What is the story behind Ridvan messages?

Sep 2011
Russia
How the tradition of sending Ridvan messages has begun?
Of cause, I know basics about Declaration in the garden of Ridvan. My question is about modern times.

Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
Hello Anton:

Regarding your question about the origin Ridvan messages sent annually, I will offer the following information for your interest.

“Ridvan messages: As early as 1923 Shoghi Effendi sent a letter of encouragement and greeting to the American national Bahá'í convention at Ridvan. Later it was his regular practice to write a Ridvan letter to the Bahá'ís of the world summarizing the progress of the Faith in the previous year and setting out general directions for the coming year. The Universal House of Justice has continued this practice. Other Bahá'í institutions, especially national spiritual assemblies, also sometimes issue Ridvan letters.” (From an article titled ‘Ridvan’ by John Walbridge and published in ‘Sacred Acts, Sacred Space, Sacred Time: Bahá'í Studies volume 1’, Oxford: George Ronald, 1995)

You can read the entire article at Ridvan

Take care. -LR

Sep 2011
Russia
Larry Roofener, thank you! It is the exactly information I was looking for.

Additional question about Ridvan messages:
I’ve noticed at the Baha’i Reference Library there are some Ridvan messages missing for several years. Selected Messages of the Universal House of Justice | Bahá’í Reference Library
For example, there are no such messages for years: 1968, 1976 and 1979-81. But in some Baha’i sources among Ridvan messages counted UHJ’s letters sent at Naw-Rúz. Like this one:
March 1981 – To the Bahá’ís of the World | Bahá’í Reference Library
How that would be explained?
Why were some years left without Ridvan messages?

Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
Anton:

Although sending out Ridvan messages has been a practice, I have never gotten the impression that it was mandatory. Should others on this forum, or elsewhere, not provide answers to your latest query, and if having the answers related to those specific dates be of significant importance to you, I would suggest that you write to the Bahá'í World Center at secretariat@bwc.org Beware though, and from my experience writing to the Research Department, getting an answer from the World Center can take several months and one must exercise patience. The individuals working there are immersed in their prioritized work which understandably must come first.

All the best to you. -LR

Sep 2011
Russia
Thank you for answering my questions! I’m far from saying that sending out Ridvan messages is mandatory. I’m just curious why those particular years were left without usual letters from UHJ to the Baha’i World.