You became a Bahai during what year?

Jul 2017
Germany
Were you born a Baha'i or did you become a Baha'i? What year?
I was raised a Lutheran Christian of a very liberal kind. My mom told me about Jesus without much "theological" input. She just told me about an divinely inspired figure that fought against prejudice and injustice, hypocrisy and segregation. So He was a great example to me, as well as my mother who was involved with community activities ever since I remember. She had a group, similar to our children's classes, which was called "Kindergottesdienst", served at the local parish council and organized every feast with great devotion.

But I never became convinced by Church dogma (e.g. trinity, original sin, death for the sins of mankind, bodily resurrection, ascension). In the years to follow I started to create my own "theology" which I called Arian because of the similarities it had with the thoughts of the ancient heretic Arius.

I came across the Bahá'í Faith when I started studying religions at university. In the end of our first semester we had to write a thesis. I asked my docent to give me "some exotic stuff". He gave me progressive revelation. :D This was in January 2012.

After that I read every book (including most of the scriptures already translated) I came across. Almost a year later I was convinced that 'Abdu'l-Bahás explanations of Christian core beliefs would perfectly resemble my own thoughts and that I was no longer alone with them. I was also convinced that Bahá'u'lláh was indeed the second coming of Christ after reading the Lawh-i-Aqdas for the first time. This was the first "emotional" moment of my conversion after many months of purely "rational" study.

I then made contact with my local community and was quickly integrated. It took me three more years to finally pen the declaration card because shortly before I encountered the Faith I was elected local president of my party, so that I was responsible for 400 members and 10 subdivisions. After consulting with my National Spiritual Assembly I decided not to instantly leave the party but to bear the responsibility laid on my as long as it would be possible to elect a new president. I retired in March 2016 and declared on the 6th of April.

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
Hi Daniel,

Nice to see someone on here from my neck o' the woods.... I live in Olympia as does my husband Contemplator. I tried to post my New Member introduction but for some reason it did not get posted.

Trailblazer

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
My bother Phil became a Baha'i before me and I learned about Baha'i through him. This was in 1970.
Yet another thing we have in common Duane... I also heard about Baha'i from my brother and became a Baha'i in 1970....

My New Member post never got posted here so I think I will post it now, since people are telling their stories... I love stories about how people became Baha'is. I think most were probably Christians but you and I were not, another thing we have in common! ~~

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
I am new here. Here is a little bit about my religious background. I came from a non-religious family. Both my parents were “fallen away” Christians and nobody in the family ever went to church. I do not recall ever thinking about God as a child. I think my father was an atheist but my mother retained her belief in God. I was not looking for a religion or for God, but I became a Baha’i two weeks after I heard of the Faith from my older brother because I was very impressed with the Baha’i teachings. I believed Baha’u’llah was who He claimed to be but I did not realize the implications of that until much later.

I have been a Baha’i for over 46 years. For most of those years, I had fallen away from the Baha’i Faith for personal reasons, and I hardly ever thought about God in any serious way. About five years ago, I decided to give the Baha’i Faith and God a second chance. Since then, I feel like I have been “born again” and I have dedicated all my free time to the Baha’i Faith except when I am at work.

As a Baha’i, I am mostly interested in proclaiming the Faith and teaching people if they are interested. Baha’u’llah wrote in Gleanings that this is the most important thing a Baha’i can ever do. I take that very seriously.

I am a good friend of Duane’s from the Planet Baha’i forum, which I joined in January 2013. I still post there but I felt the need to expand my horizons. I also have my own forum on Delphi, called The Spiritual Horizon, which is open to all people who want to discuss spiritual matters.

I came here for spiritual sustenance,to make new friends, and to learn whatever I can about the Faith. I would also like to share my knowledge of the Faith with Baha’is or anyone else that frequents this forum.

My most recent educational background is in psychology and homeopathy and those were my primary interests for many years. As such, I look at everything from a psychological as well as a religious perspective.

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
back in November 1970 amongst the folks in Bellingham - great group.
Wow! I cannot believe that! What a small world this is... I declared in Bellingham in December 1970. At that time I was living in Santa Barbara, CA and going to college there, and I was on Christmas vacation visiting my older brother. My brother Peter was quite an active Baha'i in Bellingham, maybe you knew him.

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
Exactly 23 hrs and 32 minutes ago I declared my belief in Baha'u'llah and the Bahai faith!:) I am so happy! It all makes sense now... This is my first post. I am happy to meet my fellow brother and sisters! Allah 'U' Abha!:yes:
Welcome aboard the Baha'i ship and the forum... Many moons ago I also lived in New York... Rochester is where all my parents' families lived, so all my relatives were/are there.

I have "officially" been a Baha'i for over 46 years but I fell away for most of those years, a long story... I started to make my way back about five years ago, and since then I have learned so much.

I can certainly relate to "I am so happy!" I am what you might call a born again Baha'i. As such, I talk a lot on forums... I am new to this one but I have posted on a lot of other forums, mostly comprised of nonbelievers and some with Christians.