Will there be only one religion in the future?

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
Venu said: “Baha’u’llah never said there will be only one religion eventually. Shoghi Effendi borrowed ideas from the Caliphate model of Islam and dreamed of one religion, one government etc. But that's his dream which will never come true.”

So I told Venu I would post what Baha’u’llah said about that.

Baha’u’llah desired: That all nations should become one in faith and all men as brothers; that the bonds of affection and unity between the sons of men should be strengthened; that diversity of religion should cease.

Baha’u’llah wrote that God ordained: the sovereign remedy and mightiest instrument for the healing of all the world is the union of all its peoples in one universal Cause, one common Faith.”

It seems to me that whatever God ordains always comes to pass, eventually.

This interview with Baha’u’llah took place in the vicinity of Haifa, Israel in April, 1890. The interviewer was “. . . the distinguished orientalist and Fellow of Pembroke College, Cambridge, then at the outset of his brilliant academic career.” (Baha’u’llah by H. M. Balyuzi, George Ronald, London, Reprinted 1968, page 61) The following is taken from this source, pp 62-63.

Edward Browne has left us a pen-portrait of Baha’u’llah. It is the only one of its kind in existence, and therefore of tremendous value to the student of the Baha’i Faith. Today a visitor to Bahji (north of Haifa, Israel) can read this document, before venturing into Baha’u’llah’s chamber. Thus can one try to recreate in one’s mind the interview granted to the English orientalist:

“. . . my conductor paused for a moment while I removed my shoes. Then with a quick movement of the hand, he withdrew, and, as I passed, replaced the curtain; and I found myself in a large apartment, along the upper end of which ran a low divan, while on the side opposite to the door were placed two or three chairs. Though I dimly suspected whither I was going and whom I was to behold (for no distinct intimation had been given to me), a second or two elapsed ere, with a throb of wonder and awe, I became definitely conscious that the room was not untenanted. In the corner, where the divan met the wall sat a wondrous and venerable figure, crowned with a felt head-dress of the kind called Taj by dervishes (but of unusual height and make), round the base of which was wound a small white turban. The face of him on whom I gazed I can never forget, though I cannot describe it. Those piercing eyes seemed to read one’s very soul; power and authority sat on that ample brow; while the deep lines on the forehead and face implied an age which the jet-black hair and beard flowing down in indistinguishable luxuriance almost to the waist seemed to belie. No need to ask in whose presence I stood, as I bowed myself before one who is the object of a devotion and love which kings might envy and emperors sigh for in vain!”

“A mild dignified voice bade me be seated, and then continued: - “Praise be to God that thou hast attained! . . . Thou hast come to see a prisoner and an exile. . . . We desire but the good of the world and the happiness of the nations; yet they deem us a stirrer-up of strife and sedition worthy of bondage and banishment. . . . That all nations should become one in faith and all men as brothers; that the bonds of affection and unity between the sons of men should be strengthened; that diversity of religion should cease, and differences of race be annulled – what harm is there in this? . . . Yet so it shall be; these fruitless strifes, these ruinous wars shall pass away, and the ‘Most Great Peace’ shall come. . . . Do not you in Europe need this also? Is not this that which Christ foretold? … Yet do we see your kings and rulers lavishing their treasures more freely on means for the destruction of the human race than on that which would conduce to the happiness of mankind. . . These strifes and this bloodshed and discord must cease, and all men be as one kindred and one family. . . . Let not a man glory in this, that he loves his country; let him rather glory in this, that he loves his kind . . .”

After returning home Browne wrote “Such, so far as I can recall them, were the words which, besides many others, I heard from Baha. Let those who read them consider well with themselves whether such doctrines merit death and bonds, and whether the world is more likely to gain or lose by their diffusion.”

(Baha’u’llah by H. M. Balyuzi, page 61)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following passage also indicates that there will eventually be one common Faith because this has been ordained by God.

