North America What does Huqúqu'lláh mean to you?

Jul 2014
Texas
I have been making contributions to the Baha'i Fund on a regular basis, but I have never contributed to Huqúqu'lláh. I think that's because I have not grasped the meaning of the Huququ'llah yet. What does Huqúqu'lláh mean to you? :)

May 2013
forest falls california
Spiritual seedcorn

I have been making contributions to the Baha'i Fund on a regular basis, but I have never contributed to Huqúqu'lláh. I think that's because I have not grasped the meaning of the Huququ'llah yet. What does Huqúqu'lláh mean to you? :)
. Coming from a farm background, where at least in the old days, you never ate your whole crop, whether fro you or the critters, but kept back some seed corn for the next season.

. The spiritual principle is the same and it is a divine economy, you might say, that when we participate on this level, as a sacred trust, not only does it bare fruit in this world of material affairs, but the eternal realm, of which this is a foundation.

. There are stories of old people planting trees, the harvest of which they will never see. When asked, they replied that someone had planted trees for them in their youth, which the planters never benefited from in the limited sense of their own individual identity. We have a broader identity to consider, of which we are participants.

. Our spiritual identity is expanded far beyond our individual selves, and the "oneness of mankind" has meaning here as well. We step into a spiritual city, cleansed of selfish interests only, above our animal instincts, trusting in the design of the Architecture of that City. Only the believers are permitted to assist in the building of such a divine structure as will provide for the present and future needs of a divine civilization which is emerging from the ruin of the old world order.

Jul 2014
Texas
Thank you Dale...I like your analogy of farming seeds. Just as the farmer needs to give back to nature (the soil) seeds that will grow into harvest, I need to give back portions of my income that will grow into spiritual harvest.

It seems that every spiritual phenomenon has a counterpart in the physical world too, just as your analogy illustrate. Thank you for your input. :)

May 2013
forest falls california
Mineral, vegetable, animal, human, spiritual

Thank you Dale...I like your analogy of farming seeds. Just as the farmer needs to give back to nature (the soil) seeds that will grow into harvest, I need to give back portions of my income that will grow into spiritual harvest.

It seems that every spiritual phenomenon has a counterpart in the physical world too, just as your analogy illustrate. Thank you for your input. :)

. You know, I've been reflecting on the progression through the various kingdoms which Abdul Baha talks about, and this idea seems to be consistent with that continuous flow to ever higher kingdoms. The mineral attains to the vegitable kingdom, then that goes to the animal kingdom, to the human kingdom, and we again transcend our lesser existence by transforming our energies into the spiritual kingdom.

. Never thought about it that way before, but its logical. The seed leaves the husk behind, the plant leaves the seed behind, etc, etc until we leave our self behind... ;-)

May 2013
forest falls california
Offer up thy soul

That is beautiful Dale...I like the way you analysed transitions in different kingdoms. :)
O SON OF MAN! Bestow My wealth upon My poor, that in heaven thou mayest draw from stores of unfading splendor and treasures of imperishable glory. But by My life! To offer up thy soul is a more glorious thing couldst thou but see with Mine eye.

Jul 2014
Texas
How beautiful...That brings tears to my eyes. But I wonder what does "offer up thy soul" in that Hidden Words mean? Can one give examples of what it means to offer up one's soul? I understand offering up material means, but "soul"? How can that be done? I am just wondering. :)

May 2013
forest falls california
from the Bab

How beautiful...That brings tears to my eyes. But I wonder what does "offer up thy soul" in that Hidden Words mean? Can one give examples of what it means to offer up one's soul? I understand offering up material means, but "soul"? How can that be done? I am just wondering. :)

. "Worship thou God in such wise that if thy worship lead thee to the fire, no alteration in thine adoration would be produced, and so likewise if thy recompense should be paradise. Thus and thus alone should be the worship which befitteth the one True God. Shouldst thou worship Him because of fear, this would be unseemly in the sanctified Court of His presence, and could not be regarded as an act by thee dedicated to the Oneness of His Being. Or if thy gaze should be on paradise, and thou shouldst worship Him while cherishing such a hope, thou wouldst make God's creation a partner with Him, notwithstanding the fact that paradise is desired by men.

Fire and paradise both bow down and prostrate themselves before God. That which is worthy of His Essence is to worship Him for His sake, without fear of fire, or hope of paradise.

Although when true worship is offered, the worshipper is delivered from the fire, and entereth the paradise of God's good-pleasure, yet such should not be the motive of his act. However, God's favour and grace ever flow in accordance with the exigencies of His inscrutable wisdom.

The most acceptable prayer is the one offered with the utmost spirituality and radiance; its prolongation hath not been and is not beloved by God. The more detached and the purer the prayer, the more acceptable is it in the presence of God."

from Selection from the Writings of the Bab

Jul 2014
Texas
That is a beautiful quote by the Bab, Dale...Thank you for sharing it...It touched my soul.

It also reminded me of a talk given by Mr. Ali Nakhjavani on the subject of "consecration"...I guess "offering up one's soul" is like being consecrated. I love that talk by Mr. Nakhjavani. You can watch it on Youtube and the link to it is On Consecration - YouTube

:)

Oct 2013
Glenwood, Queensland, Australia
Good morning Thomas

This is a very good question, and we may be certain that if you are asking this question, there will likewise be many, many more who are in the same position.

First, I think it is important to read the compilation on Huquq'u'llah, both for completeness of subject matter, and as material for meditation and discussion. A .pdf copy is available here ; http://www.miscellanie.com/pdfdocs/comps/bwc-CofC-19-huququllah.pdf.

From the outside, the payment of Huquq'u'llah could appear as an expense (or payment) to, when the reality it is an income (receipt) from. This will become apparent with a slow and contemplative reading of the compilation.

Consider that it is God Who is the source of wealth. Consider likewise that we are His servants. Here lies one of the keys.

God ensures we receive a just "wage," but in return, tells us that some of what He is "paying" us is actually earmarked (in the same way we can earmark part of our contributions to the Fund) for His own special purposes. However, He, in His utmost wisdom and loving-kindness, though telling us this piece of information, still leaves it up to us whether we would put it to the purpose He has prescribed, or whether we use it for our own purposes.

But think - if we earmarked a contribution to the Fund and found it was used for other purposes, would we not be dissapointed in the institution? But, if we find that it is put to the purpose we defined for it, we are more likely to give more, that more can be spent for this purpose.

In the same way, throughh not providing dissapointment, through listening to that which we are told, God, as a result of our listening to Him, will give us more to contribute to His ends, but to do so, He must at the same time increase our income so that we are able to follow His instruction.

All this is a bit simplistic an explanation perhaps, but it is hoped it helps.

With my warm greetings

Romane