Women on the UHJ

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
I have explained in very simple terms. Those who are seeking truth will get it. Those who are set in their beliefs will never get it.
That won’t be very many people because most people are set in their beliefs.

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
You speak your mind freely and don't hide your feelings. Some people seem to believe "God gave us the ability to speak to enable us to hide our feelings" and you are not among them. You and I had our differences because I found that you interpret Bahaullah's words literally while I try to glean the hidden esoteric meaning. Sometimes I may not be successful but I try. As I said, in this particular instance, you are having a problem with Abdul Baha's perspective because he is taking the esoteric approach while you are going with exoteric and literal meaning. I agree with Abdul Baha in this case. The problem is in your own mind because you have created a certain understanding of the Bahai teachings in your mind and the truth that Abdul Baha expressed is not fitting in to your understanding. If the truth is too big for our understanding, we have to expand our consciousness to receive the truth but God and his saints will not alter the truth to fit our understanding.
I do not think we have to choose between esoteric and literal meanings. I think we can interpret the same passage more than one way, esoteric or literal, but some passages only have a literal meaning. For example, Baha’u’llah was either the Promised One or He wasn’t.

“Verily I say, this is the Day in which mankind can behold the Face, and hear the Voice, of the Promised One. The Call of God hath been raised, and the light of His countenance hath been lifted up upon men. It behoveth every man to blot out the trace of every idle word from the tablet of his heart, and to gaze, with an open and unbiased mind, on the signs of His Revelation, the proofs of His Mission, and the tokens of His glory.

Great indeed is this Day! The allusions made to it in all the sacred Scriptures as the Day of God attest its greatness. The soul of every Prophet of God, of every Divine Messenger, hath thirsted for this wondrous Day. All the divers kindreds of the earth have, likewise, yearned to attain it. No sooner, however, had the Day Star of His Revelation manifested itself in the heaven of God’s Will, than all, except those whom the Almighty was pleased to guide, were found dumbfounded and heedless.

O thou that hast remembered Me! The most grievous veil hath shut out the peoples of the earth from His glory, and hindered them from hearkening to His call. God grant that the light of unity may envelop the whole earth, and that the seal, “the Kingdom is God’s”, may be stamped upon the brow of all its peoples.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 10-11

Do you see how similar the teachings of Bahaullah and Jesus are. The teachings of Krishna are also like that. If you take time to meditate and glean the true meaning of Bahaullah's words, you will automatically understand and love the teachings of Jesus, Moses, Krishna, Buddha etc. If you stick to literal meanings, you will have disagreements not just with non-Bahai but also Bahai because not all Bahai are literalists.
I do love the teachings of all the Prophets. The spiritual teachings were the same but Baha’u’llah brought new social teachings and laws and a plan to build a new world order. I am very pragmatic. If everyone rejects Baha’u’llah, as most Christians and those of other religions do, that is going to be unattainable.

“The well-being of mankind, its peace and security, are unattainable unless and until its unity is firmly established. This unity can never be achieved so long as the counsels which the Pen of the Most High hath revealed are suffered to pass unheeded.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 286

If all people care about is their own personal relationship with God and their own salvation then they can just continue to follow whatever true religion they follow because it is all one religion of God, but the reason to be a Baha’i goes further than individual salvation. The Baha’i Faith is about salvation of the whole world.

the purpose of Him Who is the Eternal Truth hath been to confer everlasting life upon all men, and ensure their security and peace, yet witness how they have arisen to shed the blood of His loved ones, and have pronounced on Him the sentence of death.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 115-116

I confess that Thou hast no desire except the regeneration of the whole world, and the establishment of the unity of its peoples, and the salvation of all them that dwell therein.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 243

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did not have time to read the entire passage before and study it so I did not fully understand what Abdu’l-Baha was saying, but now I do. According to the essential meaning of Christian, if one is following the teachings of Christ one is a Baha’i, because the essential “spiritual” teachings of Christ and Baha’u’llah are the same. However, Abdu’l-Baha goes on to say more….

