in nature and suffer from a major issue in that you need to convince literally everyone to go along with them. And in order to get all the nations to agree to these solutions, we ultimately end up with agreements that the climate scientists say will have little to no impact, such as the Paris agreement, since many nations will be (rightfully) indignant at the prospects of post-industrialized nations turning around and preventing them from industrializing and uplifting themselves.

So the book proposed that instead we should be looking into curative measures, rather than trying to prevent climate change. They pointed to one possible inroad to research being the Mount St. Helens eruption, which lowered the world temperature by 0.1 degrees Celsius. Their rough idea was the manufacture and release of the same sorts of volcanic gasses into the atmosphere to cause a cooling effect allowing us to to counteract warming rather than simply trying to prevent future warming.

They argued such a solution would be ideal, since you wouldn't need the consent of every other country to do it, you wouldn't require asking poorer nations to deprive themselves of the economic advancements of modernization, and rather than simply preventing more global warming, you could even undo the warming that had already happened, and counteract even natural, non-man-made climate change events that might occur in the future as well.

More research would probably need to be done to figure out a way that would work, of course, but I think that'd probably be the ideal solution, if research can be done. And there's still a lot of time available to work out a solution to that problem.
I love it. That looks exactly like what I read in one of the BIC statements about climate change.

Jan 2012
China
But, not sure we should try and go beyond that to use science to reverse climate change. We don't know what the possible side effects of any such large scale action would be no matter how many simulation models they project.
I don't agree that we shouldn't try to reverse it, but I think that what you're saying needs to be taken very seriously.

Jan 2012
China
So I am don't think we get far trying to come up with a novel and detailed solution to reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
I don't think that us trying to agree on policy solutions will do anything to help solve the problems, and I think that there are some discussions we could be having that really would make a difference, but I do see some possible benefits in any kind of discussion, if we're doing it to practice consultations.

May 2018
New Zealand
My son is pushing veganism as something that needs to be one of our top priorities for all of us. I'm planning on learning about it, and now I'm curious about what industrial and commercial interests might be behind it. That reminds me, I discovered a year or two ago, or maybe more, that the campaigns against cigarettes was driven at least partly by the e-cigarette industry.
Prohibitions on cigarettes and smoking came in pre- 1990, e-cigarettes were invented in 2003....

Jan 2012
China
More importantly, it's ok if we disagree (also from the Climate letter from the World Centre):
Different Bahá’ís will, given their range of backgrounds, understand ideas about science and climate change in different ways and feel impelled to act differently, and there is no obligation for them to have uniformity of thought in such matters.
Exactly. I think that for Baha'u'llah's purposes, and consequently for our purposes as followers of Baha'u'llah, we don't need to try to find some way to all agree on our ideas about science and climate change, and what to do about it. I think that for our purposes as followers of Baha'u'llah, everything we need to do together about climate change and all other global issues; to help reduce and counteract the damage from natural and human-driven disasters; and to help with progress towards the world of the future envisioned in our scriptures, everything we need to do together is in the framework for action that the House of Justice has been promoting for more than 20 years:
... community building, social action, and involvement in the discourses of society ...
One way I see that this discussion can be part of that if we want it to be, is for each of us to get some ideas, encouragement and support from it, for our own participation in those activities. One way for this discussion to produce some actual fruits in the world around us might be for some or all of us to talk about what we've been trying and hoping to do in those activities, and possibly get some encouragement and support for all that. Then we can talk about our different ideas about climate change and what to do about it, not to try to bring those ideas into agreement, but just to help each other think about safe and healthy ways to bring those ideas with us into those activities.

Reactions: tonyfish58