Why is Baha’u’llah chosen over Subh I Azali?

Dec 2019
NY
Hi! I’m new here and mostly just joined to ask this question as there’s no Bahai’s around and Certainly no Bayanis. I’ve been delving deep into baha’i and Babi scriptures and I was wondering why Baha’u’llah is chosen over Subh I azali? Why was Baha’u’llah accepted as Him who will be made Manifest, other than him declaring himself to be Him who will be made Manifest? Why isn’t there an english translation of the Persian&Arabic Bayan? I’ve been reading it in french, but the excerpts I can get in english have made my life a bit easier. It seems like Baha’is don’t put much importance on the Báb anymore, why is that? I have heard conflicting claims that the Báb made either Azali or Baha’u’llah his successor, which was it? Have any of you read “Selections from the Writings of the Báb” translated by Shoghi Effendi? I’ve been reading it and have been really enjoying it. I don’t want to come off like I haven’t read anything from Baha’u’llah either, i’ve read The Hidden Words, The Seven Valleys and The Four Valleys, most of the Kitab Iqan (still reading it), and other tablets by Baha’u’llah. His work is amazing and I really do appreciate his words, but what makes Baha’u’llah a more valid successor than Subh I Azali?

Sep 2018
usa
bahaullah is not the bab's successor.
bahaullah IS the bab.

i wish more people could be able to actually read the persian bayan, and comprehend many common misconceptions regarding this matter.

Jan 2018
United States
Hi Chunckyapple,

I too have been frustrated by the lack of english translations of the writings of the Báb. I think the Baha’i administration is putting most of its translation resources into the the writings of Baha’u’llah right now but hopefully there will be some more from the Báb soon.

If you're interested in the question of successionI would recommend 'The Gate of the Heart' by Nader Saiedi. He one of the best scholars on the writings of the Báb and there is a whole chapter about succession. There are also many translated excerpts that you won't find in 'Selections...'. Reading that book really changed the way I see the Báb's writings, though I still anxiously await a good english translation of the Bayan or the Kitab-i-asma.

I hope that helps!

Dec 2019
NY
Hi Chunckyapple,

I too have been frustrated by the lack of english translations of the writings of the Báb. I think the Baha’i administration is putting most of its translation resources into the the writings of Baha’u’llah right now but hopefully there will be some more from the Báb soon.

If you're interested in the question of successionI would recommend 'The Gate of the Heart' by Nader Saiedi. He one of the best scholars on the writings of the Báb and there is a whole chapter about succession. There are also many translated excerpts that you won't find in 'Selections...'. Reading that book really changed the way I see the Báb's writings, though I still anxiously await a good english translation of the Bayan or the Kitab-i-asma.

I hope that helps!
Thank you for the suggestion! I’ll check it out.

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
What do you mean he is The Bab?
I would think what is being said, is that the whole Message of the Bab was to prepare us for Baha'u'llah.

In saying that, the spiritual metaphors go deed and the Bab's station of the 'Primal Point' is deep in spiritual intent. As we now know, all Gods Messengers are One in Spirit.

"...I swear by God, the Peerless, the Incomparable, the True One: for no other reason hath He—the supreme Testimony of God—invested Me with clear signs and tokens than that all men may be enabled to submit to His Cause...." The Bab Bahá'í Reference Library - Selections From the Writings of the Báb, Pages 11-17

From what I have read about the parts of the Bayan that are not published, is that they may be a guide for the future, that they are most likely more intune to what the Universal House of Justice will need for guidance in times yet to come, they are not needed now. Of course I can not know, I read that from other Baha'is that can read those languages.

I will see what I can offer to your original questions.

Regards Tony

Dec 2019
NY
So I’ve seen these replies and I think I need to add something, what makes Subh i Azal a less fitting leader/successor than Baha’u’llah?

Sep 2010
Hi! I’m new here and mostly just joined to ask this question as there’s no Bahai’s around and Certainly no Bayanis. I’ve been delving deep into baha’i and Babi scriptures and I was wondering why Baha’u’llah is chosen over Subh I azali?
The book to read on this is the One Shoghi Effendi translated so we in the west can gain a better understanding of this Faith. Bahá'í Reference Library - The Dawn-Breakers: Nabíl’s Narrative of the Early Days of the Bahá’í Revelation

This book gives great detail of how that all unfolded and in the end it found fruition in a challenge of Baha'u'llah to Subh-I-azali, to which he could not and did not respond to.

As such, I see this book is very important to our grasp of the Covernant and every Baha'i should read and study the contents of this book.

Regards Tony

Sep 2010
So I’ve seen these replies and I think I need to add something, what makes Subh i Azal a less fitting leader/successor than Baha’u’llah?
The greatest proof is the Self of a Messenger, the life they live and the Word they Give.

Subh-i-Azal failed in Person and life, His gift of Words was from both the Bab and Baha'u'llah, a light that was far to bright for him to sustain.

To me this is Gods bounty to us, to show us what we can become if we in any way shape or form, think that what Baha'u'llah offers through us, has anything to do with our own selves.

Regards Tony