“The difference between a Christian and a Bahá’í, therefore, is this: There was a former springtime, and there is a springtime now. No other difference exists because the foundations are the same. Whoever acts completely in accordance with the teachings of Christ is a Bahá’í. The purpose is the essential meaning of Christian, not the mere word. The purpose is the sun itself and not the dawning points. For though the sun is one sun, its dawning points are many. We must not adore the dawning points but worship the sun. We must adore the reality of religion and not blindly cling to the appellation Christianity. The Sun of Reality must be worshiped and followed. We must seek the fragrance of the rose from whatever bush it is blooming—whether oriental or western. Be seekers of light, no matter from which lantern it shines forth. Be not lovers of the lantern. At one time the light has shone from a lantern in the East, now in the West. If it comes from North, South, from whatever direction it proceeds, follow the light.” The Promulgation of Universal Peace, pp. 247-248

Note that he goes on to say that we must not blindly cling to the appellation Christianity. God, the Sun of Reality, must be worshiped and followed. But that is not what most Christians do; rather, they worship Jesus and blindly cling to the appellation Christianity. They are not seekers of light, no matter from which lantern it shines forth; they look at only one Lamp, Jesus, and they believe He is the only Lamp from which the Light of God has ever shone forth, or ever will shine forth.

According to Christian beliefs there is no problem with this because Jesus is the Only Way, but according to Baha’i beliefs this is problematic, because they have turned away from the Face of God in the Person of Baha’u’llah.

Baha’u’llah chastised the Jews for turning away from Jesus and beholding the Face of God.

“Israel refused to apprehend the meaning of such words as have been revealed in the Bible concerning the signs of the coming Revelation. As she never grasped their true significance, and, to outward seeming, such events never came to pass, she, therefore, remained deprived of recognizing the beauty of Jesus and of beholding the Face of God. And they still await His coming! From time immemorial even unto this day, all the kindreds and peoples of the earth have clung to such fanciful and unseemly thoughts, and thus have deprived themselves of the clear waters streaming from the springs of purity and holiness….” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 20-21

Why should it be any different today? Those of all the older religious traditions are doing the exact same thing as the Jews did when they turn away from Baha’u’llah.

I love the Writings of Baha’u’llah. Baha’u’llah never minced words.

“Say: O peoples of all faiths! Walk not in the ways of them that followed the Pharisees and thus veiled themselves from the Spirit. They truly have strayed and are in error. The Ancient Beauty is come in His Most Great Name, and He wisheth to admit all mankind into His most holy Kingdom. The pure in heart behold the Kingdom of God manifest before His Face. Make haste thereunto and follow not the infidel and the ungodly. Should your eye be opposed thereto, pluck it out. 2 Thus hath it been decreed by the Pen of the Ancient of Days, as bidden by Him Who is the Lord of the entire creation. He, verily, hath come again that ye might be redeemed, O peoples of the earth. Will ye slay Him Who desireth to grant you eternal life? Fear God, O ye who are endued with insight.” The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, pp. 63-64

ams

Nov 2019
Thailand
According to Christian beliefs there is no problem with this because Jesus is the Only Way, but according to Baha’i beliefs this is problematic, because they have turned away from the Face of God in the Person of Baha’u’llah.
Yes, if Christians really see the light of God in Jesus then they would see it also in Baha’u’llah because the light cames from the same sun.

Otherwise they look only at the clothing of the lamp... resulting in worshiping of the clothing.... instead loving the light which was shining through.

Same for Muslim.

Neither Jesus nor Mohammed would contradict.... that Baha’u’llah were their brother in God.

Reactions: Trailblazer
Feb 2019
Chicago
That won’t be very many people because most people are set in their beliefs.

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

I do not think we have to choose between esoteric and literal meanings. I think we can interpret the same passage more than one way, esoteric or literal, but some passages only have a literal meaning. For example, Baha’u’llah was either the Promised One or He wasn’t.

“Verily I say, this is the Day in which mankind can behold the Face, and hear the Voice, of the Promised One. The Call of God hath been raised, and the light of His countenance hath been lifted up upon men. It behoveth every man to blot out the trace of every idle word from the tablet of his heart, and to gaze, with an open and unbiased mind, on the signs of His Revelation, the proofs of His Mission, and the tokens of His glory.

Great indeed is this Day! The allusions made to it in all the sacred Scriptures as the Day of God attest its greatness. The soul of every Prophet of God, of every Divine Messenger, hath thirsted for this wondrous Day. All the divers kindreds of the earth have, likewise, yearned to attain it. No sooner, however, had the Day Star of His Revelation manifested itself in the heaven of God’s Will, than all, except those whom the Almighty was pleased to guide, were found dumbfounded and heedless.

O thou that hast remembered Me! The most grievous veil hath shut out the peoples of the earth from His glory, and hindered them from hearkening to His call. God grant that the light of unity may envelop the whole earth, and that the seal, “the Kingdom is God’s”, may be stamped upon the brow of all its peoples.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 10-11

I do love the teachings of all the Prophets. The spiritual teachings were the same but Baha’u’llah brought new social teachings and laws and a plan to build a new world order. I am very pragmatic. If everyone rejects Baha’u’llah, as most Christians and those of other religions do, that is going to be unattainable.

“The well-being of mankind, its peace and security, are unattainable unless and until its unity is firmly established. This unity can never be achieved so long as the counsels which the Pen of the Most High hath revealed are suffered to pass unheeded.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 286

If all people care about is their own personal relationship with God and their own salvation then they can just continue to follow whatever true religion they follow because it is all one religion of God, but the reason to be a Baha’i goes further than individual salvation. The Baha’i Faith is about salvation of the whole world.

the purpose of Him Who is the Eternal Truth hath been to confer everlasting life upon all men, and ensure their security and peace, yet witness how they have arisen to shed the blood of His loved ones, and have pronounced on Him the sentence of death.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 115-116

I confess that Thou hast no desire except the regeneration of the whole world, and the establishment of the unity of its peoples, and the salvation of all them that dwell therein.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 243

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did not have time to read the entire passage before and study it so I did not fully understand what Abdu’l-Baha was saying, but now I do. According to the essential meaning of Christian, if one is following the teachings of Christ one is a Baha’i, because the essential “spiritual” teachings of Christ and Baha’u’llah are the same. However, Abdu’l-Baha goes on to say more….

“The difference between a Christian and a Bahá’í, therefore, is this: There was a former springtime, and there is a springtime now. No other difference exists because the foundations are the same. Whoever acts completely in accordance with the teachings of Christ is a Bahá’í. The purpose is the essential meaning of Christian, not the mere word. The purpose is the sun itself and not the dawning points. For though the sun is one sun, its dawning points are many. We must not adore the dawning points but worship the sun. We must adore the reality of religion and not blindly cling to the appellation Christianity. The Sun of Reality must be worshiped and followed. We must seek the fragrance of the rose from whatever bush it is blooming—whether oriental or western. Be seekers of light, no matter from which lantern it shines forth. Be not lovers of the lantern. At one time the light has shone from a lantern in the East, now in the West. If it comes from North, South, from whatever direction it proceeds, follow the light.” The Promulgation of Universal Peace, pp. 247-248

Note that he goes on to say that we must not blindly cling to the appellation Christianity. God, the Sun of Reality, must be worshiped and followed. But that is not what most Christians do; rather, they worship Jesus and blindly cling to the appellation Christianity. They are not seekers of light, no matter from which lantern it shines forth; they look at only one Lamp, Jesus, and they believe He is the only Lamp from which the Light of God has ever shone forth, or ever will shine forth.

Baha’u’llah chastised the Jews for turning away from Jesus and beholding the Face of God.

“Israel refused to apprehend the meaning of such words as have been revealed in the Bible concerning the signs of the coming Revelation. As she never grasped their true significance, and, to outward seeming, such events never came to pass, she, therefore, remained deprived of recognizing the beauty of Jesus and of beholding the Face of God. And they still await His coming! From time immemorial even unto this day, all the kindreds and peoples of the earth have clung to such fanciful and unseemly thoughts, and thus have deprived themselves of the clear waters streaming from the springs of purity and holiness….” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 20-21

Why should it be any different today? Those of all the older religious traditions are doing the exact same thing as the Jews did when they turn away from Baha’u’llah.

I love the Writings of Baha’u’llah. Baha’u’llah never minced words.

“Say: O peoples of all faiths! Walk not in the ways of them that followed the Pharisees and thus veiled themselves from the Spirit. They truly have strayed and are in error. The Ancient Beauty is come in His Most Great Name, and He wisheth to admit all mankind into His most holy Kingdom. The pure in heart behold the Kingdom of God manifest before His Face. Make haste thereunto and follow not the infidel and the ungodly. Should your eye be opposed thereto, pluck it out. 2 Thus hath it been decreed by the Pen of the Ancient of Days, as bidden by Him Who is the Lord of the entire creation. He, verily, hath come again that ye might be redeemed, O peoples of the earth. Will ye slay Him Who desireth to grant you eternal life? Fear God, O ye who are endued with insight.” The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, pp. 63-64
I agree that not all the teachings of the scriptures have esoteric meanings. But every religion has been founded on the mystical experiences of the prophets which they have expressed through esoteric teachings. And so the esoteric teachings constitute the pinnacle of spiritual realization one can attain while the dos and don'ts - the commandments - form the foundation of the religion.

There is no need to criticize the people of any religion unless their acts are harmful to others. Looking down upon people for their inability to understand or practice their religion "correctly" is not helpful either for promoting brotherhood. Generally speaking, most people in a given religion do not seriously practice their religion. I go to Bahai gatherings all the time and I see meat being served while Bahaullah actually recommended vegetarian food over meat. Most Bahai seem to eat meat. The Bahai devotional gatherings have a few moments of silence between devotional songs and readings but I have not seen any efforts at promoting deep meditation. Abdul Baha said that a man who does not meditate is lower than a beast. I know only two Bahai who have taken to meditation practices originating in Hinduism and they tell me that the Bahai teachings don't offer any specific meditation techniques and the Bahai are free to choose whichever meditation technique suits them.

Oct 2014
Stockholm
Generally speaking, most people in a given religion do not seriously practice their religion. I go to Bahai gatherings all the time and I see meat being served while Bahaullah actually recommended vegetarian food over meat. Most Bahai seem to eat meat. The Bahai devotional gatherings have a few moments of silence between devotional songs and readings but I have not seen any efforts at promoting deep meditation. Abdul Baha said that a man who does not meditate is lower than a beast. I know only two Bahai who have taken to meditation practices originating in Hinduism and they tell me that the Bahai teachings don't offer any specific meditation techniques and the Bahai are free to choose whichever meditation technique suits them.
Dear Venu,

There is no Bahá'í law prescribing vegetarianism. And, indeed, there are no particular Bahá'í meditation techniques. As I understand the Bahá'í view on meditation, it implies deep reflection. So, I hope that you are not implying that we Bahá'ís do not seriously practice our faith. Maybe your own ideas of what the Faith is about make it difficult for you to see how we practice it.

Best,

from

gnat

Reactions: Trailblazer
Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
I agree that not all the teachings of the scriptures have esoteric meanings. But every religion has been founded on the mystical experiences of the prophets which they have expressed through esoteric teachings. And so the esoteric teachings constitute the pinnacle of spiritual realization one can attain while the dos and don'ts - the commandments - form the foundation of the religion.
Spiritual realization is a personal thing that applies to the individual. Religion is about more than just the individual, it is about the whole of humanity.

“The Great Being saith: O ye children of men! The fundamental purpose animating the Faith of God and His Religion is to safeguard the interests and promote the unity of the human race, and to foster the spirit of love and fellowship amongst men. Suffer it not to become a source of dissension and discord, of hate and enmity. This is the straight Path, the fixed and immovable foundation. Whatsoever is raised on this foundation, the changes and chances of the world can never impair its strength, nor will the revolution of countless centuries undermine its structure. Our hope is that the world’s religious leaders and the rulers thereof will unitedly arise for the reformation of this age and the rehabilitation of its fortunes. Let them, after meditating on its needs, take counsel together and, through anxious and full deliberation, administer to a diseased and sorely-afflicted world the remedy it requireth…” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 215-216
There is no need to criticize the people of any religion unless their acts are harmful to others. Looking down upon people for their inability to understand or practice their religion "correctly" is not helpful either for promoting brotherhood.
I fully agree, so why did you say the following?

"Generally speaking, most people in a given religion do not seriously practice their religion. I go to Bahai gatherings all the time and I see meat being served while Bahaullah actually recommended vegetarian food over meat. Most Bahai seem to eat meat. The Bahai devotional gatherings have a few moments of silence between devotional songs and readings but I have not seen any efforts at promoting deep meditation. Abdul Baha said that a man who does not meditate is lower than a beast. I know only two Bahai who have taken to meditation practices originating in Hinduism and they tell me that the Bahai teachings don't offer any specific meditation techniques and the Bahai are free to choose whichever meditation technique suits them."

Feb 2019
Chicago
Dear Venu,

There is no Bahá'í law prescribing vegetarianism.
I don't think a wise man needs a law for every mundane activity. He should be able to figure out what is good or bad for him using God given powers of reason and observation. Have you thought about why Bahaullah recommended vegetarian food over meat? I can give you common sense reasons, scientific reasons and spiritual reasons.

Carnivorous animals have sharp claws and sharp teeth so they can kill and eat other animals. Man does not have sharp claws and neither are this teeth similar to those of Carnivorous animals. Man's teeth are not suited to bite through animal skin and extract the meat. Even if raw meat is given to man, he cannot chew and digest it. He will have to cook it to soften it and add some condiments or spices to make it tasty for consumption. But when it comes to fruits and vegetables, man can eat most of them without being cooked and they can be digested easily. These simple facts alone demonstrate that man's body is designed for consuming fruits and vegetables.

The process of digestion starts in the mouth when the food is mixed with saliva and is chewed to aid in digestion. And the waste matter leaves through the anus. If you compare the ratio of the length of intestines to that of the body from mouth to anus in humans to other animals, it is found that the ratio is identical in frugivorous animals and much higher in Carnivorous animals. That is because meat takes longer time to digest and so the Carnivorous animals need longer intestines. So when humans eat meat, especially red meat, they are consuming food that their intestines are not designed to digest. As as result, the parts of meat not properly digested remain in the system which turn in to impurities causing diseases like cancer. According to National Cancer Institute, Red meat is associated with an increased risk of colon and rectum cancer, and evidence also suggests it is associated with some other cancers, such as prostate and pancreatic cancer.

Bahaullah recommended a vegetarian diet long before any of this scientific evidence was available. Thousands of years before Bahaullah, the Hindu prophets spoke in favor of vegetarian diet.

The food that you eat turns in to blood and it carries the nutrients to all parts of the body. Simple foods like green leafy vegetables are easily digested and absorbed in man because the hemoglobin molecule in the human blood is nearly identical to chlorophyll molecule in green leafy vegetables. There is only one atom difference. The former has iron atom in the center while the latter has magnesium atom. So the simpler the food is, the greater the ability of the body to absorb the nutrients. The more complex or processed the food becomes, the more difficult it is for the body to digest and absorb the food. The simplest foods are green leafy vegetables , then you have fruits and other vegetables followed by grains and then meat. It is not as if animals happily submit themselves for slaughter. They resist with all their might because they are overcome with fear and hatred and their mental vibrations are transferred to their body because the body and mind are connected. They urinate and defecate out of fear and when people consume their meat the vibrations of fear and hatred and other animal instincts like lack of control over sexual urges get transferred to human beings which does not help in spiritual progress of man.

