Why has the Guardian never visit USA or Canada?

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
One must consider that the Guardian had the arm of the learned and that he extended that arm.

This arm was able to impart the Will and Intent of the Guardian on His behalf, thus freeing His time to build the Administrative Order.

There is no Flaw to what has happened, just a deficiency on our part in Vision and Understanding.

Dear friends, never look for fault or flaw look forward to the ultimate goal, The Unity of Mankind culminating in the Most Great Peace.

God bless all with Unity in Serried Lines - Regards Tony

May 2013
forest falls california
The Big "If"

One must consider that the Guardian had the arm of the learned and that he extended that arm.

This arm was able to impart the Will and Intent of the Guardian on His behalf, thus freeing His time to build the Administrative Order.

There is no Flaw to what has happened, just a deficiency on our part in Vision and Understanding.

Dear friends, never look for fault or flaw look forward to the ultimate goal, The Unity of Mankind culminating in the Most Great Peace.

God bless all with Unity in Serried Lines - Regards Tony

"If" we didn't "get it" from Abdul Baha's 9 month journey here, we wouldn't get it from Shoghi Effendi coming here either.

"Whatever God hath willed hath been, and that which He hath not willed shall never be. There is no power nor strength except in God, the Most Exalted, the Most Mighty." The Bab

Dec 2012
Earth
Greetings Anton,

Before beginning It should be born in mind that Shoghi Effendi was an Iranian with an Iranian held passport. During his entire life time he never saw his home country.

'Abdu'l-Baha, in defending the Faith, wrote an interesting letter to the early believers in North American asking them to deny anyone claiming to have been sent by Him into their homes unless they carried a letter of introduction personally signed by Him. Interestingly, this letter also specifically stated they should deny Shoghi Effendi entrance too unless he carried such a letter. It is rather interesting that 'Abdu'l-Baha would have referred to Shoghi Effendi by name like this before the station of the Guardian was ever known about or conferred upon him. In many ways it allows us to understand that Shoghi Effendi was destined to face challenges just like everyone else and that therefore the role of the Guardian had to be earned.

Shoghi Effendi was scheduled to accompany 'Abdu'l-Baha on His western travels, which of course included the US and Canada, but the actions of a few questionable Baha'is, prevented this from transpiring.

Your question then as to why Shoghi Effendi, in the role as the Guardian, never visited the US and Canada is an interesting one to contemplate on. Fortunately a presentation made by Emeric Sala in Ottawa on the 9th Annual ABS conference offers us a clue. But before you open up the link to either read it or listen to the MP3 file, please allow me to echo a question the Guardian posed to Sala in Haifa, because this way you may begin to see the answer to your question:

"Since after the martyrdom of the Bab the authority of the Faith was passed on to Baha'u'llah, after His passing to 'Abdu'l-Baha, to whom was it transferred to after the Accension of 'Abdu'l-Baha?"

Think about this question posed by the Guardian to Sala and think how you might have answered it before proceeding. This way, after you have read the link below, you may be in a better position to answer your original question for yourself.

Naturally I wish you well in reading the following link, but unfortunately it is all in English. Take your time, because some things are worth the study, even pilgrim notes.

Shoghi Effendi's Question

Earth

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Russia
Dear Earth, thank you! It gives a sound explanation to my question. I’m not sure that it is the sufficient answer but it works for me for the time being.
I also like dale ramsdell’s phrase: “"If" we didn't "get it" from Abdul Baha's 9 month journey here, we wouldn't get it from Shoghi Effendi coming here either.”
gnat also poses a valid question: "Why wasn't it necessary for the Guardian to visit America?" But it excludes many very earthly and simple possible answers, like problems with Iranian passport or getting visa, for example.
Thank you all friends here for your contribution!

Apr 2011
Hyrule
but the actions of a few questionable Baha'is, prevented this from transpiring.
Any more details about this? I read "health officials" told him he had trachoma on the first leg of his journey to America in Prelude to the Guardianship. He was sent back. Doctors later told him he didn't have it. So a few Baha'is lied and told these health officials he had trachoma?

Last edited:
Oct 2014
Stockholm
Any more details about this? I read "health officials" told him he had trachoma on the first leg of his journey to America in Prelude to the Guardianship. He was sent back. Doctors later told him he didn't have it. So a few Baha'is lied and told these health officials he had trachoma?
I read about that incident. I think it was in the book by Dr. Youness Khan-i-Afrukhtih. As far as I can recall, it was a little internal plot among the companions of 'Abdu'l-Bahá.

gnat

Dec 2012
Earth
Greetings Ahanu,

Not all stories are as they appear to be because some people sought to obtain power and influence for themselves, so they had no reservations impeding the wishes of 'Abdu'l-Bahá or sabotaging His plans. Today when we look back at the Bahá'í Faith it is much more simple for us to understand because we have a much better understanding of the role and position of 'Abdu'l-Bahá and Shoghi Effendi.

It should also be known that 'Abdu'l-Bahá wished to visit China. Just think how the history of the Bahá'í Faith could have unfolded if both 'Abdu'l-Bahá and Shoghi Effendi were permitted to travel together as they had originally planned.

Sadly not all people that professed to be Bahá'ís were good people. 'Abdu'l-Bahá once explained this very well. He indicated that when He waters the beautiful flowers of the garden He waters the weeds too. I have always liked this analogy because it allows us to understand that there will always be weeds and we should not be too troubled by them. We just need to pluck them from the garden now and then.

'Abdu'l-Bahá and Shoghi Effendi always spoke very highly of people's culture and wrote in such ways as to allow people to understand their true qualities. We must always exercise care not to allow a few poor behaved people to misrepresent a culture or a religion.

I will leave you with the words of 'Abdu'l-Bahá talking about the qualities needed to have an impact on Chinese people and you can see for yourself while those that prevented Shoghi Effendi from travelling would not have been worthy of China.

Earth

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pdWfocOBy9U

Last edited:
Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Dear friend why didn't this or that.
My grandmothers answer was
Because Y is a crooked letter and a W is no better.
In other words stop asking why when no answer is available.
bill

Oct 2014
Stockholm
Now I've found it. It's in The Prieceless Pearl:

"What this journey to the West in the presence of 'Abdu'l-Bahá would have meant to Shoghi Effendi is incalculable, but it was prevented by the machinations of one who later became a perfidious and despicable Covenant-breaker, Dr Amin Fareed, the nephew of 'Abdu'l-Bahá's wife, who caused Him such constant distress that Shoghi Effendi said when the Master returned at length to His home in Haifa on 5 December 1913, He proceeded at once to the room of His wife, sat down and said with a feeble voice, accompanied by a gesture of His hand, "Doctor Fareed has ground me down!" There was never any doubt in Shoghi Effendi's mind that it was due to Fareed that he was prevented from making this historic journey."

gnat