Whispering Prayers

Jan 2011
Detroit, MI USA
I sleep in a room with 3 other people and I was just wondering, If I choose to say some prayers can I whisper the prayers instead if saying them out loud?

Can I whisper the obligatory prayer?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Certainly God can hear whether you whisper or pray loudly, what matters is the spirit with which you pray. We do need to vocalize rather than just reciting it in your mind, because the vocalizsation is a physical aspect of prayer that has a spiritual influence. If you can whisper at a level that doesn't disturb the people around you that is showing respect for others and they may appreciate it. The other option is to find a different room you can pray in or ask the others if they would like to join you in prayer, which I'm sure you have considered. Obligatory prayers should be said when you are alone.

Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
od19g6be:

Briefly, I will offer for your consideration some published words of 'Abdu'l-Bahá related to reciting the Obligatory Prayer, and two other “authorized” sources from two letters written on behalf of the Guardian of the Cause of God. I also offer two quotes of the reported words of 'Abdu'l-Bahá that have been quoted over and again in other "official" Baha’i publications.

With regard to the Obligatory Prayer, this should be said individually, but it is not dependent on a private spot.”

('Abdu'l-Bahá, The Importance of Obligatory Prayer and Fasting, XXII)

“The daily prayers are to be said each one for himself, aloud or silent makes no difference..."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, January 31, 1949: Bahá'í News, No. 220, June 1949, pp. 2-3)

"Reciting" the Greatest Name means to repeat it over and over, silently or out loud...."

(On behalf of Shoghi Effendi, Unfolding Destiny, p. 450)

"We should speak in the…language of the spirit and heart. It is different from our language as our own language is different from that of the animals, who express themselves only by cries and sounds."
"It is the language of the spirit which speaks to God. When, in prayer, we are freed from all outward things and turn to God…Without words we speak, we communicate, we converse with God and hear the answer."

(Reported words of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Bahá'u'lláh and the New Era, p. 85)

“Prayer need not be in words, but rather in thought and attitude. . . .”

(Reported words of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Bahá'u'lláh and the New Era, p. 94; Note: Another source words it as " . . . thought and action")

Take care. -LR

Jan 2011
Detroit, MI USA
Certainly God can hear whether you whisper or pray loudly, what matters is the spirit with which you pray. We do need to vocalize rather than just reciting it in your mind, because the vocalizsation is a physical aspect of prayer that has a spiritual influence. If you can whisper at a level that doesn't disturb the people around you that is showing respect for others and they may appreciate it. The other option is to find a different room you can pray in or ask the others if they would like to join you in prayer, which I'm sure you have considered. Obligatory prayers should be said when you are alone.
Thanks for the advice.

Jan 2011
Detroit, MI USA
od19g6be:

Briefly, I will offer for your consideration some published words of 'Abdu'l-Bahá related to reciting the Obligatory Prayer, and two other “authorized” sources from two letters written on behalf of the Guardian of the Cause of God. I also offer two quotes of the reported words of 'Abdu'l-Bahá that have been quoted over and again in other "official" Baha’i publications.

With regard to the Obligatory Prayer, this should be said individually, but it is not dependent on a private spot.”

('Abdu'l-Bahá, The Importance of Obligatory Prayer and Fasting, XXII)

“The daily prayers are to be said each one for himself, aloud or silent makes no difference..."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, January 31, 1949: Bahá'í News, No. 220, June 1949, pp. 2-3)

"Reciting" the Greatest Name means to repeat it over and over, silently or out loud...."

(On behalf of Shoghi Effendi, Unfolding Destiny, p. 450)

"We should speak in the…language of the spirit and heart. It is different from our language as our own language is different from that of the animals, who express themselves only by cries and sounds."
"It is the language of the spirit which speaks to God. When, in prayer, we are freed from all outward things and turn to God…Without words we speak, we communicate, we converse with God and hear the answer."

(Reported words of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Bahá'u'lláh and the New Era, p. 85)

“Prayer need not be in words, but rather in thought and attitude. . . .”

(Reported words of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Bahá'u'lláh and the New Era, p. 94; Note: Another source words it as " . . . thought and action")

Take care. -LR
Thanks for the quotes.