What language is the Short obligatory prayer traditionally spoken in?

Dec 2012
Norway
Would someone from Iran who speaks farsi say it in farsi or is it traditionally said in Arabic? Also if anyone happens to have a link to where a beginner farsi speaker could learn said prayer, that would be great.

Dec 2010
Westland, MI, USA
I do not know whether it was revealed in Persian or Arabic. But when I recite it, I recite it in English using the official translation as printed in the prayer books. Someone whose preferred language is Spanish would recite it using the translation in the Spanish language prayer books.

Jun 2006
California
Would someone from Iran who speaks farsi say it in farsi or is it traditionally said in Arabic? Also if anyone happens to have a link to where a beginner farsi speaker could learn said prayer, that would be great.
The obligatory prayers were originally revealed in Arabic...however they may be recited in other languages through authorized translations such as English, German, Spanish, etc. While we can study the original languages of revelation whether Farsi or Arabic we are not required to pray in those languages.

You can see a cross section of Baha'i prayers translated in various languages here:

Baha'i Prayers in many languages

An example of the short obligatory prayer in Arabic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jki5qiP1EY

Last edited: