What sort of online service is best needed?

Aug 2012
GI, Nebraska
I find myself a server and a desire to create a project for the community. However I am uncertain what sort of project I should create. I am uncertain if another forum with a more active moderating system in place is even wanted or something else entirely.

So I ask you the community what sorts of online services do you think would be of most use?

There is currently nothing uploaded here and this is just the holder but I procured the domain bahaidepot.org for this soon to be project.

Jun 2006
California
Well from my experience here as a guide.. I would suggest some moderation and criteria set up. Maybe establish some goals as to what would be accomplished and how to measure achievement...other wise...it's just a forum and in time will go it's way.

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Yes - In a Forum, I also think Moderation is essential.

As Arthra has said, a good set of Guidelines for use of and as to the intent of the site would be good.

Maybe lists of subjects with applicable links? (I am thinking of a site for easy quick reference to writings and useful talks/articles).

There is so much rubbish out there, it would be good that all the accurate/authentic stuff could be referenced from a single site!

(This could already have been done though I suppose? Maybe the online Baha'i reference library)

Regards Tony

Sep 2012
Panama
... uncertain if another forum with a more active moderating system ...
That is so hard to say because I've seen forums go to one extreme with flaming mobs ruining everyone's conversations, to the other extreme of draconian mod's banning people right and left. The goal (imho) is more than simply saying moderators should be moderate, but rather we need to all care about our sense of community. We're all individuals with our separate lives and needs, and at the same time the fellowship we share here is greater than the sum of its parts.

Sep 2012
Panama
...a good set of Guidelines for use of and as to the intent of the site would be good...
Agreed. Any problems I've had with other forums have pretty much been a matter of rules being made up as we went along.
...so much rubbish out there, it would be good that all the accurate/authentic stuff could be referenced from a single site...
That may be more of an individual thing, the way most people seem to prefer making up the 'facts' upon which they base their opinions. Considering how these same people comprise a humanity that's raised forth an ever-advancing civilization is (imho) irrefutable proof of an active loving Creator.
...the online Baha'i reference library...
Like Ocean and Sifter?

Dec 2011
Maryland
So, what kind of moderating/guidelines would any of you propose?

I think name calling should stop. That's a good one.
There are a couple of career trolls on this site. I wouldn't know how to control that though.

At the same time, I wonder how moderating would still give us the ability to be frank, real, authentic and honest..

Aug 2012
GI, Nebraska
What is actually needed is a complete Baha'i portal, which provides for everything from forums to live streams of conferences to international feast, conventions, meetings...everything. This is all very possible with current technology.

Lets not forget online Ruhi tutoring, can be with real people and later a digital tutor can be easily developed for those who cannot have the real experience.
I think those are some great ideas, you don't have to go into extensive detail here, but what would something like this look like to you? If you could extrapolate a little.

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
That may be more of an individual thing, the way most people seem to prefer making up the 'facts' upon which they base their opinions. Considering how these same people comprise a humanity that's raised forth an ever-advancing civilization is (imho) irrefutable proof of an active loving Creator. Like Ocean and Sifter?
Pete - What I was trying to say is that if you were looking for and wanted to find out truth about the Baha'i Faith you would have to reference an authentic sites.

A new seeker would not be aware of the few covenant breaker sites and as you are aware they are to be not pursued. If one studied these to start with you would be well off track at the start of your journey.

Baha'i Reference Library The authentic Site

Bahá'í Library Online A good independent site

Regards Tony

Mar 2010
Rockville, MD, USA
What is actually needed is a complete Baha'i portal, which provides for everything from forums to live streams of conferences to international feast, conventions, meetings...everything. This is all very possible with current technology.
Ah, you mean like the Planet Baha'i site at:

Planet Baha'i

which does indeed provide many of the things you mention as well as having both numerous threads and a great mix of Baha'is and others! :)

Peace,

Bruce

Oct 2012
Earth
I looked up the source code for Planet Baha'i, the coding uses tables for format instead of CSS, graphic design elements are a bit clunky too.

Lets see what Baha'i Depot turns into :)