What does this mean?

Sep 2017
Earth
Does anybody know the meaning of this, in the last valley of the four valleys - ‘The exalted dwellers in this mansion do wield divine authority in the court of rapture, with utter gladness, and they do bear a kingly sceptre. On the high seats of justice, they issue their commands, and they send down gifts according to each man’s deserving’

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
I think this refers to the Manifestation of God. Remember that the Four Valleys was written before Baha'u'llah declared His mission, so references to Himself as the promised one of the Bab were still subtle and hidden. A few paragraphs before, it says "methinks at this moment I catch the fragrance of His garment blowing from the Egypt of Baha" . This is a reference to a quote from the Bab comparing the prophet Joseph (in Egypt) to the Promised One. The Bab even mentions Baha, so clearly refers to Baha'u'llah.

Sep 2017
Earth
I think this refers to the Manifestation of God. Remember that the Four Valleys was written before Baha'u'llah declared His mission, so references to Himself as the promised one of the Bab were still subtle and hidden. A few paragraphs before, it says "methinks at this moment I catch the fragrance of His garment blowing from the Egypt of Baha" . This is a reference to a quote from the Bab comparing the prophet Joseph (in Egypt) to the Promised One. The Bab even mentions Baha, so clearly refers to Baha'u'llah.
but that would mean the last valley refers to the manifestations of God? but thats not what it seems as a whole. as it does begin by saying If the mystic knowers be of those who have reached to the beauty of the Beloved One (Maḥbúb), this station is the apex of consciousness and the secret of divine guidance. This is the center of the mystery: “He doth what He willeth, ordaineth what He pleaseth.”35

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
but that would mean the last valley refers to the manifestations of God? but thats not what it seems as a whole. as it does begin by saying If the mystic knowers be of those who have reached to the beauty of the Beloved One (Maḥbúb), this station is the apex of consciousness and the secret of divine guidance. This is the center of the mystery: “He doth what He willeth, ordaineth what He pleaseth.”35
This summary should help;

The four are, roughly:

• Those who journey through strict observance of religious Laws.
  • Those who journey to God through the use of logic & reason.
  • Those who journey purely by the love of God.
  • Those who journey by combination of the three approaches of obedience, reason, and inspiration.
This last is considered the highest or truest form of mystic union.

The Four Valleys - Wikipedia

Regards Tony

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
This summary should help;

The four are, roughly:

• Those who journey through strict observance of religious Laws.
  • Those who journey to God through the use of logic & reason.
  • Those who journey purely by the love of God.
  • Those who journey by combination of the three approaches of obedience, reason, and inspiration.
This last is considered the highest or truest form of mystic union.

The Four Valleys - Wikipedia

Regards Tony
Tony,

I agree about the first 3 valleys, there are statements at the beginning of each section that clearly imply 1) laws, 2) reason and 3) love. But to me the fourth valley stands out. I don't see a similar statement to imply it is simply the combination of the first 3 valleys, rather speaks of the "apex of consciousness and secret of divine guidance. This is the center of the mystery: He doth what he willeth, ordaineth what he pleaseth" And so on: every metaphor and allusion shows powers that no mortal human has. "And thus did We show Abraham the Kingdom of the Heavens and of the Earth, that He might be established in knowledge. Wherefore, put thy hand into thy bosom then stretch it fourth with power, and behold, thou shalt find it a light unto all the world."

Can a person obtain this station just by combining following the laws, use of reason and love?

Sep 2018
usa
Can a person obtain this station just by combining following the laws, use of reason and love?
it is incredibly difficult, but the short answer is yes.
there are infinite paths to reach the apex of consciousness.

i think we are forgetting how high the station of human is.
think about it for a second. God, Bahaullah, the Bab, and all these prophets and great beings, literally went through hell just to help us reach the apex of consciousness, and even beyond that, for the human station has no limit.
thats how exalted the station of a human is.

Last edited:
Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
Tony,

I agree about the first 3 valleys, there are statements at the beginning of each section that clearly imply 1) laws, 2) reason and 3) love. But to me the fourth valley stands out. I don't see a similar statement to imply it is simply the combination of the first 3 valleys, rather speaks of the "apex of consciousness and secret of divine guidance. This is the center of the mystery: He doth what he willeth, ordaineth what he pleaseth" And so on: every metaphor and allusion shows powers that no mortal human has. "And thus did We show Abraham the Kingdom of the Heavens and of the Earth, that He might be established in knowledge. Wherefore, put thy hand into thy bosom then stretch it fourth with power, and behold, thou shalt find it a light unto all the world."

Hi JCC, had been a while since I read 4 Valleys.

There is so much in them one could spend a lifetime of meditation upon but this one tablet.

It appears it is a station that is possible, but we know we are not Manifestations, so it is tricky;

A couple of extracts from the 4th Valley,

"this is the realm of full awareness, of utter self-effacement."

Can we say this was Abdul'baha? But then this;

"...The exalted dwellers in this mansion do wield divine authority in the court of rapture, with utter gladness, and they do bear a kingly sceptre. On the high seats of justice, they issue their commands, and they send down gifts according to each man’s deserving. Those who drink of this cup abide in the high bowers of splendor above the Throne of the Ancient of Days, and they sit in the Empyrean of Might within the Lofty Pavilion: “Naught shall they know of sun or piercing cold.”

What can we think here? It says they sit above the Throne of the ancient of Days, which I see as Baha'u'llah.

Then as we approach the end we have this, note the bold section;

"Concerning this realm, there is many a tradition and many a verse, of broad or special relevancy, but two of these will suffice to serve as a light for men of mind and heart.

The first is His statement: “O My Servant! Obey Me and I shall make thee like unto Myself. I say ‘Be,’ and it is, and thou shalt say ‘Be,’ and it shall be.”

And the second: “O Son of Adam! Seek fellowship with none until thou hast found Me, and whenever thou shalt long for Me, thou shalt find Me close to thee.”

Then follows this;

"Whatever high proofs and wondrous allusions are recounted herein, concern but a single Letter, a single Point. “Such hath been the way of God … and no change canst thou find in the way of God.”

Was that single letter, a single point not the Bab?

So JCC, I am but a wayfaring soul in the process of finding my true self, which is God Within with Laws. I can not see what I have not yet found.

Regards Tony

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
Yousefy2

I think the 7 valleys and the 4 valleys are among the most difficult mystic pieces of writings anyone can ever find, so I can only give my personal idea which may look wrong to some and right to others.
I think all the four valleys can be experienced by human beings, if they really do what is asked from them. and the fourth valley is where the wayfarer gets free of the self, dies to himself, and lives in the Truth, and there, the power he finds is the power of the Truth. I dare say Mark 11:23 is also explaining the condition of the wayfarer is this final valley:
""Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. "