Why are Baha’is enjoined to teach the Faith?

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
Why are Baha’is enjoined to teach the Faith? It must be pretty important given what Baha’u’llah wrote.

But what is the reason for teaching, the goal of teaching, or is there a goal at all?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does it matter if other religious believers become Baha’is?

Should we only teach the Faith to nonbelievers?

Does it matter if the Baha’i Faith grows larger?

Does it matter that Christ has returned in Baha’u’llah and Christians have not recognized Him, but instead still continue waiting for Jesus to return?

Does it matter that Baha’u’llah was the Messiah and the Promised One of all the religions and those religions have not recognized Him, but instead still continue waiting for the Messiah?

“Wherefore, O ye beloved of God, offer up thanks that ye have, in the day of the dawning, turned your faces unto the Light of the World and beheld its splendours. Ye have received a share of the light of truth, ye have enjoyed a portion of those blessings that endure forever; and therefore, as a returning of thanks for this bounty, rest ye not for a moment, sit ye not silent, carry to men’s ears the glad tidings of the Kingdom, spread far and wide the Word of God.” Selections from the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha, pp. 33-34

“Say: Teach ye the Cause of God, O people of Bahá, for God hath prescribed unto every one the duty of proclaiming His Message, and regardeth it as the most meritorious of all deeds. Such a deed is acceptable only when he that teacheth the Cause is already a firm believer in God, the Supreme Protector, the Gracious, the Almighty. He hath, moreover, ordained that His Cause be taught through the power of men’s utterance, and not through resort to violence. Thus hath His ordinance been sent down from the Kingdom of Him Who is the Most Exalted, the All-Wise.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 278

“O ye beloved of God! Repose not yourselves on your couches, nay bestir yourselves as soon as ye recognize your Lord, the Creator, and hear of the things which have befallen Him, and hasten to His assistance. Unloose your tongues, and proclaim unceasingly His Cause. This shall be better for you than all the treasures of the past and of the future, if ye be of them that comprehend this truth.”Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 330

“Gird up the loins of thine endeavor, that haply thou mayest guide thy neighbor to the law of God, the Most Merciful. Such an act, verily, excelleth all other acts in the sight of God, the All-Possessing, the Most High. Such must be thy steadfastness in the Cause of God, that no earthly thing whatsoever will have the power to deter thee from thy duty. Though the powers of earth be leagued against thee, though all men dispute with thee, thou must remain unshaken.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 339

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Well, let's consider the alternative.

gnat
You are a man of few words. I like that. :)
Yes, let's consider the alternative. :(
The two posters who are the exact opposites in the amount of words offered :)

I understand why you ask Trailblazer, it is never easy being thrown from a place of discussion that says it is a Religious Forum.

Consider, the world has overtaken what it really means to be a person of a Religious Faith. Fundamentalism is now toxic in all aspects of life and words are valued more than deeds. The age of knowledge has empowered people to think they are the sources of their own knowledge and pride in that knowledge is now surpreme over submission to a higher mind.

So my short reply is yes, it matters that we do teach, to teach is for the purpose to teach our own selves. To teach is also to find the wisdom as to when to give your heart and when to hold it, as Kenny Rogers may offer in a well known song :)

What matters now is our Deeds in action in building communities, words belong to all, deeds should be what we are as a Baha'i. The Universal House of Justice has given us that goal, it is not about numbers being callled a Baha'i, it is bout numbers that are empowered to live as a Baha'i.

Difficult times are ahead, this is just the beginning. Saty Strong, Stay happy and no matter what a chat is available here. :ok::D

Regards Tony

Regards Tony

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
The two posters who are the exact opposites in the amount of words offered :)
You know what they say, opposites attract. :)
I understand why you ask Trailblazer, it is never easy being thrown from a place of discussion that says it is a Religious Forum.

Consider, the world has overtaken what it really means to be a person of a Religious Faith. Fundamentalism is now toxic in all aspects of life and words are valued more than deeds. The age of knowledge has empowered people to think they are the sources of their own knowledge and pride in that knowledge is now surpreme over submission to a higher mind.

So my short reply is yes, it matters that we do teach, to teach is for the purpose to teach our own selves. To teach is also to find the wisdom as to when to give your heart and when to hold it, as Kenny Rogers may offer in a well known song :)

What matters now is our Deeds in action in building communities, words belong to all, deeds should be what we are as a Baha'i. The Universal House of Justice has given us that goal, it is not about numbers being callled a Baha'i, it is bout numbers that are empowered to live as a Baha'i.

Difficult times are ahead, this is just the beginning. Saty Strong, Stay happy and no matter what a chat is available here. :ok::D

Regards Tony
Thanks Tony, that is yet one more perspective. I got a couple of good replies when I posted this thread on Planet Baha'i as well.

My problem is that I am not engaged in the Baha'i community or in any social activities so the only way I can have any kind of positive influence as a Baha'i or grow as a Baha'i is online. That probably won't always be the case but that is where I am right now in my life. I can only do so much given my life circumstances so I try to do what I can.

Sep 2010
You know what they say, opposites attract. :)

Thanks Tony, that is yet one more perspective. I got a couple of good replies when I posted this thread on Planet Baha'i as well.

My problem is that I am not engaged in the Baha'i community or in any social activities so the only way I can have any kind of positive influence as a Baha'i or grow as a Baha'i is online. That probably won't always be the case but that is where I am right now in my life. I can only do so much given my life circumstances so I try to do what I can.
I personally see that is what this gift of Faith is all about Susan, it is a personal journey we share with all like minded souls.

