Where in the Baha'i writings?

Aug 2011
uk
Tony, this was with regard to detachment.....this statement apparently was more than being detached from "one's kindred"

Sep 2010
Earth
Tony, this was with regard to detachment.....this statement apparently was more than being detached from "one's kindred"
I have not seen anything like this and can not find it, so I doubt it has been put in context.

Here are some passages on Detachment

"Of him it could be truly said that he was reborn and revived, inasmuch as previous to his belief in God and his acceptance of His Manifestation, he had set his affections on the things of the world, such as attachment to earthly goods, to wife, children, food, drink, and … to the traditions of his forefathers…

"Thou hast inquired about detachment. It is well known to thee that by detachment is intended the detachment of the soul from all else but God. That is, it consisteth in soaring up to an eternal station, wherein nothing that can be seen between heaven and earth deterreth the seeker from the Absolute Truth. In other words, he is not veiled from divine love or from busying himself with the mention of God by the love of any other thing or by his immersion therein."

"Consider a pearl which shineth by virtue of its inherent nature. If it be covered with silk, its luster and beauty will be concealed. Likewise, man's distinction lieth in the excellence of his conduct and in the pursuit of that which beseemeth his station, not in childish play and pastimes. Know that thy true adornment consisteth in the love of God and in thy detachment from all save Him, and not in the luxuries thou dost possess."

Regards Tony

Sep 2010
Earth
An interesting story re detachment

Detachment - PART TWO

As an example of the methods of Abdu'l-Baha's teaching: My father was having difficulty understanding this matter of Detachment. Just what were we supposed to become detached from? We were taught not to become isolated and detached as were the monks in a monastery. It was also an obligation to work and support those dependent upon us. So where did detachment fit into this picture? One day Father asked Abdu'l-Baha about all this. They were walking up Broadway after a meeting and Abdu'l-Baha made no answer. After walking a few blocks, Father repeated his question. Still no answer. They reached 76th Street, where the Kinneys lived and turned left to West End Avenue. As they mounted the outside steps, Father asked for the third time. Abdu'l-Baha reached the front door, opened it, and started up the inner stair to His room, Father pattering along after. They reached the second floor, and turned on up to the third, Father following doggedly. Abdu'l-Baha entered His room with Father close on His heels. And there the Master turned. "Mistair Ives," He asked gently, "Are you interested in detachment?" Father, his face scarlet, was silent. He couldn't say he was and he wouldn't say he wasn't.

Link to a lot of quotes - Compilation on Detachment

None have the meaning inferred above

Regards Tony

Last edited:
Mar 2011
us
Where in the writings does it say "forget your father and your son"?
I recently read what I believe is what you're referring to. The meaning of which, from what I understood is this. There's only one way to God and every soul treads that path alone. There are stages to this and everyone moves forward according to what has been destined for that person. The highest stage, from what I understand, is completely surrendering ones will to God. At this stage communion with God becomes possible and as a proof of our belief and a proof that we have truly surrendered our will to Him, we will be tested in ways unimaginable. One of which is us being tested by our most loved ones!

All will rise to deny God and all His signs and at this stage the true believer is left alone in the world of creation. Father becomes the tool of testing son and son becomes the tool of testing father!

"Verily I say, such is the greatness of this Cause that the father flieth from his son, and the son flieth from his father."

Baha'u'llah, Gleanings

Jun 2006
California
"And further He saith: "Out of his mouth goeth a two-edged sword." Know thou that since the sword is an instrument that divideth and cleaveth asunder, and since there proceedeth from the mouth of the Prophets and the Chosen Ones of God that which separateth the believer from the infidel and the lover from the beloved, this term hath been so employed, and apart from this dividing and separating no other meaning is intended.

"Thus, when He Who is the Primal Point and the eternal Sun desireth, by the leave of God, to gather together all creation, to raise them up from the graves of their own selves, and to divide them one from another, He shall pronounce but one verse from Him, and this verse will distinguish truth from error from this day unto the Day of Resurrection.

"What sword is sharper than this heavenly sword, what blade more trenchant than this incorruptible steel that severeth every tie and separateth thereby the believer from the infidel, father from son, brother from sister, and lover from beloved?

"For whoso believeth in that which hath been revealed unto him is a true believer and whoso turneth away is an infidel, and such an irrevocable separation occurreth between them that they will cease to consort and associate with each other in this world.

"And so it is between father and son, for should the son believe and the father deny, they will be severed and forever dissociated from each other.

"Nay rather, thou witnesseth how the son slayeth the father and the father the son. Consider in the same light all that We have explained and related unto thee."

~ Baha'u'llah, Gems of Divine Mysteries, p. 55