There are spiritual reasons like compassion and kindness to avoid killing animals. Unless you are violent person, you won't enjoy the sight of going to a slaughter house and watch animals being killed. Given a choice, if you are a normal person, you would prefer to take a walk in beautiful garden with flowers, birds and animals. What does this tell you? By nature, you don't like violence and so the slaughter houses are usually located far away from city centers and only the meat appears on your food plate. Additionally, the law of karma will have its effect on us when we needlessly indulge in violence. Every religion teaches "Thou shall not kill" but people who want to eat meat, selectively apply it to human life only. "Thou shall not kill" to me translates to avoiding violence as much as I can on all levels of my existence recognizing that the way God created life on this planet, complete non-violence may not be possible all the time.

And, indeed, there are no particular Bahá'í meditation techniques. As I understand the Bahá'í view on meditation, it implies deep reflection. So, I hope that you are not implying that we Bahá'ís do not seriously practice our faith. Maybe your own ideas of what the Faith is about make it difficult for you to see how we practice it.
Abdul Baha did not define meditation as deep reflection. Please read his words to understand what he meant. It is very far and different from deep reflection and hopefully you will agree that most Bahai are no where close to practicing the meditation of Abdul Baha.

It is an axiomatic fact that while you meditate you are speaking with your own spirit. In that state of mind you put certain questions to your spirit and the spirit answers: the light breaks forth and the reality is revealed. .
You cannot apply the name ‘man’ to any being void of this faculty of meditation; without it he would be a mere animal, lower than the beasts
Through the faculty of meditation man attains to eternal life; through it he receives the breath of the Holy Spirit—the bestowal of the Spirit is given in reflection and meditation.
The spirit of man is itself informed and strengthened during meditation; through it affairs of which man knew nothing are unfolded before his view. Through it he receives Divine inspiration, through it he receives heavenly food.
Meditation is the key for opening the doors of mysteries. In that state man abstracts himself: in that state man withdraws himself from all outside objects; in that subjective mood he is immersed in the ocean of spiritual life and can unfold the secrets of things-in-themselves. To illustrate this, think of man as endowed with two kinds of sight; when the power of insight is being used the outward power of vision does not see.
This faculty of meditation frees man from the animal nature, discerns the reality of things, puts man in touch with God.
This faculty brings forth from the invisible plane the sciences and arts. Through the meditative faculty inventions are made possible, colossal undertakings are carried out; through it governments can run smoothly. Through this faculty man enters into the very Kingdom of God.

Last edited:
Oct 2014
Stockholm
Dear Venu,

It's obvious that you know our Faith far better than I do. Please start teaching it, and I'm glad that you started with the ignorant members of this site.

P. S. May I choose what kind of animal I am? I'd like to be a dormouse. :)

gnat

Feb 2019
Chicago
Spiritual realization is a personal thing that applies to the individual. Religion is about more than just the individual, it is about the whole of humanity.
Spiritual realization unites people. Religion divides people. You will never be able to unite all the people of the world by identifying yourself as Bahai and hoping that everyone will convert to Bahai faith because people of other religions will identify themselves with their religions and may want you to convert to their faith and that is especially true of today's Islam and Christianity. Even if every person on this planet were to convert to the Bahai religion, it still won't guarantee peace and brotherhood without spiritual realization as evident from the differences and disputes between Abdul Baha and Mirza Mohammed Ali which they could never overcome because Mirza Mohammed Ali apparently lacked the spiritual realization to practice true brotherhood even with his own brother.

I fully agree, so why did you say the following?
I made an observation to make a point because you made the comments below about Christians. My observation was just that and it certainly wasn't criticism or meant to look down on anyone. My point was that there are people in all religions who don't take religion seriously because they are too bound to human nature and true religion is all about overcoming human nature and manifesting divine nature of the soul. That is why both Jesus and Bahaullah said that only a few are sincere seekers.

You said:

Feb 2019
Chicago
Dear Venu,

It's obvious that you know our Faith far better than I do. Please start teaching it, and I'm glad that you started with the ignorant members of this site.

P. S. May I choose what kind of animal I am? I'd like to be a dormouse. :)

gnat
Just in case you may not have noticed, these are Abdul Baha's words: "You cannot apply the name ‘man’ to any being void of this faculty of meditation; without it he would be a mere animal, lower than the beasts"

So you may want to research his works a little more and find the answer to your question.