What is the significance of the number 9?

Sep 2018
Canada
I see everywhere in Baha'i the same way I see 7 with Vedantists. 9 this, 9 that, or sometimes 19 (Still 9 in it) and I wonder.

Does 9 have a spiritual significance? Why does it come up so often in Baha'i? I do not know for scriptures but many of the books friends have give me they all talk of 9, usually reference to religions from Abrahamism to Baha'i. But it seems 9 is so iconic to Baha'i and I wonder what the point is.

May 2018
New Zealand
The Wikipedia, answer is : it is the highest single-digit number , symbolizes completeness, perfection, the end of a cycle.
In addition, the word Bahá' in the Abjad notation has a value of 9, and a 9-pointed star is used to symbolizethe Baha'i religion.
Someone with more theological knowledge will have to confirm this ..

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
The Wikipedia, answer is : it is the highest single-digit number , symbolizes completeness, perfection, the end of a cycle.
In addition, the word Bahá' in the Abjad notation has a value of 9, and a 9-pointed star is used to symbolizethe Baha'i religion.
Someone with more theological knowledge will have to confirm this ..
Yeah, that's correct. Only thing I can think to add is that being the highest numeral it's also a symbol of "the highest". Thus the name of God "Bahá'" has an Abjad symbolizing "the Highest".

The single name "Bahá'' thus has a multitude of meanings to it.

Aug 2019
Botswana
“Say: This is the hidden knowledge which shall never change, since its beginning is with nine, the symbol that betokeneth the concealed and manifest, the inviolable and unapproachably exalted Name.”4

“Say, Verily, We have caused the signs to descend after nine conditions, each of which is a proof of the Dominion of God, the Protector, the Self-existent, any one of these conditions is sufficient to convince whomsoever is in heaven and earth, but the majority of people are heedless.”5

4. The Kitab-I-Aqdas – The Most Holy Book, Baha’u’llah, page 30, verse 29,
5. Surat’ul Hykl – Sura of the Temple, Baha’u’llah, page 33-4

Aug 2019
Finland
Nine is also the (average) number of months a mother carries a child. A very apt association for a religion that works for the birth of a new, unified humanity :)

Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
From the Baha'i side of things and apart from number properties, etc., 9 is the numeric value of Baha. Every arabic letter has an assigned numeric value hence بهاء
(ب + ه + ا + ء ) summed together equal 9.

Cheers

Reactions: tonyfish58