There is this prayer to consider;

"The following commune is to be read ... every day:

OGod! O God! This is a broken-winged bird and his flight is very slow—assist him so that he may fly toward the apex of prosperity and salvation, wing his way with the utmost joy and happiness throughout the illimitable space, raise his melody in Thy Supreme Name in all the regions, exhilarate the ears with this call, and brighten the eyes by beholding the signs of guidance.

O Lord! I am single, alone and lowly. For me there is no support save Thee, no helper except Thee and no sustainer beside Thee. Confirm me in Thy service, assist me with the cohorts of Thy angels, make me victorious in the promotion of Thy Word and suffer me to speak out Thy wisdom amongst Thy creatures. Verily, Thou art the helper of the weak and the defender of the little ones, and verily Thou art the Powerful, the Mighty and the Unconstrained." ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Notice the part where it says; "O Lord! I am single, alone and lowly", to me that is each of us in our relationship with God.

It is the giving of self to allow the unconstrained to be the Light that shines from Us.

Thus what you face, is that journey, all the situations that arise within your own self are a bounty to grow.

I wish you always well and happy and I hope we can one and all find a way to help people where we live in this life, or as we are guided to do, free of self. A journey of discovery indeed. 🙏😊😃

Regards Tony

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
I personally see that is what this gift of Faith is all about Susan, it is a personal journey we share with all like minded souls.

There is this prayer to consider;

"The following commune is to be read ... every day:

OGod! O God! This is a broken-winged bird and his flight is very slow—assist him so that he may fly toward the apex of prosperity and salvation, wing his way with the utmost joy and happiness throughout the illimitable space, raise his melody in Thy Supreme Name in all the regions, exhilarate the ears with this call, and brighten the eyes by beholding the signs of guidance.

O Lord! I am single, alone and lowly. For me there is no support save Thee, no helper except Thee and no sustainer beside Thee. Confirm me in Thy service, assist me with the cohorts of Thy angels, make me victorious in the promotion of Thy Word and suffer me to speak out Thy wisdom amongst Thy creatures. Verily, Thou art the helper of the weak and the defender of the little ones, and verily Thou art the Powerful, the Mighty and the Unconstrained." ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Notice the part where it says; "O Lord! I am single, alone and lowly", to me that is each of us in our relationship with God.

It is the giving of self to allow the unconstrained to be the Light that shines from Us.

Thus what you face, is that journey, all the situations that arise within your own self are a bounty to grow.

I wish you always well and happy and I hope we can one and all find a way to help people where we live in this life, or as we are guided to do, free of self. A journey of discovery indeed. 🙏😊😃

Regards Tony
Thanks for the reminder. That is a prayer I memorized a long time ago and I still know it by heart. It also reminds me of what Baha'u'llah wrote:

“Be not grieved if thou performest it thyself alone. Let God be all-sufficient for thee. Commune intimately with His Spirit, and be thou of the thankful. Proclaim the Cause of thy Lord unto all who are in the heavens and on the earth. Should any man respond to thy call, lay bare before him the pearls of the wisdom of the Lord, thy God, which His Spirit hath sent down unto thee, and be thou of them that truly believe. And should any one reject thine offer, turn thou away from him, and put thy trust and confidence in the Lord, thy God, the Lord of all worlds.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 280

Sep 2010
Thanks for the reminder. That is a prayer I memorized a long time ago and I still know it by heart. It also reminds me of what Baha'u'llah wrote:

“Be not grieved if thou performest it thyself alone. Let God be all-sufficient for thee. Commune intimately with His Spirit, and be thou of the thankful. Proclaim the Cause of thy Lord unto all who are in the heavens and on the earth. Should any man respond to thy call, lay bare before him the pearls of the wisdom of the Lord, thy God, which His Spirit hath sent down unto thee, and be thou of them that truly believe. And should any one reject thine offer, turn thou away from him, and put thy trust and confidence in the Lord, thy God, the Lord of all worlds.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 280
I got another warning on RF this morning, quite amazing actually. 15 now I think.

It was on a thread where it was posted in a thread.

It was said "I totally would want to know, ignorance is not bliss."

What else can you answer to that thread 😂😃😜 especially when they wanted to know he he.

Why have a forum, if you can not put an answer to that statement?

I closed down my account to day, I moved out 😜

RegardsTony

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
I got another warning on RF this morning, quite amazing actually. 15 now I think.

It was on a thread where it was posted in a thread.

It was said "I totally would want to know, ignorance is not bliss."

What else can you answer to that thread 😂😃😜 especially when they wanted to know he he.
But you did not say that, a Christian said that. I saw no post from you. I guess the staff deleted it.
Why have a forum, if you can not put an answer to that statement?

I closed down my account to day, I moved out 😜
Now I am convinced, it is not just me. It is because you are a Baha'i.
You can have a belief and an opinion on RF as long as you are not a Baha'i. 😏 :D
You can answer questions as long as you are not a Baha'i. :rolleyes:
You can talk about the Baha'i Faith as long as it is negative. :oops:

Enough is enough. It is best to disembark before getting thrown overboard.

Last edited:
Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
Dear Trailblazer,

“Consort with all men, O people of Bahá, in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship. If ye be aware of a certain truth, if ye possess a jewel, of which others are deprived, share it with them in a language of utmost kindliness and good-will. If it be accepted, if it fulfil its purpose, your object is attained. If any one should refuse it, leave him unto himself, and beseech God to guide him. . . .” (Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, CXXXII)

Now that you have left them unto themselves, it seems appropriate that your next act is to beseech God to guide them . . .
Take care. LR