When Neuroscientist meets a Mystic

Feb 2019
Chicago
I hope it is ok to post it here. I wish there was an interfaith section where I could post this.

A very fascinating and intellectually stimulating discussion between a Neuroscientist and a Mystic. Neuroscientist and author, David Eagleman, in conversation with Hindu mystic Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev as they discuss a variety of subjects, ranging from different parts of the mind, the concept of time, quantum mechanics, religion, and meditation. The conversation is laced with humor and incisive logic, and moves towards an interesting climax where David Eagleman acknowledges that science and mysticism meet at a certain point.

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Very nice! I watched about half so far. Dr Eagleman expressed the typical materialistic idea that our "self" is all about neurons and synapses. I don't know if that is actually his belief or not, but he expressed it . For instance, is the brain something we have, or does it define who we are? Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev expresses that the body is like the skin of a fruit, it is useful only in that it protects the fruit, which is our spirit. Another interesting point, that both pure science and spiritual search are an expression of human spirit and should be strongly encouraged, but development of technology should be done with careful consideration of its impacts, since it can be both beneficial and harmful.

Feb 2019
Chicago
I am glad you liked it. Dr. Eagleman presents his belief that he is nothing more than the physical body and mind. Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev says the body is food converted to flesh and bones. In other words, it is accumulated from earth and what I accumulate can belong to me but it cannot be "me". At one point, Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev says the chair he is sitting on can belong to him but if he sits on it everyday and claims he is the chair, then there is a problem. Dr. Eagleman is get the point and is left without any words. The scientists are so identified with the body and mind, that they cannot seem to acknowledge the possibility of anything beyond that.