“That which the Lord hath ordained as the sovereign remedy and mightiest instrument for the healing of all the world is the union of all its peoples in one universal Cause, one common Faith. This can in no wise be achieved except through the power of a skilled, an all-powerful and inspired Physician. This, verily, is the truth, and all else naught but error. Each time that Most Mighty Instrument hath come, and that Light shone forth from the Ancient Dayspring, He was withheld by ignorant physicians who, even as clouds, interposed themselves between Him and the world. It failed, therefore, to recover, and its sickness hath persisted until this day. They indeed were powerless to protect it, or to effect a cure, whilst He Who hath been the Manifestation of Power amongst men was withheld from achieving His purpose, by reason of what the hands of the ignorant physicians have wrought.”
The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, pp. 91-92

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
The following video is a depiction the interview Edward Granville Browne had with Baha’u’llah in 1890.

After the interview the significant events in the history of the Baha’i Faith from 1890 – 2001 are shown.

Last edited:
Sep 2018
usa
there has always been a single religion.
we have divided it throughout time, due to our own ignorance.
religion is a living growing partner of humanity, as we grow and advance and our society evolves, so does religion.
for example, the bible is not a separate book from the quran, the bible evolved into quran, the quran evolved into the bayan, the bayan evolved into the aqdas.

“Knowledge is a single point, but the ignorant have multiplied it.”

-Bahá'u'lláh, The Seven Valleys And the Four Valleys , pp. 24-25

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
there has always been a single religion.
we have divided it throughout time, due to our own ignorance.
religion is a living growing partner of humanity, as we grow and advance and our society evolves, so does religion.
for example, the bible is not a separate book from the quran, the bible evolved into quran, the quran evolved into the bayan, the bayan evolved into the aqdas.

“Knowledge is a single point, but the ignorant have multiplied it.”

-Bahá'u'lláh, The Seven Valleys And the Four Valleys , pp. 24-25
Thanks for sharing that quote. I never saw it.

“Immerse yourselves in the ocean of My words, that ye may unravel its secrets, and discover all the pearls of wisdom that lie hid in its depths. Take heed that ye do not vacillate in your determination to embrace the truth of this Cause—a Cause through which the potentialities of the might of God have been revealed, and His sovereignty established. With faces beaming with joy, hasten ye unto Him. This is the changeless Faith of God, eternal in the past, eternal in the future. Let him that seeketh, attain it; and as to him that hath refused to seek it—verily, God is Self-Sufficient, above any need of His creatures.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 136

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
To me, the short answer to the question is no, there will continue to be a multitude of religions at least for the full duration of the Baha’i Dispensation of 1000 years or more. I believe that the Baha’i Faith will be the most influential religion at some point in the coming centuries, but other religions will be respected and continue to have followers who have full rights in society. This is inherent to the nature of the Baha’i teachings, which are based on justice, fairness and respect.

Of course it is also true to say that there is only one religion and there has always been only one.

Jun 2011
Somewhere "in this immensity"
There is now, and always has been, only one religion. Eternal in the past, and Eternal in the future. This is one of the profound and deep teachings of Baha'u'llah. If this statement does not seem to match your experience of reality, and it very well may not, then consider if maybe your understanding of what religion actually is might not be inadequate and in need of adjustment. That is another one of the profound and deep teachings of Baha'u'llah.

Cheers

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
To me, the short answer to the question is no, there will continue to be a multitude of religions....

Of course it is also true to say that there is only one religion and there has always been only one.
Thee is one religion but they are like separate chapters in a book.
One chapter ends and a new one begins....
But some people get stuck in a chapter and they cannot move on to the next chapter.
That's too bad though, because God has moved on.

“They that valiantly labor in quest of God, will, when once they have renounced all else but Him, be so attached and wedded unto that City, that a moment’s separation from it would to them be unthinkable. They will hearken unto infallible proofs from the Hyacinth of that assembly, and will receive the surest testimonies from the beauty of its Rose, and the melody of its Nightingale. Once in about a thousand years shall this City be renewed and readorned….

That City is none other than the Word of God revealed in every age and dispensation. In the days of Moses it was the Pentateuch; in the days of Jesus, the Gospel; in the days of Muhammad, the Messenger of God, the Qur’án; in this day, the Bayán; and in the Dispensation of Him Whom God will make manifest, His own Book—the Book unto which all the Books of former Dispensations must needs be referred, the Book that standeth amongst them all transcendent and supreme.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 269-270

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
The way I see it, there is already only one religion, it's just a manner of not being able to see that fact clearly as of yet.

Though it is a good sign seeing all the other people who have posted the same sentiment here.