worldy desire/ things of the earth

mat

Aug 2012
canada
hello,
"He is not to be numbered with the people of Bahá who followeth his mundane desires, or fixeth his heart on things of the earth"

what does earth mean? is it a lower attribute of the soul or material things?????

"approach Me not with lifeless hearts, defiled with worldly desires and cravings."

what does worldly signify? what are examples of worldly desires??? earthly desires?? thank you. :yes:

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
hello,
"He is not to be numbered with the people of Bahá who followeth his mundane desires, or fixeth his heart on things of the earth"

what does earth mean? is it a lower attribute of the soul or material things?????

"approach Me not with lifeless hearts, defiled with worldly desires and cravings."

what does worldly signify? what are examples of worldly desires??? earthly desires?? thank you. :yes:
Mat - Anything that takes you away from practicing the Faith and following the laws of Baha'u'llah could be interpreted as being these things.

It does not mean you have to live a life with no material goods & possessions. It is saying that we must not be attached to them as to prevent us loving God through Baha'u'llah.

We first must gain our spiritual eye, after we have found this we are then in need of wealth to Live & Teach this Faith.

Examples of worldly, mundane, attachment!

I choose to watch a TV Program instead of attending a Feast!
I sit down all afternoon and play a video game instead of reading the writings!
I would keep quite about my Faith if I would be ridiculed for mentioning it!
No matter what happens I want that new boat I just saw, but it would mean I would have to skip a fund donation! etc etc

Examples of detachment!

I attend the Feast and either record the show or do not worry about it!
I read the writings and moderate my video game playing
I mention my Faith and except the reactions that may cause with wisdom
I budget for the boat, I will only purchase it if it is within my means and it does not effect my other commitments!

There is ample more ways of talking about & understanding this, is this the type of thinking you are considering?

Regards Tony

P/S I own a boat and I am looking for a better one :)???? Not sure if I could pass my detachment test :-((

Last edited:

mat

Aug 2012
canada
thank you tonyfish58 for the tips. :yes: :yes:

I do have a strong urge to play lottery. Obviously gambling is prohibited, however about lottery it is stated "... leave it to the consciences of the individual friends....".

Is this urge the result of "mundane desires, and lifeless hearts, defiled with worldly desires and cravings":mad::confused:

Besides it takes less than 20 seconds to buy lottery:cool:. "Waste of time is not acceptable in the Cause of God."

mat

Sep 2010
thank you tonyfish58 for the tips. :yes: :yes:

I do have a strong urge to play lottery. Obviously gambling is prohibited, however about lottery it is stated "... leave it to the consciences of the individual friends....".

Is this urge the result of "mundane desires, and lifeless hearts, defiled with worldly desires and cravings":mad::confused:

Besides it takes less than 20 seconds to buy lottery:cool:. "Waste of time is not acceptable in the Cause of God."

mat
As you said it is up to you :cool: :happy: I know dedicated Baha'is that will purchase A TICKET OR TWO :eek:

In making your decision, It may be worth considering why we are here! That is to know and to love God. To achieve this God helps us with Tests in this life as to help us to obtain to what is destined for us. A big Lotto win would be a big test IMHO :noob: I stopped buying tickets a couple of years ago now. I do not do well at games of chance, never have and thus I decided that - Money can not buy Faith :cool: (But it definitely helps with life's journey :confused:)

Consider what else we could do with the funds we give to Lotto and lets face it 99.9% give it to Lotto :eek:

In the end we leave all what this world gives us behind, so it is really worth considering what is needed in this life for that journey! Each of us have to make that decision and how we go about it, there is no easy answer :surprised:

I wish you luck in Faith and in prosperity :happy:

Regards Tony

mat

Aug 2012
canada
thanks once again for your response. :yes:

All i can say is may God inspire and protect us "whatsoever may be abhorrent unto Thee".

I will try my luck though hahaa:lol:

cya tmrw.

Sep 2010
thanks once again for your response. :yes:

All i can say is may God inspire and protect us "whatsoever may be abhorrent unto Thee".

I will try my luck though hahaa:lol:

cya tmrw.
May the luck be with you ;)

Have a good one!

Regards Tony

Nov 2012
Florida
"Know ye that by "the world" is meant your unawareness of Him who is your Maker, and your absorption in aught else but Him". ..."Whatsoever deterreth you, in this Day, from loving God is nothing but the world. Flee it, that ye may be numbered with the blest". Baha'u'llah, Gleanings, CXXVIII

Last edited: